Deacon Blue

Perhaps, but Steely Dan were clearly a huge influence on those sophosti-pop artists from that time.
I adore the Steely Dan records. I'm not sure if I agree with the concept of 'guilty pleasures', you either like something or you don't and it doesn't matter if it's 'cool' or not. SD would be my guilty pleasure as I'm sure they've never been cool. Proper, good stereo system, quality headphones, private environment music.

Got to see them in 2009 and they were rotten. Overblown, self-indulgent, extended versions of songs, solos....all the gig crimes in one gig.

"The very thing" was the theme tune to "Take me home" £ part drama shown on BBC in 1989 . Maggie O'Neil get her chebs out for Keith Baron :)

And, of course, Deacon Blue was named after a Steely Dan track (and arguably one of their greatest).
...and Steely Dan were named after a dildo.
I adore the Steely Dan records. I'm not sure if I agree with the concept of 'guilty pleasures', you either like something or you don't and it doesn't matter if it's 'cool' or not. SD would be my guilty pleasure as I'm sure they've never been cool. Proper, good stereo system, quality headphones, private environment music.

Got to see them in 2009 and they were rotten. Overblown, self-indulgent, extended versions of songs, solos....all the gig crimes in one gig.
Never saw Steely Dan but I'm not adverse to extended versions and adaptations of songs performed live.

I guess Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were never fashionable as they were unattractive and geeky - even their first names were suboptimal. In my opinion their music is cool, however, and that continued with Fagen's brilliant solo albums and the bands that they evidently influenced.

Last edited:
...and Steely Dan were named after a dildo.

Never saw Steely Dan but I'm not adverse to extended versions and adaptations of songs performed live.

I guess Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were never fashionable as they were unattractive and geeky - even their first names were suboptimal. In my opinion their music is cool, however, and that continued with Fagen's brilliant solo albums and the bands that they evidently influenced.

I was a late comer to Steely Dan. They passed me by in the 70s and 80s as my dad had such bad taste in music (mostly country and western). I discovered Donald Fagan when I heard Nightfly being played at a student party and was instantly hooked. I then went out to buy Steel Dan's Greatest Hits.

I was a late comer to Steely Dan. They passed me by in the 70s and 80s as my dad had such bad taste in music (mostly country and western). I discovered Donald Fagan when I heard Nightfly being played at a student party and was instantly hooked. I then went out to buy Steel Dan's Greatest Hits.
I may even prefer Nightfly to Aja. Tough call - probably two of my top 25 albums.

...and Steely Dan were named after a dildo
My new band are also named after a dildo.

Look out for us, we're called mini-x2
One of the worst groups of all time in my expert opinion.
One of the worst groups of all time is a tad harsh on them, they are just a bit dull in my expert opinion.

Deacon Beige would have been a more fitting name.

Last edited:
Im sure seen them down Seaton Carew in the late 80s, early BBC roadshow days before they hired lots of noncey types. Might have been Jonny Hates Jazz supporting, no it was Brother Beyond I think. About 9 year old but Deacon Blues alright, and the BBC always been noncey.

The nod to Steely Dan should serve as a warning.

I liked two or three of their songs. ‘Love and Regret’ was one I discovered later.

But the ‘Steely Dan nod’ is a bit like Nyron Nosworthy calling his son Maradonna.

Back