Deluded Geordies

But surely it is progressive and aspirational to look at areas previously ignored and develop those. Undiscovered talent and all that.

Look at Billy Elliott. If only he had a world class ballet school in Easington he would have stayed in the NE

It's aspirational of us to want it.

It's realistic of them to locate a business where they can attract staff and produce content that people want to watch.

It's aspirational of us to want it.

It's realistic of them to locate a business where they can attract staff and produce content that people want to watch.
But if its independents producing it does it matter whereabouts the rest is based? Surely most of it will be done electronically anyway?

I was born in Consett, worked in Newcastle most of my life, have an office in Gateshead and am a keen Sunderland supporter. Some of the arguments on here highlight the narrow minded approach up here and why whether you like it or not we have to pull together, It was only last week the Sunderland economy was praised nationally, We have some great talent, some great businesses and its a bloody good place to live. We need to sell the area to survive. Parochialism will leave us floundering. We have great Universities and to stop the brain drain we need to attract the business. I am all for it

I was born in Consett, worked in Newcastle most of my life, have an office in Gateshead and am a keen Sunderland supporter. Some of the arguments on here highlight the narrow minded approach up here and why whether you like it or not we have to pull together, It was only last week the Sunderland economy was praised nationally, We have some great talent, some great businesses and its a bloody good place to live. We need to sell the area to survive. Parochialism will leave us floundering. We have great Universities and to stop the brain drain we need to attract the business. I am all for it

With respect, I disagree with almost everything you have written.

As you seem to have never lived or worked away how can you possibly sing the praises of the area when you have not compared it to anywhere else?

Parochialism will leave us floundering - you're correct with that - but without acknowledging what an absolute mess it is up here you are actually part of the problem.

The fact the press release calls us 'the unofficial capital of culture' and likens the sklyine to that of Manhattan says it all.

With respect, I disagree with almost everything you have written.

As you seem to have never lived or worked away how can you possibly sing the praises of the area when you have not compared it to anywhere else?

Parochialism will leave us floundering - you're correct with that - but without acknowledging what an absolute mess it is up here you are actually part of the problem.

The fact the press release calls us 'the unofficial capital of culture' and likens the sklyine to that of Manhattan says it all.

I am sorry you know nothing of the secondments I have been involved in, the global firms I have been involved in, the national committees I sit on. For someone from the North you are very patronising - I am not going to argue with you because you know jack shit about me and my background

I am sorry you know nothing of the secondments I have been involved in, the global firms I have been involved in, the national committees I sit on. For someone from the North you are very patronising - I am not going to argue with you because you know jack about me and my background

So why don't you explain all of that then.

Well you state that you have worked in Newcastle most of your life...then say that's not the case. Explain.

Why don't you work in broadcast anymore of it was at such a high level?

Mate, we aren't entitled to have stuff up here because we have a chip on our shoulder.

It's not as simple as that mate.

See my earlier comments about population size - diversity, tolerance, multicultures etc.

Of course its not simple but how does anywhere increase job prospects other than giving opportunity of work and improving the area in terms of living standards. Your point seems to be that it isn't possible.

Last edited:
Why don't you work in broadcast anymore of it was at such a high level?

Of course its not simple but how does anywhere increase job prospects other than giving opportunity of work and improving the area in terms of living standards. Your point seems to be that it isn't possible.

Oddly it was when my position was made redundant so the business could move to a part of the country where they felt they could do it better.

I
I don't want to - but you aren't really accepting what I say.

Broadcasters in the NE are at the start of their careers generally - and that is fact.

They move to the bigger cities when they're more experienced.

You will not encourage people to move here for work in the media.

I assume you support Sunderland - look at the problems we have attracting footballers, you think we'll attract decent broadcasters/producers etc?
I live in London - I'm constantly discussing house prices with young people who cannot afford it- many are moving North in search of jobs / cheaper housing.

This is why this is such a good idea C4 in NE would attract young professionals- and some older types who might want a bit more space.

Sell the 2 bed cottage in Chiswick for 750 grand and move into a mansion in Gosforth.

Well you state that you have worked in Newcastle most of your life...then say that's not the case. Explain.

If you note I have had secondment, worked on multi nationals, being involved at a national level and currently sit on a national committee for my profession. I don't have to justify my support of this region which is exactly what I am doing

That's s for you, no need to be so dismissive of a company contemplating moving to the area.

They aren't contemplating it - we're bidding for it.

If you note I have had secondment, worked on multi nationals, being involved at a national level and currently sit on a national committee for my profession. I don't have to justify my support of this region which is exactly what I am doing

You didn't state any of that in your opening post :lol:

Whenever things like this happen, the people pushing for them are quick to play "its good for the north east"card. Or conversely play the poverty card to get extra cash/funding.

Yet the whole north east doesn't benefit. The whole north east isnt just an urban conurbation on tyneside. Its all about empire building and the people building these empires do so under the guise they speak for the WHOLE north east........ they dont.

If they win they'll build one half over there........................................................And the other half over there.

Newcastle and Gateshead in Channel 4 bid

Newcastle & Gateshead "bidding" to get a Channel 4 hub located in their cities

"Tyneside was the "UK's unofficial capital of culture" and a "vibrant creative community... at the heart of modern Britain"

"There are a number of cityscapes around the world that are instantly recognisable - Shanghai, Sydney Harbour, New York - and Newcastle and Gateshead is right up there."

Stretching it a bit I feel, why do they have to "bid" for it? How much do they have to pay Channel 4?

When I looked towards St.James Park from Gateshead, all I used to see was this.

Logon or register to see this image

But in our time in the Premiership, Sunderland made it more iconic.

Logon or register to see this image

It needed improving. ;)

The Angel and the Tyne bridge are probably both more recognisable than any structures in any other Northern English cities/towns.

Possibly the most recognisable structures outside of London, although that might be a slight stretch.
Whenever there's a graphic for the UK you see tower bridge, the big wheel and either the Angel of the North or The Tyne Bridge. It is some recognition abroad too, not much tho. This is totally understandable from CH4 and people are flapping over nothing.

Back