Dave Jones and Tom Sloanes

Gary Neville is paid for his opinions on football - not the current political climate.

No surprise sky sports wanted to distance themselves from his comments

He was giving his opinion on racism in football from the context of racism in society. Don't see the issue myself. The two are interlinked.

Back on topic, I think Dave Jones has came across badly cos of this but he was put in an impossible situation IMO. Because Sky are shit scared of any controversy whatsoever they'll have made him come out with that shit but it's done him no favours unfortunately.

The Sunderland curse. Within a few days of signing up, Dave Jones’ stellar career hits a minor bump.

Hopefully our resident club PR expert won’t make it worse, as in the Paolo di Canio ‘I’m not a fascist’ club statement.

He was giving his opinion on racism in football from the context of racism in society. Don't see the issue myself. The two are interlinked.

Back on topic, I think Dave Jones has came across badly cos of this but he was put in an impossible situation IMO. Because Sky are shit scared of any controversy whatsoever they'll have made him come out with that shit but it's done him no favours unfortunately.

The whole conversation is about racism in football and they all agree more needs to be done. It's the fact Neville goes on to say "racism is accepted in the highest office in the country".

That statement put Dave Jones in a horrible position and Neville shouldn't have brought political parties into the conversation

The whole conversation is about racism in football and they all agree more needs to be done. It's the fact Neville goes on to say "racism is accepted in the highest office in the country".

That statement put Dave Jones in a horrible position.

Thing is, he's right though isn't he? He's just framing the problem within the context of society. I agree with him TBH... I honestly think a lot of people who are doing racist things now feel empowerment from the fact that the current PM thinks it's ok to offer racist slurs towards numerous ethnic minority groups.

That statement put Dave Jones in a horrible position and Neville shouldn't have brought political parties into the conversation

Neville was spot on. When political leaders have used language and terminology that goes virtually unpunished then it gives people the belief that it’s acceptable and it enables them.

Jones was put in a difficult position and he was obviously under instruction but it didn’t look great

Jones has done nothing at all wrong there. Neville was entitled to say what he did. I can't say I disagree with him, but Jones will have had to make clear that the stuff about the government wasn't sky's position, as others have mentioned he'll have had his producer in his ear. He was completely professional and said what he had to say, bloke was just doing his job

This all over. Non-starter for me.

Thing is, he's right though isn't he? He's just framing the problem within the context of society. I agree with him TBH... I honestly think a lot of people who are doing racist things now feel empowerment from the fact that the current PM thinks it's ok to offer racist slurs towards numerous ethnic minority groups.
What didnt know he was anti semetic oh ....sorry wrong leader

Hasn’t taken long for people to jump on Dave Jones back haven’t even had a game yet and some people can’t help themselves
Givower man. Hed be getting stick on here for it even if he wasn’t a safc fan or a semi-board member.

:lol:

Last edited:
Personally thought Gary was wittering on about nothing much in particular. Sentiment was right, but just kept repeating the same lines about not pointing the finger at the Bulgarian FA and that the FA should do “something”, but not actually elaborating on what would be. Ashley Cole made the more grounded and reasonable points.

Not sure why Dave Jones is being jumped on really. Bloke was doing his job, and Gary was going on a bit.

@DavidJonesSky

I’m so sorry to have spoiled what was such an important discussion on racism tonight. I had to intervene when Gary suggested the two main political parties were to blame - I didn’t make that clear enough. For that I apologise unreservedly.

@DavidJonesSky

I would never purposefully shut down a discussion on racism. I’ve worked for Sky for over 20 years and know they share my view that racism of any kind should not be tolerated. That is not a debate. And that’s why I’m so very disappointed and sorry tonight.

It could only happen to Sunderland this, like. Its almost comical. From pretty decent Sky Sports presenter to Sunderland DOF to a hate figure within 7 days. We are fuckin cursed.

@DavidJonesSky

I’m so sorry to have spoiled what was such an important discussion on racism tonight. I had to intervene when Gary suggested the two main political parties were to blame - I didn’t make that clear enough. For that I apologise unreservedly.

@DavidJonesSky

I would never purposefully shut down a discussion on racism. I’ve worked for Sky for over 20 years and know they share my view that racism of any kind should not be tolerated. That is not a debate. And that’s why I’m so very disappointed and sorry tonight.

Really feel for the bloke. Anyone watching will know that he wasn't condoning racism of any sort, he wasn't disagreeing that players might want to walk off, or suggesting that they shouldn't feel empowered to do so. As a professional employee of Sky, however, he had to remain non political and stress that comments regarding the government were those of Neville. Of course it'll now be twisted and a load of people who didn't watch it, and probably aren't even arsed about football, will suddenly get offended because they'll believe that he was disagreeing with the last thing Neville said. I don't disagree with anything Neville said but he put Jones in a shit position, especially when he then challenged him after Jones making the obvious "this isn't Sky's position" statement. I hope this doesn't become an ill informed witch hunt and deflect from the actual issue which does need to be tackled to the fullest extent and discussed.

@skysports (quoting DJ tweet) Sky Sports is against racism of all forms in any walk of life and will continue to give a platform to eradicating this vile behaviour from society.

Sorry like but you're thick as fuck if you don't think he was told to say that. Off air he'll have told Neville the crack and will agree with him, like any decent person will. Neville was bang on but unfortunately personal opinions like that leave Sky wide open. A shit state of affairs really but Jones was doing his job.

Haven’t read any of this thread. Can’t be arsed to. Dave Jones was clearly told to say what he did. Anyhow, is that the problem? No it’s not.

Why not?

Its absolutely linked.

If he can't discuss why its happening then they can't discuss racism at all other

otherwise they just have to lie and pretend its only a football problem

It's not an incorrect statement though is it. When you have Corbyn accused of antisemitism, Boris saying muslims with hijabs look like letterboxes, bank robbers and smiling waterlemons and a few years back Farage saying immigrants should go back to 'Bongo bongo land' (wherever that is) that is pretty much inciting hatred which isn't acted upon in the highest levels of society which means the problem trickles all the way down into the lower levels of society and working class people which includes the football field. That's pretty much the point Gary was making, there's nothing slanderous about it because these are words which are well documented which have been said.

If Gary said The Greens are racist fucks then we're talking slanderous comments and reputation damage which could involve lawsuits then Dave Jones has every right to distance himself from it

Back