December Comp - 12 days of Christmas - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have entered, and before the deadline this month... It's kind of Christmassy!

Mine's up. Today I actually saw 7 swans on the iced-up reservoir near our house. They weren't a swimming but looked pretty good but I didn't have my camera with me.

Hello everyone.

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has taken part with the photography competition this year - I have enjoyed watching your entries and discussions about each topic so very much.

Its been entertaining and very interesting from a technical point of view. I feel like I have learned a lot from your posts - and also from further reading which the posts have inspired.

I've spent the "photographic year" compiling 10 years worth of digital images and posting them on Flickr in various guises so the family can see them. They are mainly snaps - but I feel like my technical "know how" has genuinely improved across the year from reading the photography section of the board.

...Which brings me round to the main reason for the post (and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere) - clearly THIS month's and indeed year's competition is coming to a close. Has there been any discussion or decision made about whether it will continue into 2011?

For what it's worth (irrespective of a "prize" as such) I hope you guys carry on with this - and would love to start taking part next year.

Thanks again for the great shots of 2010 - and "all the best" to you all for the New Year.

Hi 2310 Returns, glad you've enjoyed it, I know I have and learnt lots from it. I hope this competition continues in some form next year and maybe you'll put some of your pics up?

Hi 2310 Returns, glad you've enjoyed it, I know I have and learnt lots from it. I hope this competition continues in some form next year and maybe you'll put some of your pics up?

Off out now to take the photo I've planned. The light is rubbish, and I don't even know if my subjects will be out. :lol: Let's hope the sun comes out because my back-up idea has been done. :)

There will be a 2011 competition - but the rules will change and the format will be tweaked.

I don't have any news yet on an annual prize for next year but even if we don't have one I think the competition should carry on, though I think it needs a bit of something to bring it to life a bit.

There will be a 2011 competition - but the rules will change and the format will be tweaked.

I don't have any news yet on an annual prize for next year but even if we don't have one I think the competition should carry on, though I think it needs a bit of something to bring it to life a bit.

Agree with that - seems to be waning a bit. Definitely think we should keep it up though, prize or no prize.

i concur, continue into next year

as far as a prize goes, I ain't bothered if there was not one, having said that a certificate or small plastic trophy would do nicley :lol::lol: so the winner could put it on the mantle piece for the whole world to admire

AB22 Easy Tiger not sure what you mean by 'bringing it to life' do you mean say a exhibition in a gallery somewhere? and auction the pics off for Chariteeee, or do you mean summit to 'sex up' the whole thing and make it more accesible?

whatever the outcome thank you for the whole thing, Merry xmas and a happy new swaddling to one and all

Hello everyone.

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has taken part with the photography competition this year - I have enjoyed watching your entries and discussions about each topic so very much.

Its been entertaining and very interesting from a technical point of view. I feel like I have learned a lot from your posts - and also from further reading which the posts have inspired.

I've spent the "photographic year" compiling 10 years worth of digital images and posting them on Flickr in various guises so the family can see them. They are mainly snaps - but I feel like my technical "know how" has genuinely improved across the year from reading the photography section of the board.

...Which brings me round to the main reason for the post (and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere) - clearly THIS month's and indeed year's competition is coming to a close. Has there been any discussion or decision made about whether it will continue into 2011?

For what it's worth (irrespective of a "prize" as such) I hope you guys carry on with this - and would love to start taking part next year.

Thanks again for the great shots of 2010 - and "all the best" to you all for the New Year.

Welcome!

I hope you start taking part next year and join in with the discussions. Everyone brings something to the table, regardless of their experience or interest.

Have you joined the SMB Flickr group?

i concur, continue into next year

as far as a prize goes, I ain't bothered if there was not one, having said that a certificate or small plastic trophy would do nicley :lol::lol: so the winner could put it on the mantle piece for the whole world to admire

AB22 Easy Tiger not sure what you mean by 'bringing it to life' do you mean say a exhibition in a gallery somewhere? and auction the pics off for Chariteeee, or do you mean summit to 'sex up' the whole thing and make it more accesible?

whatever the outcome thank you for the whole thing, Merry xmas and a happy new swaddling to one and all

Just that entries seem to have dropped off, although interest in the discussion and voting threads still seems to be there.

What I'm proposing is to base the themes around photographic techniques that'll challenge all levels of experience whilst keeping it interesting. I'd love to be able to put the winners in an exhibition, but I think that might have to be held at someone's house!

Off out now to take the photo I've planned. The light is rubbish, and I don't even know if my subjects will be out. :lol: Let's hope the sun comes out because my back-up idea has been done. :)

Back home, warmed up, photograph entered, best of the rest on my profile page "winter birds", the sun didn't shine, the seven swans-a-swimming were a-swimming at opposite ends of the lake, but I made a new friend and found out something new.

Apologies in advance for this month's entry! To be honest, with Christmas & visiting home and whatnot, I kind of forgot about the competition. Hope everyone had at least half as good a festive period as I've had. Looking forward to 2011's competition. And yes, I know it's not a pear tree!

This would have been mine but too late was the cry!!!!

Logon or register to see this image

Four Calling Birds.

Regarding the competitions, What if there was a "small" entrance fee, this could be used to get the "best of the year" printed and framed, or put on a canvas. Maybe the board mods could organise a "free ad" for any company who would provide one, just a suggestion.

This would have been mine but too late was the cry!!!!

Logon or register to see this image

Four Calling Birds.

Regarding the competitions, What if there was a "small" entrance fee, this could be used to get the "best of the year" printed and framed, or put on a canvas. Maybe the board mods could organise a "free ad" for any company who would provide one, just a suggestion.

Like that suggestion, plus it would give the entrants more impetus to enter every month.

Like that suggestion, plus it would give the entrants more impetus to enter every month.

Nah, as soon as you start asking people for money, the number of contributors will drop off considerably.

Nah, as soon as you start asking people for money, the number of contributors will drop off considerably.

Mebbees. I have been drinking steadily since December 17th so my judgement may be somewhat impaired.

Could we not get a sponsor? say the second post on every thread in the competition section is their ad with a link? would need a mod to sort it tho. All they need to do is provide a 18"x12" canvas at end of year or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back