Decent film soundtracks

there is a big difference between what they used to call an Original Soundtrack (OST), a film score, and then what started appearing from around the late 70s onwards: the soundtrack compilation album (like Saturday Night Fever), and then a weird mix (Tarantino style) of a compilation album with either dialogue or a couple of original pieces of music added to the mix.

As a stand alone OST:
Once Upon A Time in The West by Ennio Morricone

As a soundtrack/comp album: Looking for Mr Goodbar

Film music composers worth checking out: James Horner, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith.

Based on score alone:
Batman Returns
Dances With Wolves
Edward Scissorhands
The Quick And The Dead
Starship Troopers
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Rango

It's also hard to go wrong with the majority of John Williams well known stuff (Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, ET, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park. His Jaws 2 score is brilliant too).

Based on score alone:
Batman Returns
Dances With Wolves
Edward Scissorhands
The Quick And The Dead
Starship Troopers
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Rango

It's also hard to go wrong with the majority of John Williams well known stuff (Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, ET, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park. His Jaws 2 score is brilliant too).

Dances With Wolves by John Barry is a classic... I do like some of the scores written by John Williams (Jaws, Superman, CE3k) but after a while they all begin to sound similar. I think Williams peaked during the 70s/early 80s and after Empire of the Sun he became a copyist of his own work IMO

Ennio Morricone remains for me the master of original scores... especially from 1960s all way through to the 1980s (The Untouchables, The Mission, Once Upon a time in America, My Name is Nobody and so obviously all his spag western scores back then)

there is a big difference between what they used to call an Original Soundtrack (OST), a film score, and then what started appearing from around the late 70s onwards: the soundtrack compilation album (like Saturday Night Fever), and then a weird mix (Tarantino style) of a compilation album with either dialogue or a couple of original pieces of music added to the mix.

As a stand alone OST:
Once Upon A Time in The West by Ennio Morricone

As a soundtrack/comp album: Looking for Mr Goodbar

Film music composers worth checking out: James Horner, John Barry, Jerry Goldsmith.
Soundtracks v Songtracks marra.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Blade Runner
Les Revenants (TV soundtrack but class all the same)
Gattaca
Blade runner and Les Revenants are the two most listened too albums on my iTunes. Both are spoilt by a godawful song though.

angel heart(allegedly courtney pine watched the film and played along also some class old blues on it) and betty blue are 2 favourites
These aren’t bad either.

Last edited:

Back