1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Davis states there has been no systematic impact assessment of Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by janiep, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM.

1. tiptoad

tiptoad Winger

Were they informed about the economic consequences of leaving the Single Market, or did they just accept the Leave liars' claim that we would have our cake and eat it?

2. Jardin

Jardin Winger

That would be a daft question to ask - how would any of them hear the answer?

Astra likes this.
  3. Narraback

Narraback Winger

I honestly cannot believe you posted that video. Andrew Neil destroyed it and its creator months ago :oops:

ollie c likes this.
  4. RedFlag1308

RedFlag1308 Midfield

It wasnt clear to everyone though, thats why we are having the issues now. Some people wanted to stay in the single market and leave the EU, some wanted to leave the EU and leave the single market. We voted on leaving the EU.

It wouldnt be as contentious an issue if there werent already non EU members participating in the market. But the EU has successfully set up so many varied global relationships with outside nations then it is logical for people who arent experts in politics to look at existing models and see them as a template, Norway was mentioned an awful lot.

I'm not making this point as any kind of remainer straw clutching. We could have a single market referendum and vote to leave it 52/48, fine, problem solved. The reason why I feel we need one is to make the direction absolutely clear so the government can impliment what the public want. What the public want RE: the single market isnt clear right now, regardless of what David Cameron, or Daniel Hannan said, they dont speak for the electorate.

5. Narraback

Narraback Winger

Listening to Wake Up To Money this morning. The panel they had agreed that impact statements are incredibly unreliable and their accuracy rate is 'tiny'. They also agreed there should be some for Brexit. Make of that what you will :confused:

6. daedalus

daedalus Winger

No, I'm not. Remainers have always argued that the Brexit didn't vote for this or that. I'm pointing out that the public listened to Cameron remain and leave and made their own minds up: they were a lot more informed than remain will ever admit.
    We haven't left yet, so we'll wait and see what kind of deal we get before making any predictions.

7. I was of the opinion that there should never have been a referendum in the first place, especially one run like it was ie do you want to leave EU or do you want to remain in EU. I used to think the Government should have made the decisions, but seeing now how completely useless they have turned out to be I am not so sure.

I would like to think if there was another referendum it would be 98% remain and 2% leave now.

This thread has been quite interesting because after reading the boards there is usually (it seems) a preponderence (sp?) of leave voters, but in this thread it feels that even the leave voters are seeing brexit for what it actually is.

thehighground and RedFlag1308 like this.
  8. WHD

WHD Striker

So you think he's shafting us? How's that?

9. tiptoad

tiptoad Winger

No he didn't, he showed that most of what was said by these Leavers was before the campaign began, not that they hadn't spouted this shite and lies at all.

10. ollie c

ollie c Striker

I'm told he holds all the cards. It's said most days on here. He runs the show...tells us to go away and think again etc. It's what a few on here have been thrapping over.

That said, my caption was an attempt at levity.

11. Jardin

Jardin Winger

The public listened to Cameron about leaving the Single Market - they took it as genuine cause he said it. Yet, also, half of the same public ignored where he said it would be a complete disaster, and voted leave, not believing him. He is either believable or not. It is no good claiming Remain voters knew they were leaving the single market because a bloke said it who all leavers clearly believed to be lying. It is either believable or a proven liar. If he is a proven liar, stating people should have known something cause he said it holds no water.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM
    scraff likes this.
  12. FootballFan

FootballFan Striker

:) good counter-serve.

13. Narraback

Narraback Winger

No he did not. He showed the creator of the video up to be a duplicitous tool.

14. Pete

Pete Midfield

I think its the fact Davis said the were being carried out in minute detail and now turns round and says they don`t exist is the issue. He's either lied to parliament or the Brexit committee

15. Narraback

Narraback Winger

I agree. He should have just said they're shite from the outset.

16. Pete

Pete Midfield

No, he should resign for lying to either the house or the committee

17. tiptoad

tiptoad Winger

Wrong again, the creator's only mistake was to claim that the lies and horseshit from the Leavers was said during the referendum campaign.

They were still lies and horseshit peddled to the public by prominent Leavers.

18. WHD

WHD Striker

Well, we could just say to him "fuck off, no deal" and walk away without paying anything, couldn't we?

19. Slim999

Slim999 Full Back

That is a circular argument. Cameron did explain the pitfalls of leaving the single market - but his words were cast as 'project fear' or 'remain lies' (to use your term ).
    Therefore many didn't trust his prediction.
    Geddit?