RTG Defamatory/Abusive Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban em all. Let their cyber gods sort em out.

Tickled me anarl.
Every now and then there’s a “WTF have I bought on eBay when drunk” type thread in which goods turn up out of the blue. Similar explanation I reckon.

Last edited:

Can it, though, Roger?
With the greatest of respect to you, that just doesn’t happen. Any discussion about warnings and bans is quickly deleted by the moderators. I’ve been on here since 2007 and I’ve never noticed any successful threads on the topic.

There’s clearly discontent on here about how warnings are administered without clear explanations as to why, and indeed perceived favouritism or harsh treatment of certain posters where some may be banned or warned while others get away with the same thing or are (allegedly) even given new logins while maintaining their striker status...

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want an explanation when warned, that would surely make the system more transparent and fair. Other forums have comments from the moderators when posters get a bit overexcited, couldn’t we do it here?

That said, I realise the moderators and you do a very good job at running the forum. It’s the system that needs tweaking, that’s all.
It’s just a forum though. Not life or death.

You get a warning, suck it up. You get banned suck it up.

Every warning or ban comes with a generic reason, that should be enough for anyone to know why. People have cracking memories when it comes to dragging up posts from years ago to bash you over the head with but can’t remember what they posted half an hour ago that was likely to offend, I doubt it. Attention seeking is all it is.

I had two warnings in quick succession, within a month, iirc, that I knew nothing about until a "why have I got a warning" thread came up. It was about my swearing. It wasn't using words I'd never used before, nor indeed a word (I'm presuming it was a particular word beginning with c that got me the warnings) that others were using on a regular basis.

I didn't get another one, despite not changing my way of posting, until yet another one of these posts came up a few years later and I went a bit overboard, deliberately, with the swearing. Out of context, it was deserved, but everyone in that thread was going overboard and it was quite clearly being done for effect by everyone who posted. Easiest answer, to me, was just to lock or delete the post. No matter, warning number 3 it was.

My difficulty with the warning system is the lack of actual warning. I appreciate that this may be a failing in the system being used, but it remains a failing. If a poster is unknowingly breaching protocol, then that poster should be alerted to it as soon as possible, rather than blindly stumbling into two, three, four or more violations without realising it and facing a ban.
You are alerted if your alerts are switched on.

Last edited:
Can it, though, Roger?
With the greatest of respect to you, that just doesn’t happen. Any discussion about warnings and bans is quickly deleted by the moderators. I’ve been on here since 2007 and I’ve never noticed any successful threads on the topic.

There’s clearly discontent on here about how warnings are administered without clear explanations as to why, and indeed perceived favouritism or harsh treatment of certain posters where some may be banned or warned while others get away with the same thing or are (allegedly) even given new logins while maintaining their striker status...

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to want an explanation when warned, that would surely make the system more transparent and fair. Other forums have comments from the moderators when posters get a bit overexcited, couldn’t we do it here?

That said, I realise the moderators and you do a very good job at running the forum. It’s the system that needs tweaking, that’s all.
A discussion about the subject of warnings and bans would I'm sure be allowed but would probably be a short one as users would be urged to read the rules that they signed up to.

Threads which are usually binned are the ones where a sulking, warned or banned person comes back demanding explanations, arguments and vengeance. In my experience, these types of posters want to continue their arguments forevermore and nothing constructive will come out of that. I don't think mods have the time nor energy to cope with such behaviour.

A discussion about the subject of warnings and bans would I'm sure be allowed but would probably be a short one as users would be urged to read the rules that they signed up to.

Threads which are usually binned are the ones where a sulking, warned or banned person comes back demanding explanations, arguments and vengeance. In my experience, these types of posters want to continue their arguments forevermore and nothing constructive will come out of that. I don't think mods have the time nor energy to cope with such behaviour.

Thanks for that. I understand what you’re saying.

Every warning or ban comes with a generic reason, that should be enough for anyone to know why. People have cracking memories when it comes to dragging up posts from years ago to bash you over the head with but can’t remember what they posted half an hour ago that was likely to offend, I doubt it. Attention seeking is all it is.

They are. I wasn't.

I wouldn’t have thought an esteemed poster such as yourself Mr Eyes would have ever received a warning. Nothing but top quality content.

I've just had three posts deleted. I thought I knew which ones they would be but they're still there.

I have no idea which ones were deleted and why.

Consequently I don't give a fuck! :lol:

I get what @Roger is saying aswell about the badge of honour thing.

But those people don't have to be pandered to. It should be examples where its not blatently obvious what went wrong.

i just think the majority of people on the board mean well and sometimes get caught out a little.

Although he knows this place way better than me so I'm probably wrong :lol:

You regularly get called on here a racist, facist or whatever. I've never read anything you've said that warranted that kind of abuse. You ask questions and question the rhetoric but that's as far as it goes. That's how it is on the politics forum though with the same faces spouting the same insults /nonsense and getting away with it. I think I'll give up with that forum the trolls have won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back