David Bowie used to hide under the table to avoid Roger Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Stan

Striker
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...nd-007-friends-dylan-jones-book-a7965561.html

A new book tells the story that when David Bowie moved to Switzerland at the end of the 70s, he didn’t know anybody there.

One day, about half-past five in the afternoon, there’s a knock on the door, and there he was: ‘Hello, David.’ Roger Moore comes in, and they had a cup of tea. He stays for drinks, and then dinner, and tells lots of stories about the James Bond films. They had a fantastic time - a brilliant night.

But then, the next day, at 5.30… Knock, knock, it’s Roger Moore. He invites himself in again, and sits down: ‘Yeah, I’ll have a gin and tonic, David.’ He tells the same stories - but they’re slightly less entertaining the second time around.

It was apparently here where the burgeoning friendship came to an end. After two weeks of Moore turning up at 5.25pm - literally every day - David Bowie could be found underneath the kitchen table pretending not to be in.

Brilliant. We've all done it. I used to hide behind the settee from a boring friend of my sister's. :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...nd-007-friends-dylan-jones-book-a7965561.html

A new book tells the story that when David Bowie moved to Switzerland at the end of the 70s, he didn’t know anybody there.

One day, about half-past five in the afternoon, there’s a knock on the door, and there he was: ‘Hello, David.’ Roger Moore comes in, and they had a cup of tea. He stays for drinks, and then dinner, and tells lots of stories about the James Bond films. They had a fantastic time - a brilliant night.

But then, the next day, at 5.30… Knock, knock, it’s Roger Moore. He invites himself in again, and sits down: ‘Yeah, I’ll have a gin and tonic, David.’ He tells the same stories - but they’re slightly less entertaining the second time around.

It was apparently here where the burgeoning friendship came to an end. After two weeks of Moore turning up at 5.25pm - literally every day - David Bowie could be found underneath the kitchen table pretending not to be in.

Brilliant. We've all done it. I used to hide behind the settee from a boring friend of my sister's. :lol:

Our lasses grandad comes round all the time at the most awkward times and always wants to stay for a cup of tea and to tell the same stories. Not going to lie we’ve hid a few times including the kids :lol:

Our lasses grandad comes round all the time at the most awkward times and always wants to stay for a cup of tea and to tell the same stories. Not going to lie we’ve hid a few times including the kids :lol:
Relative of Roger's? :lol:

I used to hide behind the settee from this woman and she'd actually peer through the sitting room window. I had to bribe the cats not to point at me crouching down. :lol:

Not sure I've hidden totally but I've tried to stay very still and ignore the door on a few occasions.

Meeting people in the street is thing I dislike, especially if they're going in the same direction as me and have a tendency to walk too slowly. I've also started trying to avoid the local benign nut job. He lives along the road and seems okay at first (well, as okay as you can be as someone who regularly goes and sits out on a bench near his house to have a cigarette and a can of Stella) then after being derailed by him two or three times, you realise that he will manouvre it round to Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books (and/or the TV adaptation) and from there (via brief mention of Napoleon) to the SAS who are indoubtedly already in North Korea, in deep cover, in case things kick off.

My ex girlfriend's ex boyfriend used to hide in the toilet if she came round to a mutual friend's house (of theirs, not of hers and mine, or mine and his) when he was there. I'd have learned a lot from that if only it hadn't taken me 10 years to understand it.

"Let's Hide,
Hide under a table from Roger Moore" :)

My ex girlfriend's ex boyfriend used to hide in the toilet if she came round to a mutual friend's house (of theirs, not of hers and mine, or mine and his) when he was there. I'd have learned a lot from that if only it hadn't taken me 10 years to understand it.

When you say "hide in the toilet", you mean the room rather than the actually device, right?

did he have a see through house or something?

Not that I'm doubting the story in any way....it's rather similar to the story Mel Brooks has told for years about Cary Grant.

Not that I'm doubting the story in any way....it's rather similar to the story Mel Brooks has told for years about Cary Grant.
:lol: Aw, poor Cary! I would imagine the story and various names could be interchangeable. It's the weird combination of Bowie and Roger that makes me laugh. I'm also getting a whiff of Alan Partridge. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back