decking boards ,groove side down now ?

It's personal preference. I laid them smooth side up 8 or 9 yrs ago. Avoid laying them where they get no sun/direct light during a big part of the year as they will go green and slippery. In terms of maintenance avoid putting any varnish or surface staining on them. Screw fix do a good sealant in 5 litre tins that soaks in and is invisible.

The whole purpose of the grooves is to carry water away and to keep tread.
Putting them down upside down creates a very slippy surface.
Each to their own I suppose but I'd never turn them upside down.
the water will only run away in the grooves when they are not clogged up 2 months after laying them groove side up they will be clogged annd water will just lie on top of them and eventually rot them ,thats whats happened to mine in places so the new decking will be grooves down ,

Its on the UK that turned the boards ridge-side up when fitting decking. I could never understand why people wanted uncomfortable wood that allows water to sit on it for hours/days at a time.

Yes, the ridges are actually to encourage air to move along the lengths of the boards to keep them dry and make them last longer.

I'm getting a load of decking done next month, and I'll be having them groves down for certain.

100% this !

the water will only run away in the grooves when they are not clogged up 2 months after laying them groove side up they will be clogged annd water will just lie on top of them and eventually rot them ,thats whats happened to mine in places so the new decking will be grooves down ,
Like I said, it's each to their own but keeping the deck regularly swept and regularly topped up with preservative coating keeps a great decking and without any issues.
When water fills the grooves and you walk on them you lace it away along the grooves, leaving a good walking grip.
Water stood on, on upturned boards stays underfoot and creates a skate rink like surface for a second, which is enough to flip a person over in quick time.
It can be unforgiving if you don't have the right shoes on.

The whole purpose of the grooves is to carry water away and to keep tread.
Putting them down upside down creates a very slippy surface.
Each to their own I suppose but I'd never turn them upside down.
You're using them upside down.

I disagree but each to their own like I say.
When I see the same decking looking good after 20 years with simple care taken on them, I see no reason to alter that.

I don't want to be telling anyone what to do, it's their choice. I can only go on experience of people who've had it done and my own experiences of doing decking for family and friends.

Exactly this. I'm going to post it here for those with their fingers in their ears who didn't click, but want to claim they are right:

Wood is a naturally fibrous material that isn’t slippy underfoot, even when wet. In fact, the fibres in wood lift when exposed to water and provide more grip not less. Mildew or algae on the other hand is a slippery substance that forms on surfaces including wood in damp and dark conditions. It’s this algae that you slip on, not the wood. Reeded or ribbed decking creates more surface area for algae to start growing on, the grooves in effect provide a protected and shaded area for algae to develop in unhindered. Smooth surfaced decking meanwhile has no such grooves or ruts for algae and mildew to form in, making it much less likely to become slippery. Additionally the increased surface area of ribbed decking boards take up to twice as long to dry as smooth, surfaced deck boards.

Reeded or ribbed deckboards are presented and sold as being anti slip or pro grip by design. This is not true. In fact, because of the grooves, they present less contact area for your foot to grip onto. It can also be painful to walk barefoot on a ribbed, reeded or castellated deck. Smooth decking on the other hand presents the maximum contact area for your feet and is far more comfortable to walk on.

Reeded, deep castellated or ribbed decking attracts, traps and holds dirt in the grooves promoting damage from damp and algae growth. Ribbed decking is difficult to clean properly without resorting to chemical treatment and a jetwash, whereby you are forcing yet more water deep into the grooves to remove stubborn dirt from the internal corners of the grooves or reeds. Once again with smooth surfaced decking boards there are no such problems, dirt and blemishes are easy to sweep clean in any direction from the smooth surface.

In summation, apart from showing off the beauty of the wood in your deck, smooth deck boards are safer to use with less surface area for slippery substances to grow on and more surface area to grip to. In addition, smooth decking is easier to maintain, repair and will last far longer than ribbed decking

I moved into a house which had decking all ready installed...every other plank has grooves on the top...it is those planks that are starting to rot

Back