Death of the High Street

DoctorMick

Striker
There has been talk for years about how the high street is dead and the increasing number of vacant units seems to have supported that view. It seems tho, at least locally to me, covid has done something to buck the trend! We’re looking for a retail property to convert into a pub and all the suitable available properties have been taken on the last 2 months including some which had previously been vacant for years! It’d be interesting to know if this is somehow a local anomaly or if the trend is the same nationally. I can only assume it’s a combination of cheap loans allowing businesses to expand and some people losing their jobs so moving into running their own business.

I don’t know what’s happening with all of them as the agent won’t usually divulge but I know some are converting to cafe/takeaway type businesses and some were already food based.

I’m not sure if it’s the way to go, yes people have gone mad for takeaways etc and that was happening before the pandemic but what is there to attract customers to these establishments at the rate they will pop up?

Maybes the high street will just become a social destination over time, it’s getting that way now.

I only go into city centres now for that reason, well other than weekend breaks when you have a good look around.

It may become an overkill where many just don’t make enough to trade.

There has been talk for years about how the high street is dead and the increasing number of vacant units seems to have supported that view. It seems tho, at least locally to me, covid has done something to buck the trend! We’re looking for a retail property to convert into a pub and all the suitable available properties have been taken on the last 2 months including some which had previously been vacant for years! It’d be interesting to know if this is somehow a local anomaly or if the trend is the same nationally. I can only assume it’s a combination of cheap loans allowing businesses to expand and some people losing their jobs so moving into running their own business.
Have the Landlords finally realised that they can't charge such exorbitant rents.

Have the Landlords finally realised that they can't charge such exorbitant rents.
Nope, rents are still around the same level as they were pre-pandemic around here. It’s very annoying, I thought we’d have the pick of the properties and we can’t get anything!

Pretty much charity shops and betting shops now. A wetherspoons thrown into the mix and there's your high street.
That was my experience just before leaving England. I wasn't complaining too much as I love a good rummage through a charity shop for books and the like.

That said, it's desperately sad to think of the businesses and people we're losing to this stuff. These big companies like Amazon etc will offer so much, but there's something very nice about knowing the folk you deal with.

I went to Newcastle yesterday to buy a new coffee machine. I was shocked by how sparse Fenwicks was although i only go to check deals then ask John Lewis to price match.
Went to John Lewis and was told they could arrange Click & Collect for Monday afternoon or a delivery for Monday sometime.
Came home and ordered on-line. Arrival before 10am today. I like to shop in person however with service like this they are forcing folk away from the High Street.

Well people have caused this , preferring not to get off their fat arses.
Well, aye, what you say isn’t incorrect, but how many examples can you think of where people make it harder for themselves to achieve something? If online is offering a more convenient service (likely cheaper too) there needs to be a different incentive to shop in person.

I went to Newcastle yesterday to buy a new coffee machine. I was shocked by how sparse Fenwicks was although i only go to check deals then ask John Lewis to price match.
Went to John Lewis and was told they could arrange Click & Collect for Monday afternoon or a delivery for Monday sometime.
Came home and ordered on-line. Arrival before 10am today. I like to shop in person however with service like this they are forcing folk away from the High Street.
i think that's quite reasonable from them

Back