Data Protection stuff

Not sure if there are any DPA/GDPR experts on here to give a bit of advice for something which wound me up more than being serious.

Mrs was shopping in Sainsburys last night and paid for her stuff at the self checkout and somehow managed to drop her bank card without realising and only noticed this morning on her way to work.

She rang Sainsburys and was told by their customer service person that the bank card had been found and handed in. However they stipulated that if it wasnt collected by the close of business tonight it would be automatically destroyed due to Data Protection Laws. She isnt able to go tonight to get it and they wont allow anyone to collect it on her behalf with a passport to prove it is the correct person

Now I'm no expert but it seems a little bit over zealous of them to destroy everything if not collected within 24 hours but surely this is a company policy and nothing to do with Data Protection and GDPR legislation?

As you say, probably company policy. It may well have been implemented as a result of GDPR, but I am pretty sure its not a requirement of GDPR to destroy credit cards 24 hours after you find them!
Sledgehammer to crack a nut. Ironically in comparison Asda keep them for 10 days

Its not data protection but it is company policy - I left my card at Sainsbury last year, when I realised shortly after I want back for it - they had a box with approx. 200 cards in it and fished mine out for me - I asked the lass how long they keep them for, she said these were just off today and they all get cut up at the end of the day, so its understandable they don't want hundreds of lost cards hanging about

There won't be anything specifically covering that scenario. It will be company or local policy designed to not be caught out by them storing personal data longer than is necessary.

It seems over zealous and they should use some common sense seeing as you have been in contact.

I would tweet Sainsbury's about it.

Its not data protection but it is company policy - I left my card at Sainsbury last year, when I realised shortly after I want back for it - they had a box with approx. 200 cards in it and fished mine out for me - I asked the lass how long they keep them for, she said these were just off today and they all get cut up at the end of the day, so its understandable they don't want hundreds of lost cards hanging about

200 lost cards in a single day - bloody hell

That doesnt sound like a good way of storing personal data. 200 cards in a box :)

Is it to cover their own backs? Suppose the card was cloned and someone went on a massive spending spree between now and you picking the card up in a few days time. They don't want to accused of any fraudulent activity that might happen while they are in possession of the card.

I've nearly left mine several times mind after doing chip and pin mid-packing, then forgetting to take the card back out of the machine :oops:

Seems reasonably sensible policy. Not hard to get a new card sent out from the bank.
Before Xmas?

I was more irritated by them saying despite knowing it would be collected they still say if it isnt done within 24 hours of it being handed in they just shred it citing data protection, whereas other places say longer.

Before Xmas?

I was more irritated by them saying despite knowing it would be collected they still say if it isnt done within 24 hours of it being handed in they just shred it citing data protection, whereas other places say longer.

Phone the bank today and ask for a new card by next day delivery.

I agree like it’s a bit harsh.

Before Xmas?

In that situation I'd ask to speak to the store manager and ask if they can make an exception, explaining the circumstances. I'd wager there's room for common sense to come into play in some scenarios.

Barclays?
Lloyds definitely do.

Phone the bank today and ask for a new card by next day delivery.

I agree like it’s a bit harsh.
I will hopefully have after work as long as i take her passport to prove identity matches card details. She is weird and remembers the card number, expiry and CSV code so i have that too :)

Lloyds definitely do.
Santander definitely dont

In that situation I'd ask to speak to the store manager and ask if they can make an exception, explaining the circumstances. I'd wager there's room for common sense to come into play in some scenarios.
That was the customer services person repeating verbatim what the store manager was saying. I could hear the conversation they were having

Back