Deep Purple & Blue Öyster Cult

Hmm think we might have to agree to disagree to an extent - I think you at least acknowledge that Machine Head's still the Deep Purple album. Still take In Rock over the MkIII albums and I don't really see how it has aged any more than Burn. It's worth it just for Child In Time alone and it doesn't close with the awful A-800. I get there was a change in direction with Stormbringer but I don't think it was that well executed as the songs were a bit naff much like the filler on WDWTWA and to a lesser extent Fireball (wish I could stick it on for a reappraisal now but we've been telt not to stream at work for a bit and I forgot me iPod :lol:).
Can't see me bothering with Fireball ever again, but I have been listening to Come Taste the Band again. Some good tracks on the album, spoiled by the rather insipid production

Can't see me bothering with Fireball ever again, but I have been listening to Come Taste the Band again. Some good tracks on the album, spoiled by the rather insipid production
A bit like Sabbath without Ozzy, I've nee interest in Purple without Blackmore - whey at least not until this tour with Blue Öyster Cult. :lol:

i had Fireball on the other day - I think it's better than you give it credit for to be honest but it does meander.

A bit like Sabbath without Ozzy, I've nee interest in Purple without Blackmore - whey at least not until this tour with Blue Öyster Cult. :lol:

i had Fireball on the other day - I think it's better than you give it credit for to be honest but it does meander.
Not sounding off, but you should give Bolin a try. Why Purple replaced Blackmore with him I have no idea, as it was never going to work, but his two solo albums showed he could play & could write some pretty good tunes.

But at the same time I'd add the caveat of giving Last Concert In Japan a miss. Bolin had got got too smacked up & damaged his wrist. He could only play open & closed bars, so Jon Lord had to play a lot of the guitar parts on the keys

Tour next year. Anyone gannin? Leeds for us.

Never seen Deep Purple as I'm not keen on the idea of them without Blackmore but BÖC were immense at Northumbria Uni a couple of year back so should more than make up for it.
Yes, definitely. So pleased to be able to see BOC again. Love that band. Great to see Deep Purple again too, it`s been a fair few years since I last saw them. That`s a great bill.
Might be better off going to see Glenn Hughes, at least he can still sing
You`ve missed him. He was at the Town Hall in Middlesbrough doing a Deep Purple set two weeks ago. he is, along with Paul Rodgers, one of the few from that era who can still sing well.

Last edited:
Might be better off going to see Glenn Hughes, at least he can still sing
Gillan is singing better than for a long time atm. He’s sorted a few health issues out and is singing great.
Depends on your listening stance. Was a big fan of the Mk II line up, but that soured somewhat after they reformed & the utter crap they turned out after Perfect Strangers.

Take a look at the downloads on YouTube before making your mind up. Gillan's voice is totally shot (he even has a dancing frog on stage to sing the higher notes).
What’s this dancing frog you’re on about?! 😂

Last edited:
Gillan is singing better than for a long time atm. He’s sorted a few health issues out and is singing great.

What’s this dancing frog you’re on about?! 😂
No idea what the bloke's name was, but I was watching some gig they did from Lausanne (I think). They had a bloke playing a tambourine dancing around the stage like a demented frog doing all the high notes. Same gig they had a second guitar player.

Tour next year. Anyone gannin? Leeds for us.

Never seen Deep Purple as I'm not keen on the idea of them without Blackmore but BÖC were immense at Northumbria Uni a couple of year back so should more than make up for it.

The Nude Monk and I saw Deep Purple a number of years ago, embarrassingly bad........second only to Motley Crue in the worst bands that I’ve seen live chart. Awful.

No idea what the bloke's name was, but I was watching some gig they did from Lausanne (I think). They had a bloke playing a tambourine dancing around the stage like a demented frog doing all the high notes. Same gig they had a second guitar player.
Montreaux. Nobody knew who the hell the guy was 😂😂
They`ve just recorded new stuff as well havent they? Or did I hear wrong
Yes mate
The Nude Monk and I saw Deep Purple a number of years ago, embarrassingly bad........second only to Motley Crue in the worst bands that I’ve seen live chart. Awful.
How long ago out of interest?

Last edited:
Come as a guest to one of the shows and I think you might change your mind. I’ve never heard DP being likened to Motley crue in terms of ability 😂

Back