Death Metal

Back in the day, @ErichZann and I had tickets to see Nile. We were sitting in The Borough having a pre-pint, when the barman who had a Nile tattoo came over to sadly tell us they had cancelled the show having arrived at The Cluny and decided the stage wasn't big enough for them :rolleyes:

They're amusing, but not a huge fan of grindcore. Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse are far superior.
Corpse grinder is some bloke like.

Corpse grinder is some bloke like.

Agree. He did a very interesting interview on Jamey Jasta's podcast a month or two back if you haven't heard it. Comes across very differently than you would expect. Rumours Jasta is producing a solo record for him. Jasta produced Dee Snider's 'For the Love of Metal' album which was fantastic, so I'd be interested to hear where he goes with it if true.
PS I have 3 Ghost tattooos and Kiss the go goat (Which i believe is your avatar) is an amazing throwback to 70 psychadelia and it's the best thing they've done since the early satatic stuff

I am always fascinated by metal fans who like Ghost. Judgement aside, what is it you enjoy about them?

I saw them supporting Metallica at Ullevi last year and alike 90% of the audience was so bored I left the arena and went to the bar. I disliked them so much I was actually quite angry Metallica had picked them as support. (I had the same reaction when HIM supported them at Wembley).

They dress like a Mercyful Fate but sound like I would expect to hear in the pop charts.
Never really been into Death Metal. It`s the vocals I can`t get away with. I can take the odd growl in short doses but not for a full album. However, some of those bands who grew out and away from that such as Katatonia, Opeth, Swallow The Sun and Anathema have real, genuine class.

Do you mean you prefer their stuff after they move away from harder stuff. Opeth for example openly state that they no longer see themselves as a death metal band and Mikael Åkerfeldt no longer uses growling lyrics. For me, they were a phenomenal band for a period, and then albums Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance are masterpieces. I think their modern stuff is rubbish though.

Last edited:
Agree. He did a very interesting interview on Jamey Jasta's podcast a month or two back if you haven't heard it. Comes across very differently than you would expect. Rumours Jasta is producing a solo record for him. Jasta produced Dee Snider's 'For the Love of Metal' album which was fantastic, so I'd be interested to hear where he goes with it if true.

I am always fascinated by metal fans who like Ghost. Judgement aside, what is it you enjoy about them?

I saw them supporting Metallica at Ullevi last year and alike 90% of the audience was so bored I left the arena and went to the bar. I disliked them so much I was actually quite angry Metallica had picked them as support. (I had the same reaction when HIM supported them at Wembley).

They dress like a Mercyful Fate but sound like I would expect to hear in the pop charts.
Thought you'd support them as is one of your countrymen ;), they more in the ven of Blue Oyster Cult and 70's style bands like that, thier last album was pretty good mainly cos Tobias was a bit angry at the other members who had left and brought law suits against him.

These days if listening to any death stuff its either going to be melodeth or the other resurgance in doom/death thats going on at the minute.

Thought you'd support them as is one of your countrymen ;), they more in the ven of Blue Oyster Cult and 70's style bands like that, thier last album was pretty good mainly cos Tobias was a bit angry at the other members who had left and brought law suits against him.

These days if listening to any death stuff its either going to be melodeth or the other resurgance in doom/death thats going on at the minute.

Actually, I'm from Sunderland originally albeit I am a Swedish citizen now.

The Swedish in me is embarrassed by them ;)

At The Gates, Entombed, Arch Enemy, In Flames and Opeth do a pretty decent job of representing the Swedish metal scene.

I get very frustrated by Ghost, because Spotify have such a hard on for them that they constantly pop up in my 'Discover Weekly' or in metal playlists. They, alike Avenged Sevenfold and Linkin Park are bands that are clearly very popular with enough of the metal community that they seem to slip into a subspace that really they don't belong.

I mean, I love Enya, it doesn't mean that she belongs in a death metal countdown :lol:

Do you mean you prefer their stuff after they move away from harder stuff. Opeth for example openly state that they no longer see themselves as a death metal band and Mikael Åkerfeldt no longer uses growling lyrics. For me, they were a phenomenal band for a period, and then albums Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance are masterpieces. I think their modern stuff is rubbish though.
Yes, I do. It`s the growls I don`t like. It was Opeth`s Deliverance album that first got me into them.

As for Ghost I saw them supporting Alice In Chains in Leeds along with Duff McKagan`s Loaded. They were third on the bill and not very impressive. I saw them a couple of years later at the O2 Academy and then last year at Leeds Arena and they were outstanding. I`ve always loved Blue Oyster Cult and they are the closest thing I`ve ever heard to BOC without actually being BOC.

Sadus there is another class band often overlooked. The lad DiGiorgio on the bass is lethal. He teamed up with Chuck on Control Denied and think was in Testament.

Ghost not for me its like pop music though their cover of Roky Erikkson's tune was very good

I don`t know if these might be a bit melodic or light for you but I`d highly recommend you listen to Avatarium. They are a side project by Leif Edling from Candlemass although he is taking more of a back seat now. It`s a wonderful mix of Doom, Classic Hard Rock with some Gothic melancholic elements to it. Their latest album The Fire I Long For is an absolute belter. Very varied and dynamic. Very heavy at times and also very delicate and atmospheric and in Jennie-Ann Smith, one of the most beautiful voices I`ve heard in years. I can`t recommend these highly enough.

Started listening to the haunted a bit more recently like, do they count? I know they have quite a bit to do with at the gates

Started listening to the haunted a bit more recently like, do they count? I know they have quite a bit to do with at the gates

Yes, albeit they went a bit nu metal in the mid 2000s.

In 2007, I went to one of their concerts in Newcastle in the small room of the 02 Academy, when they were supported by Municipal Waste. It was rammed for MW, but more than 50% of the audience left before The Haunted even came on. I didn't even know The Haunted and was only there for MW, so stayed for a couple of songs but they were woeful so left too.

I've since listened to them on record and quite like some of it.
Yes, I do. It`s the growls I don`t like. It was Opeth`s Deliverance album that first got me into them.

As for Ghost I saw them supporting Alice In Chains in Leeds along with Duff McKagan`s Loaded. They were third on the bill and not very impressive. I saw them a couple of years later at the O2 Academy and then last year at Leeds Arena and they were outstanding. I`ve always loved Blue Oyster Cult and they are the closest thing I`ve ever heard to BOC without actually being BOC.

Who was singing for AIC? Jerry Cantrell? Seeing them and Duff together sounds a good show.

Last edited:
Caught them at Leeds fest in 2015 and they blew me away like. I'd heard a couple of their songs before this but didn't think much of them but they were fantastic live.

Behemoth were absolutely class at Download last year, too. Another band I hadn't had much interest in but they were cracking.

Caught them at Leeds fest in 2015 and they blew me away like. I'd heard a couple of their songs before this but didn't think much of them but they were fantastic live.

Behemoth were absolutely class at Download last year, too. Another band I hadn't had much interest in but they were cracking.

I love Behemoth. Saw them supporting Slipknot a few months back having wanted to see them for years and they were brilliant. It was funny because Slipknot of course have mellowed their sound a lot over the last couple of albums so a really aggressive death metal band took a large portion of the younger elements of the crowd aback.

I love Behemoth. Saw them supporting Slipknot a few months back having wanted to see them for years and they were brilliant. It was funny because Slipknot of course have mellowed their sound a lot over the last couple of albums so a really aggressive death metal band took a large portion of the younger elements of the crowd aback.
I was at that gig like, never really been into either band but it was a good night.
Quite like going to a gig without expectations and being surprised like that.

Yes, albeit they went a bit nu metal in the mid 2000s.

In 2007, I went to one of their concerts in Newcastle in the small room of the 02 Academy, when they were supported by Municipal Waste. It was rammed for MW, but more than 50% of the audience left before The Haunted even came on. I didn't even know The Haunted and was only there for MW, so stayed for a couple of songs but they were woeful so left too.

I've since listened to them on record and quite like some of it.

Who was singing for AIC? Jerry Cantrell? Seeing them and Duff together sounds a good show.
It was Jerry and William DuVall who was exceptional. The harmonising was brilliant. It was actually The Walking Papers who were second on the bill that night and Duff Mackagan was their bassist. They were one of the best support bands I`ve seen with a great husky Bluesy singer and an immense heavy groove. I ended up buying their album from the merch stall.

I was at that gig like, never really been into either band but it was a good night.

I suspect you mean you went to the Newcastle leg of the tour? Whereas I saw them in Stockholm.

I absolutely agree on the point though. Many a time I've been at a festival and wandered into a tent to be absolutely blown away by a band.

Wasn`t too fussed with their music by the stage show Behemoth put on dwarfed most headliners. I suppose only someone like Slipknot would let a support band put on such an extravagant spectacle. A bit like KISS being one of the few band to take the Plasmatics out on the road with them.

Sadus there is another class band often overlooked. The lad DiGiorgio on the bass is lethal. He teamed up with Chuck on Control Denied and think was in Testament.

Ghost not for me its like pop music though their cover of Roky Erikkson's tune was very good
He still is in Testament, was one of the band that got Covid when they toured UK etc earlier in the year.

I don`t know if these might be a bit melodic or light for you but I`d highly recommend you listen to Avatarium. They are a side project by Leif Edling from Candlemass although he is taking more of a back seat now. It`s a wonderful mix of Doom, Classic Hard Rock with some Gothic melancholic elements to it. Their latest album The Fire I Long For is an absolute belter. Very varied and dynamic. Very heavy at times and also very delicate and atmospheric and in Jennie-Ann Smith, one of the most beautiful voices I`ve heard in years. I can`t recommend these highly enough.

Listening now as per your recommendation. Not what I was expecting but I do like it. Her voice and cadence sounds a lot like Tarja Turunen, particularly on the song Rubicon which is the top track on Spotify. I presume you like Nightwish? I was very into this genre when it was at its peak (Evanesence, Lacuna Coil etc). I was very into a band called Theatre of Tragedy for a while; they might be to your taste.

Listening now as per your recommendation. Not what I was expecting but I do like it. Her voice and cadence sounds a lot like Tarja Turunen, particularly on the song Rubicon which is the top track on Spotify. I presume you like Nightwish? I was very into this genre when it was at its peak (Evanesence, Lacuna Coil etc). I was very into a band called Theatre of Tragedy for a while; they might be to your taste.
Glad to hear you`ve checked them out. Rubicon was the first song that drew me in. The songs from that album that stand out for me are Rubicon, Lay Me Down, Shake That Demon, Great Beyond, The Fire That I Long For and Stars They Move (this last song is one of the most beautiful ballads you will ever hear.). You should also listen to this from one of their earlier albums
it`s an absolute banger as my kids would say :D . A few of the other tracks on the album and the stuff from the earlier albums have a more Doom feel more like Candlemass.

Jennie Ann Smith comes from a Jazz and Pop background and Avatarium is her first Rock project. I think her style works really well.

I love Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, The Gathering, Epica and Delain and all of that and also Theatre of Tragedy, Xandria and the like although I think the symphonic stuff is getting a bit samey now but I do like the way Lacuna Coil in particular have grown and changed styles over the years.

Glad to hear you`ve checked them out. Rubicon was the first song that drew me in. The songs from that album that stand out for me are Rubicon, Lay Me Down, Shake That Demon, Great Beyond, The Fire That I Long For and Stars They Move (this last song is one of the most beautiful ballads you will ever hear.). You should also listen to this from one of their earlier albums
it`s an absolute banger as my kids would say :D . A few of the other tracks on the album and the stuff from the earlier albums have a more Doom feel more like Candlemass.

Jennie Ann Smith comes from a Jazz and Pop background and Avatarium is her first Rock project. I think her style works really well.

I love Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, The Gathering, Epica and Delain and all of that and also Theatre of Tragedy, Xandria and the like although I think the symphonic stuff is getting a bit samey now but I do like the way Lacuna Coil in particular have grown and changed styles over the years.
In

Give Therion a blast you might like them an all
He still is in Testament, was one of the band that got Covid when they toured UK etc earlier in the year.

I was scheming going to watch them think Exodus and Death Angel were support. Glad I didnae

Last edited:

Back