Death Metal

Glad to hear you`ve checked them out. Rubicon was the first song that drew me in. The songs from that album that stand out for me are Rubicon, Lay Me Down, Shake That Demon, Great Beyond, The Fire That I Long For and Stars They Move (this last song is one of the most beautiful ballads you will ever hear.). You should also listen to this from one of their earlier albums
it`s an absolute banger as my kids would say :D . A few of the other tracks on the album and the stuff from the earlier albums have a more Doom feel more like Candlemass.

Jennie Ann Smith comes from a Jazz and Pop background and Avatarium is her first Rock project. I think her style works really well.

I love Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, The Gathering, Epica and Delain and all of that and also Theatre of Tragedy, Xandria and the like although I think the symphonic stuff is getting a bit samey now but I do like the way Lacuna Coil in particular have grown and changed styles over the years.

I'm more into heavier stuff, so the ballad and the Raven Mask song you recommended weren't really my favourites. I liked Great Beyond and The Fire I long For.

I'm more into heavier stuff, so the ballad and the Raven Mask song you recommended weren't really my favourites. I liked Great Beyond and The Fire I long For.
I think I saw that you live in Stockholm (lucky you..I was there last summer and absolutely loved it......went to Gothenberg too and visited 2112`s owned by Bjorn Gelotte of In Flames). Avatarium are from Stockholm as are Katatonia who recorded their recent live stream at the Grondahl Studio in the City. I was going to post a link to an acoustic house concert she did a couple of months ago with her husband Marcus Jidell (he`s played in Evergrey, Soen, Royal Hunt) where her voice is just magnificent but it might be too light for you.

I think I saw that you live in Stockholm (lucky you..I was there last summer and absolutely loved it......went to Gothenberg too and visited 2112`s owned by Bjorn Gelotte of In Flames). Avatarium are from Stockholm as are Katatonia who recorded their recent live stream at the Grondahl Studio in the City. I was going to post a link to an acoustic house concert she did a couple of months ago with her husband Marcus Jidell (he`s played in Evergrey, Soen, Royal Hunt) where her voice is just magnificent but it might be too light for you.

Yeah, it's a great city. With many great metal bands. I'm a big gig goer, so pre and hopefully post COVID I see a lot of bands. I have a very eclectic taste so while this thread is obviously metal centric, I like a very wide selection of other stuff too. (My last FM).

Feel free to post it, worst that can happen is I don't like it.

Yeah, it's a great city. With many great metal bands. I'm a big gig goer, so pre and hopefully post COVID I see a lot of bands. I have a very eclectic taste so while this thread is obviously metal centric, I like a very wide selection of other stuff too. (My last FM).

Tremendous top track there mate

I go to loads of gigs too and am missing them. I actually interview bands and review/photograph shows too. Of the bands mentioned in this thread I`ve interviewed quite a few including Tarja, Tuomas and Floor Jansen from Nightwish, Simone Simons from Epica, Cristina Scabbia from Lacuna Coil as well as Therion, Opeth, Katatonia and Jennie Ann from Avatarium who was lovely.

I like to listen to a wide variety of stuff too. One I was really looking forward to were The Isley Brothers but that`s now postponed until next year. I just hope they make it over as it was a 60th anniversary tour.

Here`s the Avatarium acoustic 4 song performance....what a voice:
: Avatarium #DaheimDabei

War Machine...now there`s an absolute belter of a riff :D

Last edited:

Gave you a follow, apparently our compatibility is "Super"

Last edited:
Gave you a follow, apparently our compatibility is "Super"

Haha, for me it says 'Your compatibility with daveymck is Very Low.' :lol:

Actually, I oddly then clicked on another page and it says

'Your compatibility with daveymck is Super.

You both listen to Paradise Lost, Avatarium and Metallica.'

Must be that time of the month.
War Machine...now there`s an absolute belter of a riff :D

Absolutely. It's a stretch, but if you watched wrestling in the 90s, Taz used to come out to the ring to it in ECW. The opening riff makes amazing walk out music.

Last edited:
Think in the death metal genre I have seen Bolt Thrower, Confessor, Carcass, Cancer, Entombed, Napalm Death, Death, Loudblast, Obituary, Nocturnus plenty of decent acts I never saw like Nifelheim, Sadus, Nile etc

Is it not just for silly adolescents who live with their mam and no father to provide life guidance.

I don't think so, I'm 32, live with my partner and 3 kids and I have a good job. My parents are still together and my Dad is my hero (apart from the fact he's a mag but we all have our faults).

I did enjoy the fact that someone who lives to wind people up on the internet considers simply liking a different kind of music to be silly and adolescent, so thanks for that :lol:

what makes something 'death metal' as opposed to say, 'black metal'?
(i've got sensitive ears,and most of it gives me a bad head anyway)

what makes something 'death metal' as opposed to say, 'black metal'?
(i've got sensitive ears,and most of it gives me a bad head anyway)
Same thing. Black metal was just the term Venom invented for it and was later applied to Norwegian bands who burned down churches.

Best Death Metal bands: Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Carcass

Same thing. Black metal was just the term Venom invented for it and was later applied to Norwegian bands who burned down churches.

Best Death Metal bands: Morbid Angel, Deicide, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Carcass
Black metal and Death metal are not the same at all. Different guitar styles (death metal is often tuned down to D standard and has very technical riff patterns, black metal features full chords and tremolo picked riffs and many repeating patterns), different drumming styles, black metal features a lot of ambient sections etc. Only a few people burned churches down ;)
Best black metal bands imo if anyone hasn't heard them....

Immortal
Burzum
Emperor
Dimmu Borgir (early stuff)
Summoning
Satyricon (early)
Darkthrone (first album is death metal)
Mayhem (pre first album demos featuring the vocalist Dead are the best)
Bathory

They are all old bands, some good newer ones

Grift
Hermodr
Myrkur (lots of folky elements)

Theres a YouTube channel 'Atmospheric Black Metal', you get some great stuff on there.

Back