Davey Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Without being morbid or disrespectful to the lad, how do they know he's passed then ?
I appreciate people's desire to find out more info, but as ISOE II has requested we keep this thread on Davey and all the great, selfless things he did for people.

As I've lived away from the North East for 30 years, he'd always make sure to call me to see if I needed a ticket for an away game. The ticket call would last 30 seconds, then we'd chat about Durham cricket or England's latest tour. He basically made it possible for we to watch the lads over the last 20 odd years.

Cheers Taff, knew I wasn't imagining it.
Am pretty sure Dave told me it himself, but it could have been Davy Lish (who sadly departed a few years back).
Just such a great character and gutted he is gone.
There's a blast from the past - Davy Lish. Had many a chat with him about the lads and his music collection. Another went to soon circa 2010 IIRC.

I am trying very hard to get through this but it's very difficult. My thoughts are very much with his family and I hope that they have the strength to cope. He, obviously, left a tremendous impression on me and I had not realised how much so until I received the news that he was missing. It's sad, so very sad.

There's a blast from the past - Davy Lish. Had many a chat with him about the lads and his music collection. Another went to soon circa 2010 IIRC.

Two peas in a pod. And, a very good pod at that.

I still owe Davy Lish my petrol money from a trip to Grimsby about 25 years ago.....Every cloud and that marra;);)

Davey will be up there laughing at that. Between them both, the two Daves knew everything there was to know about Sunderland AFC, Durham CC and the local leagues. They are the likes of which we will never see again, unfortunately.

Davey will be up there laughing at that. Between them both, the two Daves knew everything there was to know about Sunderland AFC, Durham CC and the local leagues. They are the likes of which we will never see again, unfortunately.

I remember the trip well. I was sitting in his Astra (I think) with him, Hillam and Fox....Now I thought I knew SAFC but that day I was just a mere bystander

Reactions: GTG
Every time I pass Horden's ground I say a hello to Lishy.
As the Adserve season was over, Lishy suggested we go to see Moore Paragon play in the Sunday cup final v a Durham team iirc at Horden.
Paragon got battered but forced the game in to extra time where they scored on the break and ended up winners. He was absolutely over the moon and when we went on the pitch to congratulate the lads, they all seemed to know him - Pete Kemp, Tommy Cowie etc.
He was a good lad Lishy, he could talk under watta at times but he was good company.

I remember the trip well. I was sitting in his Astra (I think) with him, Hillam and Fox....Now I thought I knew SAFC but that day I was just a mere bystander

Is that you Keith ??

Two walking, talking sports encyclopedias.

Oh aye, but no one rivals statto boy - stand up @Porridge , oh, you are oops:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
As the Adserve season was over, Lishy suggested we go to see Moore Paragon play in the Sunday cup final v a Durham team iirc at Horden.
Paragon got battered but forced the game in to extra time where they scored on the break and ended up winners. He was absolutely over the moon and when we went on the pitch to congratulate the lads, they all seemed to know him - Pete Kemp, Tommy Cowie etc.
He was a good lad Lishy, he could talk under watta at times but he was good company.

Yes, that's Lishy. He had an air of arragance about him which was not in the least bit offensive. More of a stature and an air of confidence. A character who is much missed.

Is that you Keith ??

Oh aye, but no one rivals statto boy - stand up @Porridge , oh, you are oops:lol:

Another memory of Lishy was when the two of us went over to Carlisle for a pre season friendly around 93 iirc.

Butcher was having a bash at trying to get a contract but had a mare as we lost. " Thats the last we'll see of him" says Davie, " the General Belgrano had a tighter turning circle than that useless bugger".

Needless to say, we signed him 2 days later !!

Is that you Keith ??

Fecking bassa :evil:

:lol:

Can I just add that my thoughts are with Daveys family and friends. One of those faces I saw at numerous away games, always a nod of recognition and a sort of mutual respect for following the Lads.

RIP lad.

Reactions: GTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back