Decline in bee populations

Last edited:
Important to point out that bees aren’t the only pollinators, and the clamour to “save the bumble bee” doesn’t take into account all the work birds, beetles and many other insects do.

Great podcast on the matter here How Can We Be Less Rude To Bees? With Prof. James Nieh Getting Curious With Jonathan Van Ness podcast from Jonathan Van Ness of Queer Eye fame.

Cracking reference. “Gob’s not onboard”
Here you go
https://www.earthrangers.com/wildwire/top-10/top-ten-coolest-pollinators/

Look after those bats folks.

I planted a respectable variety of flowers in the garden this year with the side issue of wanting to see how many bees it would attract. Not many is the disappointing answer.
Grow some oil seed rape, that will get them buzzing round you plus you get a bit of margarine at harvest time

Get bats flying the garden all night through out summer, love watching them. Not sure if they are in the loft but think it's highly probable. Apple trees seem to have encouraged them, never saw them before I had a few fruit trees.

Last edited:
Are we any nearer to solving this one?
It's in the article.
The varroa mite started declining bee colonies in Kent back in the eighties and has steadily moved up country ever since. We used to have twenty hives and my Da used to be paranoid of protecting them against it but there wasn't much you could do. Wasps can also wipe out a bee colony in no time.

Bee hives attacked by wasps

For those wanting to get their garden bee friendly look here

Honey bee plants

Last edited:

Back