Decision made, with a heavy heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree... I have a facebook page and try and get my clients to follow me on there. I then add the odd preview shot before they get their images and they'll tell their friends and family to have a look, some will then follow me and they get notifications when ever I post something new.

It's a very good way of promoting your work to people who might not see it other wise and also helps them remember you when it's there turn to need a photographer.

In fact I'd argue that all self respecting photographers SHOULD have a facebook page, and those who are just shitty togs with no real idea should be banned / stabbed to death.

horses for courses marra, I'm sure loads of highly successful photographers are not on facey like.

horses for courses marra, I'm sure loads of highly successful photographers are not on facey like.

I'm sure highly successful photographers don't need to be... but I'm sure they are self publicing whores in other ways, or at least were until they got the the top of their game.

There's a big difference between successful local area photographers who should use any tool possible to publicise themselves to someone shooting on a regular basis for Vogue or GQ

I'm sure highly successful photographers don't need to be... but I'm sure they are self publicing whores in other ways, or at least were until they got the the top of their game.

There's a big difference between successful local area photographers who should use any tool possible to publicise themselves to someone shooting on a regular basis for Vogue or GQ

You have misunderstood my use of the word whore; I don't mean advertising ;) I'm bias anyway as I consider Facebook to be for bairns, I cringe like crazy when I see companies asking to be liked on facebook - ultra narcissistic bellendary and they think they're being clever IMO (AKA whoring them selves).

If it works for you then keep doing it marra, as I said; horses for courses.

You have misunderstood my use of the word whore; I don't mean advertising ;) I'm bias anyway as I consider Facebook to be for bairns, I cringe like crazy when I see companies asking to be liked on facebook - ultra narcissistic bellendary and they think they're being clever IMO (AKA whoring them selves).

If it works for you then keep doing it marra, as I said; horses for courses.

Just depends really IMO... if it gets a photographer an extra booking every now and then it's worth it.

I think the likes of Carlsberg for instance is a bit daft, but for digital based companies it can be an invaluable resource.

Also with regards facebook being for kids, I have about 50 followers at the moment which admittedly isn't a lot, but all are adults and about 50% I have no idea who they are, so can only presume they are friends of clients.

If just one of them books me then as a business it's worked as a productive marketing tool.

That's the issue though really - self publicising. It's f***ing cringeworthy but at the same time if you aint shouting from the roof tops about how good you are then why would anyone else?

Just depends really IMO... if it gets a photographer an extra booking every now and then it's worth it.

I think the likes of Carlsberg for instance is a bit daft, but for digital based companies it can be an invaluable resource.

Also with regards facebook being for kids, I have about 50 followers at the moment which admittedly isn't a lot, but all are adults and about 50% I have no idea who they are, so can only presume they are friends of clients.

If just one of them books me then as a business it's worked as a productive marketing tool.

That's the issue though really - self publicising. It's f***ing cringeworthy but at the same time if you aint shouting from the roof tops about how good you are then why would anyone else?

I should get you in to do my shouting. I just cannot be arsed, and rarely been arsed tbh

gan on then, hoy the link up

gan on then, hoy the link up

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Andy-Hudson-Photography/175562035858487

:)

I should get you in to do my shouting. I just cannot be arsed, and rarely been arsed tbh

I don't have much choice tbh as the missus is a Marketing manager and has worked for lots of small businesses through the agency she worked for recently... she keeps me on track with how to promote myself and all that jazz.

It's easier to do the shouting than be shouted at for not :lol:

I should point out I work for a marketing company and see people apply a unproportional amount of revenue and effort into social media all the time.. fact is that getting 4% of your business from social media is a huge success. Yet people seem to think it's like some kind of pot of gold.

Remember they vast majority of people on facebook will NEVER get married or have kids. (i joke)

We don't deal with any photographers though, and I can see why as an individual facebook would work.

i've liked it :cool:

cheers man :)

I should point out I work for a marketing company and see people apply a unproportional amount of revenue and effort into social media all the time.. fact is that getting 4% of your business from social media is a huge success. Yet people seem to think it's like some kind of pot of gold.

Remember they vast majority of people on facebook will NEVER get married or have kids. (i joke)

We don't deal with any photographers though, and I can see why as an individual facebook would work.

Oh aye I don't think it's ever going to get me loads of bookings... that's going to come from referrals, SEO + a better site than I currently have, and not dropping wedding rings in bushes :lol:

I'm leaning more towards Facebook than Twitter at the moment for my social media though as it's a little more personal and helps keep in contact with clients, rather then them forgetting about me or being hit with a mail shot every now and then which is very impersonal.

If I can get one booking a year through social media I'd be happy.

i've liked it :cool:

bellend.

cheers man :)

Oh aye I don't think it's ever going to get me loads of bookings... that's going to come from referrals, SEO + a better site than I currently have, and not dropping wedding rings in bushes :lol:

I'm leaning more towards Facebook than Twitter at the moment for my social media though as it's a little more personal and helps keep in contact with clients, rather then them forgetting about me or being hit with a mail shot every now and then which is very impersonal.

If I can get one booking a year through social media I'd be happy.

aye, money and time on the things that work..

:lol: how much is the 7d going for anyway?

I offered it to Roger for £750 but it didn't tempt him enough to upgrade. That only saves you £70 on the procamerashop.com price currently; might be willing to do if for £700 and a hand job. Price has dropped significantly since i bought it like..

I offered it to Roger for £750 but it didn't tempt him enough to upgrade. That only saves you £70 on the procamerashop.com price currently; might be willing to do if for £700 and a hand job. Price has dropped significantly since i bought it like..

Hand job off......?

I've just been shocked to find WEX selling the 430EX II cheaper than PCS.

Would have been interested if I had the cash, but owe Jessops £1,400 for the 2 new lenses and a web designer £400 for a new site he's building and so for that reason I'm out.

Unless you're willing to ditch the £700 price and just go with a hand job and a finger up the bum?

I was following ayesanes high key guide yesterday. Good stuff. Reluctantly agreed to take some shots on the beach of my mates kids. Parents; why won't kids just bloody stay still or smile and look remotely normal man! Got some canny results nonetheless.

Ross, piss off, the speedlight is mine!

I've got a Facebook page to help with selling prints for my GNR charity this year. What a guy eh. Loads of people like stuff all the time, barely any sales at all from it though. However plenty of sales from people at work etc... Guess FB is a useful reference tool in that respect. Flickr is better image quality but people are familiar with FB. Helps being a loveable charming cad I suppose...

Steeeeed's photography marketing summary;
Kids are shit but parents seems to like them = money
Facebookers lie = very little money
I'm nice = some money

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back