Days off work when royalty die.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd imagine they'd probably do at least 1 day of mourning for Queenie, fuck knows about Prince Phillip mind (and unless it was classed as a statutory bank holiday I wouldn't get paid for it tbh :neutral:). I think old Phil is on his way out, but one never knows does one ? ;).

Question

Would you pay a full days wages out of your own pocket to say a tradesman you were employing on said funeral day if he wanted the day off?

I suspect the answer would be no, but it's no different to employing people when you have your own business why should a business pay for a days lost work it's just not fair

Having said that your post asks days off for a death in the royal family yes or no

When the queen mother had her funeral at work we offered the lads the day off without pay, no one took the offer up one or two however said "aye if we get paid"

This was never gonna happen in a small business if staff need to be paid why should an employer lose a days production, and pay for the privilege? Which brings it full circle to my first question
If the Monarch dies you have to stump up for the day off.

I'm not usually a great supporter of the principle of inherited titles, but in recognition of its place in our history I think we should be getting a bank holiday any time a monarch, prince, duke, earl, baron, marquis, baronet dies. It's just plain respect and decency.

Can't remember it when the queen mother died. Don't think we got one for Diana either.
If the Queen or Prince Philip or Charles were to die would we get a day off?
Usually do the funeral on a Saturday don't they?
I can't remember if there was a day off when the QM popped her clogs, but I was away for a few days in London. At it happened, we played Arsenal that day (it was a Saturday). Didn't go to the match, but I wanted to find out the scores. Phoned a mate of mine at full time. Conversation went a bit like this. "We were shit, Arsenal were all over us. 3-0 final score. Want the other results? Bolton 3 Villa 2, Chelsea 2 Derby 1, Leicester 2 Blackburn 1, Queen Mother's dead, Liverpool 2 Charlton 0, Southampton 1 Fulham 1 ..." etc. Had on Dave, what?

He'd been reading the scores from the Sky Sports ticker and that's what came up as he was reading them out! Funny as fuck.

Incidentally, her funeral was on a Tuesday.

I can't remember if there was a day off when the QM popped her clogs, but I was away for a few days in London. At it happened, we played Arsenal that day (it was a Saturday). Didn't go to the match, but I wanted to find out the scores. Phoned a mate of mine at full time. Conversation went a bit like this. "We were shit, Arsenal were all over us. 3-0 final score. Want the other results? Bolton 3 Villa 2, Chelsea 2 Derby 1, Leicester 2 Blackburn 1, Queen Mother's dead, Liverpool 2 Charlton 0, Southampton 1 Fulham 1 ..." etc. Had on Dave, what?

He'd been reading the scores from the Sky Sports ticker and that's what came up as he was reading them out! Funny as fuck.

Incidentally, her funeral was on a Tuesday.

I was with a couple of mates in Central Park eating some lunch from a nearby deli. Got a text from my mate to say "The QM has fallen off the Royal Tree." We all just did a Jamie Oliver type flippant "don't give a shit" expression and carried on eating. Then it dawned on us all simultaneously that we could play this now tragic news to our advantage that evening.

So we positioned ourselves carefully in subsequent bars, looking sad and saying things like "That dear sweet old lady... she was the backbone of the British Monarchy.... what a sad day... etc" Some of the lasses got a bit confused and thought it was Queen Elizabeth who had died ("We'd be in tears then man!") but most were "extremely sympathetic" and gave out hugs and more to what they thought were grieving Brits. They're a funny bunch.

I was with a couple of mates in Central Park eating some lunch from a nearby deli. Got a text from my mate to say "The QM has fallen off the Royal Tree." We all just did a Jamie Oliver type flippant "don't give a shit" expression and carried on eating. Then it dawned on us all simultaneously that we could play this now tragic news to our advantage that evening.

So we positioned ourselves carefully in subsequent bars, looking sad and saying things like "That dear sweet old lady... she was the backbone of the British Monarchy.... what a sad day... etc" Some of the lasses got a bit confused and thought it was Queen Elizabeth who had died ("We'd be in tears then man!") but most were "extremely sympathetic" and gave out hugs and more to what they thought were grieving Brits. They're a funny bunch.
It's that kind of enterprising spirit that made this country great. :lol:

Who cares if phil the greek pops his clogs?
I thought one mourned statesmen ( or women ) who had actually made some positive contribution over a long period.
He was an arrogant playboy who married way above his station and gained notoriety for uttering fascist and racist inanities.
Doubt there is any royal alive that deserves any mourning when they pass.

There'll be one when Liam G dies.
Yes the LGB and amateur karaoke communities will be in tatters

I was thinking this after the recent Portuguese forest fires and their 3 days of mourning. When was the last time the U.K. had one? Churchill's death or was that just a state funeral?
Don't think we've ever had a Portugese forest fire mate.

I imagine there won't be an official day of mourning and it'll be optional as to whether or not to give staff a day off - like the Royal wedding

Funeral on a Saturday?

Great.

No day off, no football and the tele filled with weepy sycophantic wankers.

Diana's was a Saturday.
I was at school :evil:

I don't think we get a day off. It's more likely in the case of a Royal Wedding that we might, but even Hazza getting married probably wouldn't give us a day off.

I imagine there won't be an official day of mourning and it'll be optional as to whether or not to give staff a day off - like the Royal wedding

I await a fuckton of grumbling by either anyone self-employed or working in a service industry who "won't get the day off".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back