Death Metal

Not really keen on death metal (like all sorts) but surely the only band that can be considered as the best death metal band is Death they were pretty much the pioneers of the genre.

Not really keen on death metal (like all sorts) but surely the only band that can be considered as the best death metal band is Death they were pretty much the pioneers of the genre.

Incredible. There's an amazingly dark history about them too

PS I have 3 Ghost tattooos and Kiss the go goat (Which i believe is your avatar) is an amazing throwback to 70 psychadelia and it's the best thing they've done since the early satatic stuff

Last edited:
Incredible. There's an amazingly dark history about them too

PS I have 3 Ghost tattooos and Kiss the go goat (Which i believe is your avatar) is an amazing throwback to 70 psychadelia and it's the best thing they've done since the early satatic stuff
Aye I enjoyed their early work more but I still enjoy what they are doing now.

Aye I enjoyed their early work more but I still enjoy what they are doing now.

When they went 80s I cringed a bit but learned to love it. I've got a cracking rare purple pressing of Meliora and it's majestic. Going back to Death, their EP is a record I go back to again and again. Totally different style but I hover between them and Sparks when I describle a group I love for originality.
For reference, this is early death metal:

Last edited:
Some of these are Thrash and not "Death" but cannibal corpse, deicide, Napalm Death (obv) Sepultura Skinny Puppy haha there were quite a few in the early/mid 80s. I never got into it even though the 1st genre of our band was in fact, Death Metal plus punk and thrash metal in general. Only the Bass player was a big fan of this heavy, depressing noise and it's bizarre imagery. Godflesh! Oh that's industrial metal..anyway..we dropped any interest when indie music came out starting with The Stone Roses.

I remember buying my mate the Fools Gold CD and it seemed like within a few months we completely converted. We went from being SHC to The Just in a metter of months. Great time to be alive. Love the 90s. My timeline with all this is probably very wrong.

Never really been into Death Metal. It`s the vocals I can`t get away with. I can take the odd growl in short doses but not for a full album. However, some of those bands who grew out and away from that such as Katatonia, Opeth, Swallow The Sun and Anathema have real, genuine class.

Most stuff out of Florida that Scott Burns produced was decent. Funnily enough I have dug out my old Obituary stuff and it still holds up well.

Death evolved into a great band just wonder what they would have done if Chuck hadn't lost his battle. Control Denied are well worth a blast.

Best bands Morbid Angel (early stuff) Nocturnus , Obituary, Death, Deicide (the first couple of Cds), Dismember-Ever Flowing Stream and Entombed's first few releases.

Pestilence were probably my favourite backin the day. Theres a good north east Band called Live Burial tht doing really good Death style music, its having a bit of a resurgance at the minute.

Plank I forgot about them. Probably more grindcore than death but they are brutal. Isn't the lad Seth dead now. He was a nutjob. Some cracking song titles all very un PC.

Morbid Florist was a classic

I'm pretty into death metal. Having musically moved away from it for a few years, I'm heavily back into it.

The new Vader album is absolutely fantastic.

I've been listening to a lot of Bolt Thrower as well.
Anal Cunt are very good.

Not death metal.
Some of these are Thrash and not "Death" but cannibal corpse, deicide, Napalm Death (obv) Sepultura Skinny Puppy haha there were quite a few in the early/mid 80s. I never got into it even though the 1st genre of our band was in fact, Death Metal plus punk and thrash metal in general. Only the Bass player was a big fan of this heavy, depressing noise and it's bizarre imagery. Godflesh! Oh that's industrial metal..anyway..we dropped any interest when indie music came out starting with The Stone Roses.

I remember buying my mate the Fools Gold CD and it seemed like within a few months we completely converted. We went from being SHC to The Just in a metter of months. Great time to be alive. Love the 90s. My timeline with all this is probably very wrong.

Why do you have to be converted? Can't you enjoy both? I love the Stone Roses and death metal.

Last edited:
I'm pretty into death metal. Having musically moved away from it for a few years, I'm heavily back into it.

The new Vader album is absolutely fantastic.

I've been listening to a lot of Bolt Thrower as well.

Not death metal.

Why do you have to be converted? Can't you enjoy both? I love the Stone Roses and death metal.
You wouldn't like them anyway.

Nile are a really good intelligent death metal band.

Back in the day, @ErichZann and I had tickets to see Nile. We were sitting in The Borough having a pre-pint, when the barman who had a Nile tattoo came over to sadly tell us they had cancelled the show having arrived at The Cluny and decided the stage wasn't big enough for them :rolleyes:
You wouldn't like them anyway.

They're amusing, but not a huge fan of grindcore. Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse are far superior.

Last edited:

Back