Dear Foggy,

I hope this morning finds you well and happy. Three points yesterday will have done no harm! I could have PM'd you this note, but in the spirit of the caring, sharing SMB, I thought I might put this out there for the lads and lasses.

Yesterday was a big Birthday, and to 'celebrate' the missus and I invited over two friends, a couple I have known for 50 years. After eating and drinking too much, and getting outside a good bottle of scotch, we were talking, and I was pontificating about the good things in my life- “counting my blessings” if you will. I was discussing a little book called 'The Prophet' by Kalil Jibran, which holds more power and wisdom than any other printed word in the entire world, and has been by my side for decades. Trying to think of a modern equivalent, your name came to mind.

Myself and many others have described you as an inspiration, and I'd like to tell you why. When really shitty things come into your life; those inescapable, life-changing, God-awful events you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, like anyone else, you have no choice but to resist. Sinking deep into the moral reserves, you need to find the courage and determination to carry on, to work out a coping strategy, and when that plan screws up, to make another.

When I go to my place of resistance, I travel in my mind to a dark chamber. I sometimes visualise my Dad, who was a yacker and a member of the Mine Rescue Service, on call in a desperate situation, summoning up all his physical strength, his practical adaptability and his Goddam straight refusal to be beaten to confront what was in front of him. The last time I was in that dark place, there was a quiet voice telling me about living with pain; about feeling the fear and going ahead anyway; about exploring avenues you didn't know existed; about going to extraordinary lengths to get things done; about drawing strength from your family and friends, and about the importance of walking the dog. It was you my friend. A Master of Resistance.

I was thinking about where this power of resistance comes from, and I have concluded that it is powered by love. In my Dad's case he might have called it comradeship or brotherhood. Those men down there included his own brother and his Dad, as well as a lot of lads he had grown up with, but he would never in a million years have described his motivation for helping them as love. But that was the power behind it. When our family hold us in their arms, and maybe share a tear, their love is real and obvious. You have mentioned how important your daughter is in your fight, and also your ex and a few others. It is the same thing when you meet your marras in the street or down the pub and you share a man-hug (maybe not so much these days!)

We're Northern blokes so we don't talk much about love, but we recognise it and draw strength from it and we give it out too. And the more you do it, the more it grows. Perhaps the purest form of unconditional love you will encounter every day comes from your pooch. When she looks into your eyes and wags her tail she is giving you a little gift. I hope all the responses you get from the SMB carry a little gift of love to you too, because I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I tell you how much we appreciate the gift you give to us by sharing this part of your life. The gift of your inspiration is more valuable than rubies.

Dawn has come up since I started writing this and I am 'tired and emotional' so I am off to bed. Thank you @foggy lad. Bless you.

I hope this morning finds you well and happy. Three points yesterday will have done no harm! I could have PM'd you this note, but in the spirit of the caring, sharing SMB, I thought I might put this out there for the lads and lasses.

Yesterday was a big Birthday, and to 'celebrate' the missus and I invited over two friends, a couple I have known for 50 years. After eating and drinking too much, and getting outside a good bottle of scotch, we were talking, and I was pontificating about the good things in my life- “counting my blessings” if you will. I was discussing a little book called 'The Prophet' by Kalil Jibran, which holds more power and wisdom than any other printed word in the entire world, and has been by my side for decades. Trying to think of a modern equivalent, your name came to mind.

Myself and many others have described you as an inspiration, and I'd like to tell you why. When really shitty things come into your life; those inescapable, life-changing, God-awful events you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, like anyone else, you have no choice but to resist. Sinking deep into the moral reserves, you need to find the courage and determination to carry on, to work out a coping strategy, and when that plan screws up, to make another.

When I go to my place of resistance, I travel in my mind to a dark chamber. I sometimes visualise my Dad, who was a yacker and a member of the Mine Rescue Service, on call in a desperate situation, summoning up all his physical strength, his practical adaptability and his Goddam straight refusal to be beaten to confront what was in front of him. The last time I was in that dark place, there was a quiet voice telling me about living with pain; about feeling the fear and going ahead anyway; about exploring avenues you didn't know existed; about going to extraordinary lengths to get things done; about drawing strength from your family and friends, and about the importance of walking the dog. It was you my friend. A Master of Resistance.

I was thinking about where this power of resistance comes from, and I have concluded that it is powered by love. In my Dad's case he might have called it comradeship or brotherhood. Those men down there included his own brother and his Dad, as well as a lot of lads he had grown up with, but he would never in a million years have described his motivation for helping them as love. But that was the power behind it. When our family hold us in their arms, and maybe share a tear, their love is real and obvious. You have mentioned how important your daughter is in your fight, and also your ex and a few others. It is the same thing when you meet your marras in the street or down the pub and you share a man-hug (maybe not so much these days!)

We're Northern blokes so we don't talk much about love, but we recognise it and draw strength from it and we give it out too. And the more you do it, the more it grows. Perhaps the purest form of unconditional love you will encounter every day comes from your pooch. When she looks into your eyes and wags her tail she is giving you a little gift. I hope all the responses you get from the SMB carry a little gift of love to you too, because I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I tell you how much we appreciate the gift you give to us by sharing this part of your life. The gift of your inspiration is more valuable than rubies.

Dawn has come up since I started writing this and I am 'tired and emotional' so I am off to bed. Thank you @foggy lad. Bless you.

Well said - I have met @foggy - he is a top lad and given that I am fortunate to have come through the cancer a true gent as it cannot be easy when you are poorly and you meet someone who has come through - I am extremely lucky but people like foggy and some of the patients in the chemo ward along with the staff at the QE were brilliant. Anyone who thinks a chemo ward will be awful should visit - patients and staff trying to maintain a vibrant feel, It breaks my heart when people aren't as lucky as me but foggy has been an inspiration and shows how fighting this disease is vital.

Please lads and lasses if you ever have any symptoms of Bowel Cancer get them checked - don't put it off and don't think you will be laughed at.

I really don’t know what to say. I can ramble on here more easily as I’m a little bit anonymous and it’s my comfy pair of slippers world.

I was full of steroids yesterday so had a very late one. Me and the dog were all cuddled up as I was rattling on to her, cleaning out the eye goop, scratching the itchy bits and whatnot - back of ears are the favourite. And I had such a sense of peace of the world.

Thank you so much for the kind words. From you and everybody. I am keenly aware there are others on here who are going through illnesses and loved ones’ illness. I would say just love them. Let them know. There is actually such a silver lining that brings us closer. In lots of ways I wouldn’t have missed the last four years for it to make me realise what I have, how I can be a better person and appreciate this wonderful world for what it is. Family and friends are top of that list by that country mile they talk about.

Send my best to Dawn. Lovely lass.

I really don’t know what to say. I can ramble on here more easily as I’m a little bit anonymous and it’s my comfy pair of slippers world.

I was full of steroids yesterday so had a very late one. Me and the dog were all cuddled up as I was rattling on to her, cleaning out the eye goop, scratching the itchy bits and whatnot - back of ears are the favourite. And I had such a sense of peace of the world.

Thank you so much for the kind words. From you and everybody. I am keenly aware there are others on here who are going through illnesses and loved ones’ illness. I would say just love them. Let them know. There is actually such a silver lining that brings us closer. In lots of ways I wouldn’t have missed the last four years for it to make me realise what I have, how I can be a better person and appreciate this wonderful world for what it is. Family and friends are top of that list by that country mile they talk about.

Top bloke, always an inspiration. Respect 👊🏻

Me and the dog were all cuddled up as I was rattling on to her, cleaning out the eye goop, scratching the itchy bits and whatnot - back of ears are the favourite. And I had such a sense of peace of the world.

I was just thinking of this earlier. My puppy was upside down on my knee and I was scratching his chest and he was just laying there with his eyes half closed and a look of pure bliss on his face. It is a special kind of peace that.

Back