December Voting Thread- 12 Days of Christmas

Picture of the month for December

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I voted for Peachbum and JanieP, Purely because they were in the theme.
notSpavins was the best for me but I couldnt get it into the theme - sorry. Just wish I got mine in on time but I forgot. Evil Drink!!!!!!

Voted for Spav cos while not a blatant representation of the theme its the best photo for me (quality is what it's about IMO, long as the theme fits in one way or the other.) and Shed7 cos it made me laugh.

Voted for Robin P because (and I mean this in a good way) it looks like a Hollywood set, and as if any minute the camera's going to zoom out and Bing Crosby's going to walk out of the cabin and sing White Christmas. I voted for Hugh Jorgan because (and this was a tough call) it was my favourite of the snow shots, I think because of that giant egg-like sun. And I voted for Peachbum because she was on theme and because the geese are all nicely arranged - goodness knows how many shots you'd have to take to land that one.

But if MacMackem had got his in on time, it would have been shot of the month for me. On theme and telling a story. I hope he won't mind me saying, but it's not the most technically whizz-bang of a pic (and it absolutely doesn't need to be), but for that very reason it's a good reminder that if you can capture people in an interesting way in a well-composed shot, for me anyway that's going to kick the ass of any shot that's been Photoshopped to death.

I voted for the first three and Cartmans.
I generally never vote for staged foties which explains why I left out some. Cartmans is probably messed about with a bit but I dont have the knowledge to know that, plus I like it.
The two landcapers are great.
Is the first one supposed to be a bird flying away from the girls hands btw? If so its the best imho and can the organisers cancel my other votes?

Voted for Not Spavin, Janiep and Cartman, all 3 are really nice pictures.

Andym for me like.

Arguably not exactly on theme, but it's Christmassy enough for me and it's a stunning image.

Voted for Not Spavin, Janiep and Cartman, all 3 are really nice pictures.

Obviously I've got some self-interest in pointing this out, but your votes don't seem to have registered :)

I voted for the first three and Cartmans.
I generally never vote for staged foties which explains why I left out some. Cartmans is probably messed about with a bit but I dont have the knowledge to know that, plus I like it.
The two landcapers are great.
Is the first one supposed to be a bird flying away from the girls hands btw? If so its the best imho and can the organisers cancel my other votes?

Cheers mate, my photo is pretty much as it was out of the camera, I have altered contrast and brightness to bring the colours out a bit more and cropped it so nothing special at all really.

I wasn't even thinking of the competition when I took the photo as I haven't entered for ages, I was just bored one day last week and took the shot.

I also didn't realsie how strict the theme was as mine certainly does not meet thsi if it has to actually be one of the days of Christmas, I just thought it was meant to be more general about Christmas.

Anyway, my vote went to Peachbum as it was the best photo of the month in my opinion.

But if MacMackem had got his in on time, it would have been shot of the month for me. On theme and telling a story. I hope he won't mind me saying, but it's not the most technically whizz-bang of a pic (and it absolutely doesn't need to be), but for that very reason it's a good reminder that if you can capture people in an interesting way in a well-composed shot, for me anyway that's going to kick the ass of any shot that's been Photoshopped to death.

Thanks janiep, It was something I had in mind since Christmas Day, Laziness on my part more than anything for not getting it in. It is just a hurried picture that I took when I remembered. Straight from the camera no PP at all with the on camera flash. Like you say not technically perfect but the expressions on everyones face made it for me.

Cartman for me. Really like the composition & execution of the shot, although the rest of the house (as reflected in the bauble) doesn't look very Festive!

Also liked Andy M's shot. Drove past there in the car a few weeks ago and thought about pretty much that exact shot, but never got off me arse to get it.

i always limit myself to one vote, and i don't know why i do this cos there were a few i would have voted for this time round! i think i will start voting for more than one with the new monthly votes.

anyway, my one vote went to robinp, it didn't meet the theme if you take it literally but as a picture it makes me want to spend my christmas in that exact spot and i absolutely love it!

Spav for best photo (and consistency wise best snapper of year for me) and Peachy for theme

Cook as I liked the imagery and the "star"

Cartman as it summed up Christmas

Janiep and Peachbum for the theme.

Hasn't the year gone quickly, seems no time at all since "Food for Thought".
Thanks too for the votes this month. :) *roll on midnight friday*

My final votes for the year, and as always meant well.

Oh, and I'm taking the Twelve days of Christmas Theme to be 26th December to 6th January (12th night) and/or the song.

Andrew Coates77 -

Hue Jorgan I like this photo but two things to improve the shot perhaps, step forward and get rid of the dirty snow in the foreground, or, much better, walk to the top of the picture and photograph with the sun behind you. The sky will improve 100%. December skies (blue) are fabulous because of the angle of the sun. I think the sun spoils your picture, but others like it, so maybe a case of each to their own.

Clockstand Pie Chuka -

Robinp -

Not Spavin - If this was just competition to find photo of the month, this would win for me by a country mile, love it (I would actually do a vertical crop to the right of the rh tree and to the left of the rubbish bin, I think the bin detracts from the picture rather than adds anything). But as it appears to be somewhat "altered" and doesn't meet the theme (Christmas shopping is before Christmas), I won't vote for it (but I still love it).

Cook - I like the idea but it seems a bit empty, could you have not zoomed in a little more, but meets the theme for me. Taking pictures in twilight sometimes works better than pitch dark.

Janiep - I guess this picture was harder to take than it looks! I was thinking of doing 5 Gold rings but not a high key picture, yours was same idea but a totally different take. I like the colours and background. Vote (theme and photo).

Andy M - I can't really fault this photo and it meets the theme. Vote (I would have liked to see someone sitting on the bench, maybe a couple cuddling, or a child with a parent, enjoying the lights, to give the picture a story/warmth, but that is just a personal comment).

Mine - glad I found enough geese to meet the theme. The swans I was after would not swim together, they were split over the lake 3 and 4.

An aside - I also thought it was "Four Colley Birds" in the song as opposed to "calling", I googled the lyrics and it seems that "calling birds" is now the way to sing the song, colley birds having got lost in the mists of time. But colley birds are blackbirds named after the black colleries/coalminers and makes more sense than "calling birds" (all the other birds in the song are named eg turtle doves, swans etc.)

Cartman I like this and it meets the theme. I personally would have "planned/arranged" the reflection to show something other than and emptyish room and someone in a yellow t.shirt? Perhaps have someone hold up a star, or a present or something anyway for the reflection. Vote.

Thank Heaven For Shed 7 :p for the theme and the laugh!

Happy New Year all.

peachbum said:
Not Spavin - If this was just competition to find photo of the month, this would win for me by a country mile, love it (I would actually do a vertical crop to the right of the rh tree and to the left of the rubbish bin, I think the bin detracts from the picture rather than adds anything). But as it appears to be somewhat "altered" and doesn't meet the theme (Christmas shopping is before Christmas), I won't vote for it (but I still love it)

Thanks for the kind comments. It wasn't altered btw, other than (iirc) a slight crop. Otherwise straight out of a film camera - a Nikon EM with a 50 f1.8, wide open at around 1/30 I think.

Didn't match the theme like, looking forward to given this month's theme a proper go.

Thanks for the kind comments. It wasn't altered btw, other than (iirc) a slight crop. Otherwise straight out of a film camera - a Nikon EM with a 50 f1.8, wide open at around 1/30 I think.

Didn't match the theme like, looking forward to given this month's theme a proper go.
I like that you can remember your settings. I can see that those settings would give people the blur/movement, but how did you get that snow effect then? Was it just very windy or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back