Davey Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was me that did the press pass!

Davey got a ticket off somebody he knew (not sure who it was).

I seen Davey just outside the ground on my way up there, walked up behind him and said David Dowell. He completely froze then turned round slowly to see it was me and I genuinely thought he was going to swing for me!!

He went in the ground quite early and the team were on the pitch warming up and it was Bally that gave the game away as Daveys ticket was near the tunnel! Came off after warming up, seen Davey and shouted and waved over!
Apologies. I must pay more attention to deputy Dawg's anecdotes in future. Or drink less so I remember them better. :)

So what was the new magazine you invented?

Some class memories everybody.

Another thing Davie would do on all the pre-season trips was take a load of Sunderland badges over and hand them out to random local youngsters in the crowd. The beaming smile I saw from one young kid in Korea who showed it to his father I still remember to this day!.

52 is no age to go. I didn't know him but the stories on here make him larger than life. RIP and hopefully his family can take a tiny bit of comfort that he seemed to have a great life.
He was but not in a life a soul way. He was always there but at times you didn't know it. He could standing the periphery and say not 1 word for ages then just light up.
Its often that you only hear good things about people after they have passed even if they have a chequered past, this isn't the case on this occasion. Nobody had a bad word for him when he was here. Not 1.

Couldnt agree more. This is definitely NOT the place to discuss the hows, whys and wherefores.

There was great tale of when he was at some outdoor do (possibly to do with cricket) which had a marquee.
Dave had one too many, climbed up the main guy rope and slid down on his butt a whoopin and a hollerin:lol:.
My memory isnt what it used to be, but I am sure it was Dave involved. Perhaps Taff/Mike will confirm.
Boldon Cricket Club used to have a cracking barbecue each year. 1986? Davey decides to clime to the top of the huge marquee and "eddy the Eagle" down. I wasn't there living in London at the time.
Following year I'm back in Sunlun and Davey sell me a ticket. He'll not try that again we all think. Particularly as his arm in in plaster cos he's broke it playing footy in the dinner time at work.
We were wrong.
"Anyone seen Dabber?" "No, probably at the nettie"
We found out seconds later that he wasn't nettying. When he burst through the Marquee roof.
As Big John said a few posts back. His daftness was legendary.
Taff

I shared so many good times with this wonderful man. A room in Accrington after a Burnley away game. A car crash on the way home on the same weekend (everyone escaped uninjured but don't think he went to another away game by car after that!). We ran away from angry Wolves supporters after we beat them at Molineux midweek. He paid for my ticket to get to Tranmere away last game of the season when we had won the league and I was skint! There are so many more memories I could write about but you get the gist. I don't think there are enough words to explain how everyone who knew him are feeling right at this moment. All we can do is remember the good times. RIP Davey Dowell, the Ledge and a true gentleman xxx

Boldon Cricket Club used to have a cracking barbecue each year. 1986? Davey decides to clime to the top of the huge marquee and "eddy the Eagle" down. I wasn't there living in London at the time.
Following year I'm back in Sunlun and Davey sell me a ticket. He'll not try that again we all think. Particularly as his arm in in plaster cos he's broke it playing footy in the dinner time at work.
We were wrong.
We found out seconds later that he wasn't nettying. When he burst through the Marquee roof.
Taff
We'll said L.
Gentleman is the key word.

That was me that did the press pass!

Davey got a ticket off somebody he knew (not sure who it was).

I seen Davey just outside the ground on my way up there, walked up behind him and said David Dowell. He completely froze then turned round slowly to see it was me and I genuinely thought he was going to swing for me!!

He went in the ground quite early and the team were on the pitch warming up and it was Bally that gave the game away as Daveys ticket was near the tunnel! Came off after warming up, seen Davey and shouted and waved over!
One of the key points to this was that some Mag from Dunlop had given Didge his season ticket for the day
Even the Skunks respected him and his loyalty. Very little of that respect was mutual.
B-O-Y-D
J-I-D

Some class memories everybody.

Another thing Davie would do on all the pre-season trips was take a load of Sunderland badges over and hand them out to random local youngsters in the crowd. The beaming smile I saw from one young kid in Korea who showed it to his father I still remember to this day!.
If it was anyone else you'd have thought he was grooming. Talk to anyone who took their bairns to the match and they'll tell you about hoping ket in the direction of the kids.
Gérard is with us in Barca and he has recalled the story of young Josh's first match and been presented with a packet of wine gums off "uncle Davey".

Last edited:
As I said a couple of days ago I never knew the lad personally but no doubt mates of mine will have, good words said earlier not the time to ask how or why, but a time for all you's who knew him to reflect on his life. I am touched with the response from you lot about a true follower a loyal lad as ever there was one especially about spreading the word about us far and wide I thought I did my little bit when abroad but nothing to touch this lad. A truly spirited loyal red and white who would be proud to read his accolades I hope his family can take heart from knowing what he meant to an awful lot of people.

Just read the whole of this thread......what has happened is all the sadder because characters like D D only crop up very occasionally.....a character in the true sense of the word,and rightly well known all over Sunderland and beyond....I last saw him maybe 6 months ago,just about to jump on a bus so couldnt speak,wish i had now:cry:

We were wrong.
Taff

We'll said L.
Gentleman is the key word.

One of the key points to this was that some Mag from Dunlop had given Didge his season ticket for the day
Even the Skunks respected him and his loyalty. Very little of that respect was mutual.
B-O-Y-D
J-I-D

If it was anyone else you'd have thought he was grooming. Talk to anyone who took their bairns to the match and they'll tell you about hoping ket in the direction of the kids.
Gérard is with us in Barca and he has recalled the story of young Josh's first match and been presented with a packet of wine gums off "uncle Davey".

Cheers Taff, knew I wasn't imagining it.
Am pretty sure Dave told me it himself, but it could have been Davy Lish (who sadly departed a few years back).
Just such a great character and gutted he is gone.

I recall a game Dabber played for Boldon against an West Indian fast bowler who bowled a bouncer. Dave wanders down the pitch and tap a spot nearer the other end than the one he was batting at.

The next bouncer arrived and he was waiting for it over the slips he lifted the ball for four. These are the days before helmets. He was a fearless batsmen. With his favourite call "come one young 'un".

RIP Dabber

I recall a game Dabber played for Boldon against an West Indian fast bowler who bowled a bouncer. Dave wanders down the pitch and tap a spot nearer the other end than the one he was batting at.

The next bouncer arrived and he was waiting for it over the slips he lifted the ball for four. These are the days before helmets. He was a fearless batsmen. With his favourite call "come one young 'un".

RIP Dabber
That's my favourite Didge cricket story. I only played cricket with him once, at Nowton after a game at Ipswich. He offered me advice when I was bowling, but it was only when he batted I realised what a good cricketer he was. He had so much time.

When we left for the train back to London Didge went north. We stopped off for a pint, Teacher spotted bottles of Dab beer. A few were purchased for Dabber Dowell.

Absolutely gutted he's gone, it's still sinking in. The stories about him on here are a great read and a lovely insight to what Didge was like; a true gentleman. He has done so much for me and so many other people over the years. Adored his cricket and football. Wasn't really aware of his wild side in his younger days until now though!

I've been going to the match since I was young and saw him every time we went, he was usually the one that sorted our tickets. He'd always turn up with a grin on his face, radio in one hand and a load of programmes tucked under his blue shirt. He'd usually have a packet of fruit pastilles for us waiting too. Whatever the weather it would always be a blue shirt and dark jacket, don't think Didge was bothered by the weather unless it was pre season!

As I got older and bought my season ticket he'd still sort my ticket for away games, think my dad had probably asked him to keep an eye on me and ever since I've always been near him at the match, we've shared some cracking moments over the years following Sunderland. Lots of highs and lots of lows too. You could never meet anyone who has travelled further to watch Sunderland or any fan of any team in the world more dedicated than him. He loved a cider or a vodka and after a few it would always be about "keeping the front foot forward young un".

Going to the games will never be the same without him. He'd do anything to watch the match so I'm sure he'll be somewhere looking over wherever we're playing as always.

See you on the other side Didge.

RIP Dabber
I tried something similar against a South African lad who was sharp as hell, bounced me and instead of doing a Davey Dowell 4, shelled it up and straight down the bowlers throat.

Gonna miss our Yorkshire/Durham arguments we always had

I'm sure he was on the supporters busses we used to take in the 80's, we got on in billingham.

Used to see him at away games after I moved away

Last time was Hong Kong in the bar, was as mental as ever

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back