Defibrillators

That goes for the idiots who throw life rings into rivers or rhe sea; years ago phone boxes would get smashed up and must have been people who died because nobody could call 999. Smashing any safety equip like that is borderline manslaughter.
You would be shocked the amount of life rings we pull out of the river and hand back to the council over a month.

Have a look on the Good Sam app for your nearest to where you are. It’s pretty impressive how many there are
Is that the one that the ambulance service use? I've noticed that there's differences between different apps, some are registered on one and not the other. And there's some that I know for certain are available to the public that aren't registered on either.

Is that the one that the ambulance service use? I've noticed that there's differences between different apps, some are registered on one and not the other. And there's some that I know for certain are available to the public that aren't registered on either.
Anyone can register a defib I think on the good Sam app but there’s bound to be a few platforms out there which actually confuses things as opposed to being a good thing.
Privately owned defibs can cause a few issues as things like the pads go out of date and a battery can go flat so governances are difficult. If you say that a defib is there and when someone gets there and it’s flat, this then becomes a governance nightmare
I'll mention it to leadership. thanks
My prices are out of date mind but there’s lots of charitable trusts doing good stuff with defibs

Last edited:
Anyone can register a defib I think on the good Sam app but there’s bound to be a few platforms out there which actually confuses things as opposed to being a good thing.
Privately owned defibs can cause a few issues as things like the pads go out of date and a battery can go flat so governances are difficult. If you say that a defib is there and when someone gets there and it’s flat, this then becomes a governance nightmare
The ones I'm on about are on NHS property. One in particular is in an outside safe. I'll have a word with estates/medical devices and see what the crack is with it next time I'm there and see if they will get it registered .

Do they teach folk how to use them in basic first aid courses? Pretty serious piece of kit
There’s training and familiarisation events but the control staff from the ambulance service talk you through what to do.
They are pretty easy to use and they are designed to be used with little or no training.
If you only put them on someone who is not breathing or not breathing properly then you can’t hurt anyone and the machine knows what’s right or wrong

Have a look on the Good Sam app for your nearest to where you are. It’s pretty impressive how many there are

Still not one good app out there. Some missing on some apps and some on others
Haven't done first aid for a while but I was only taught CPR, think advanced first aid may teach how to use them

Defibs tell you what to do when you turn them on. They instruct you how to connect, place panels and then when to restart cpr and when to stand back
Need to get myself on a training session then.

I wouldnt bother. You will have a basic idea of how to already and its pretty much exactly right how to do it. The defib will talk you through the rest.
Panel position is important though, top right of chest and then left side of chest and remember to shave hair to get better connection. Most of them have razors in them.
For babies and really small children do one front and back

Last edited:

Back