Death Metal

Black metal some bands went folky and up their own chufters. All the ambient stuff was rank except Alcest they were good at it.

Immortal, Emperor and Enslaved plus the mighty Bathory are the best.

Burzum was a load of guff in my opinion as was his politics. Mayhem were bang average I thought especially compared to Emperor.

Black metal some bands went folky and up their own chufters. All the ambient stuff was rank except Alcest they were good at it.

Burzum was a load of guff in my opinion as was his politics. Mayhem were bang average I thought especially compared to Emperor.
Burzum is the best of them all, Varg is a total numpty but musically he is genius imo and some of his songs transcend genres like Det Som Engang Var for example - it's a masterpiece. Ambient sections were always present from the beginning for most of the great bands, the many imitators do sound crap like.

Black metal and Death metal are not the same at all. Different guitar styles (death metal is often tuned down to D standard and has very technical riff patterns, black metal features full chords and tremolo picked riffs and many repeating patterns), different drumming styles, black metal features a lot of ambient sections etc. Only a few people burned churches down ;)
Best black metal bands imo if anyone hasn't heard them....

Immortal
Burzum
Emperor
Dimmu Borgir (early stuff)
Summoning
Satyricon (early)
Darkthrone (first album is death metal)
Mayhem (pre first album demos featuring the vocalist Dead are the best)
Bathory

They are all old bands, some good newer ones

Grift
Hermodr
Myrkur (lots of folky elements)

Theres a YouTube channel 'Atmospheric Black Metal', you get some great stuff on there.

Also worth mentioning as a really easy access point from an entertainment perspective is the 2018 film Lords of Chaos, which is based around the Norwegian church burnings and the life and times of Mayhem, predominantly the founder Euronymous and Burzum. It's Hollywood-ified (yes, I just made that word up), but touches on most of the major points and IMO was actually quite a good movie.

I saw Mayhem play last year, and I have to say it was one of the most ambient and bizarre experiences of my life. Definitely unique in terms of live concert experiences and I have seen a lot of metal bands.
Describes him pretty well. I went on a deep dive into Burzum only a few months ago,

I completely disagree. Music separated from politics (for which he is a buffoon), Burzum is absolutely sensational.
Burzum is the best of them all, Varg is a total numpty but musically he is genius imo and some of his songs transcend genres like Det Som Engang Var for example - it's a masterpiece. Ambient sections were always present from the beginning for most of the great bands, the many imitators do sound crap like.

Last edited:
Black metal and Death metal are not the same at all. Different guitar styles (death metal is often tuned down to D standard and has very technical riff patterns, black metal features full chords and tremolo picked riffs and many repeating patterns), different drumming styles, black metal features a lot of ambient sections etc. Only a few people burned churches down ;)

Immortal
Burzum
Emperor
Summoning
Satyricon (early)
Bathory

Grift
Hermodr

Theres a YouTube channel 'Atmospheric Black Metal', you get some great stuff on there.
My Favourite genre at minute is probaby DSBM (depressive Suicidal Black Metal) - one guy in particular called Deha is churning out a bunch of stuff under that monikar as well as his other band Slow (he has some straight death metal as well), do lime Grift as well, theres a band called Sylvaine as well you may well like if you like Mykur. Think the last couple of years the breadth of black metal and quality of it has been very good. For me current death metal is bit like thrash even though there is a bunch of new bands doing some impressive sounding music its very stagnent in taking thing forward in any new meaninful way.

See I like quite a bit of the folksy stuff Agolloch, Fen even Winterfylleth etc (to a point that movement inspired by Bathory) and probably even more the Blackgaze as well, Autumn for crippled Children, Blaze of Sorrow, Violet Cole and even shock horrow Deafheaven.

Last edited:
My Favourite genre at minute is probaby DSBM (depressive Suicidal Black Metal) - one guy in particular called Deha is churning out a bunch of stuff under that monikar as well as his other band Slow (he has some straight death metal as well), do lime Grift as well, theres a band called Sylvaine as well you may well like if you like Mykur. Think the last couple of years the breadth of black metal and quality of it has been very good. For me current death metal is bit like thrash even though there is a bunch of new bands doing some impressive sounding music its very stagnent in taking thing forward in any new meaninful way.

See I like quite a bit of the folksy stuff Agolloch, Fen even Winterfylleth etc (to a point that movement inspired by Bathory) and probably even more the Blackgaze as well, Autumn for crippled Children, Blaze of Sorrow, Violet Cole and even shock horrow Deafheaven.
Haven't heard of any of them mate I'll check them out :)

Just listened to Deha album Cruel Words - thought it was mint.

I saw Napalm Death when they played at Independent. Firebird also played upstairs at The Borough.

Saw Napalm Death back in February in Glasgow supported by Eyehategod, Misery Index, Rotten Sound and Bat.

Thought every band was absolutely immense apart from Eyehategod who just weren’t my cup of tea at all.

Saw Napalm Death back in February in Glasgow supported by Eyehategod, Misery Index, Rotten Sound and Bat.

Thought every band was absolutely immense apart from Eyehategod who just weren’t my cup of tea at all.

Seen EHG supporting Obituary about 25 year ago. They were out the game.

Immortal
Burzum
Emperor
Summoning
Satyricon (early)
Bathory

Grift
Hermodr

So where do Morbid Angel, Deicide and Sepultura (pre Chaos AD) sit on this continuum given they use both stylistic approaches? I can only assume the delineation is recent as the terms were used interchangeably back in 'my day' e.g. I remember Glen Benton saying "are you ready for some Black Metal?" (thinking he was Kronos) at the Astoria in the early 90's, shortly before taking a hissy fit about the sound and walking off.

when Napalm Death were at Independent, 2 arrogant lasses with loads of attitude went on the stage at the break and started dancing and then pouring milk over themselves. everyone was looking and wondering why they were doing it then started laughing and heckling them, they stormed off. didnt go down well.

Just remembered Dry Kill Logic played there as well and the singer stopped singing at one point and shouted "it smells like I'm playing in a f***ing toilet!". he wasn't wrong! :lol:

Last edited:
So where do Morbid Angel, Deicide and Sepultura (pre Chaos AD) sit on this continuum given they use both stylistic approaches? I can only assume the delineation is recent as the terms were used interchangeably back in 'my day' e.g. I remember Glen Benton saying "are you ready for some Black Metal?" (thinking he was Kronos) at the Astoria in the early 90's, shortly before taking a hissy fit about the sound and walking off.

Morbid Angel and Deicide are both DM. Sepultura were always thrash for my money.

Genre labelling can be a pain really. Early Sepultura I call thrash but then again it's not like someone like Municipal Waste for example who are also thrash.

Genre labelling can be a pain really. Early Sepultura I call thrash but then again it's not like someone like Municipal Waste for example who are also thrash.

Not helped by the vast majority of bands express displeasure at the genre in which they are labelled.
Just listened to Deha album Cruel Words - thought it was mint.

@Marsden Mackem I'm listening to it now as well. Clearly he admires true black metal, because the production is terrible ;)

Last edited:

I would probably lump them in with SOD, Nuclear Assault and Suicidal Tendencies, who tend to get referred to as hardcore or crossover thrash.

It was all 'thrash' up to about 1990.

I'm not sure if Gojira would be classed as 'Death Metal' as their music seems to transcend genres but I think they're pretty cool anyway:

Back