Dash Cams- What do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ive been thinking about getting one for a while due to being bumped and the offender being silly about it. sorted in the end but took about a year.

ive just checked which and there 3 best buys are all nextbase.

312GW deluxe 72%

212lite 71%

512G ultra. 71%

some of the reviews are not good, but some people are just unreasonable. What comes screaming out, is to see the camera in action as opposed to reading reviews. check what distance the camera can see the reg plate and to ensure the park facility is always going to be ready for activation. apparently the sensitivity has to be adjusted. maybe a trip to Halfords or currys to see whats good and not.

This is the problem with dash cams. They don't only show other drivers, they also show you being a wanker who doesn't understand the principles of merge in lane!

For those who share this ignorance - you are meant to use both lanes up to the point where the cones begin. Then you allow cars in the inside lane to merge seamlessly into the outside lane. Or vice versa depending on which lane is closed.

Drove for 28 years. Never in that time would I have needed one. I'll do without.

My daughter could have used one on two occasions in the past couple of months. Once when parked in Eldon Square when a Mercedes didnt reverse out of his space far enough and scraped the paintwork before driving off. Luckily she was walking her dog close by and ran after him and got a photo of the car. The police then viewed the security footage and traced the owner. Bastard.

The second one was again when the car was parked, this time at Asda in the Metrocentre, and another bastard somehow almost removed the wheel arch while the car was unattended. Think that must have been a bastard in a wheelchair going by the height of the damage and they must have gone full tilt into the car. Hope the bastard got whiplash!

Even the lad who repaired the damage said that he hoped that he didn't see my daughter again - in the nicest possible sense!

Last edited:
This is the problem with dash cams. They don't only show other drivers, they also show you being a wanker who doesn't understand the principles of merge in lane!

For those who share this ignorance - you are meant to use both lanes up to the point where the cones begin. Then you allow cars in the inside lane to merge seamlessly into the outside lane. Or vice versa depending on which lane is closed.

My daughter could have used one on two occasions in the past couple of months. Once when parked in Eldon Square when a Mercedes didnt reverse out of his space far enough and scraped the paintwork before driving off. Luckily she was walking her dog close by and ran after him and got a photo of the car. The police then viewed the security footage and traced the owner. Bastard.

The second one was again when the car was parked, this time at Asda in the Metrocentre, and another bastard somehow almost removed the wheel arch while the car was unattended. Think that must have been a bastard in a wheelchair going by the height of the damage and they must have gone full tilt into the car. Hope the bastard got whiplash!

Even the lad who repaired the damage said that he hoped that he didn't see my daughter again - in the nicest possible sense!
I tend to agree with this practice but she was taking the piss slightly and should have got over behind the van driver. But then to keep going driving over every cone is just stupidly stubborn

I posted plenty here and after about this

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/smb-driving-experts.1353587/page-15#post-25279327

But I can't ignore the comment I highlighted. This is the vague Highway Code rule.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

The 3 cars from the right lane had already merged with 3 from the left lane, the 3rd car pulling over with 2 cars ahead of it before the Merge In Turn sign. Traffic was moving slowly and both Audi's then passed the car on the left they were trying to get in front of at the Merge In Turn sign position. This sign is the direction telling drivers to merge in turn from there and only if safe to do so. What we don't see is is there were any other signs previously warning of Merge In Turn etc. There's no getting away from the fact they were being twats by trying to get ahead a car or two. You may say they should be let in but what about the even bigger gap behind them in the right lane which will fill up with another 5 cars? Do you let them in also and just 3 from the left again?

Regardless, you certainly do not merge at the cones as you said as that creates a potential stop in traffic in either lane. That's because the cars in the left lane won't always let in a car from the right before them. You do it at or as soon after the sign and only if it's safe to do so (not barge in thinking you are next because you jumped a place at the sign like the 2 Audi's did due to a couple of cars merging ahead of them) as this helps keep the traffic flowing through the cones and before a lane is affected by cones causing a restriction or unnecessary stationary traffic.

I posted plenty here and after about this

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/smb-driving-experts.1353587/page-15#post-25279327

But I can't ignore the comment I highlighted. This is the vague Highway Code rule.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-hig...-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

Rule 134
You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

The 3 cars from the right lane had already merged with 3 from the left lane, the 3rd car pulling over with 2 cars ahead of it before the Merge In Turn sign. Traffic was moving slowly and both Audi's then passed the car on the left they were trying to get in front of at the Merge In Turn sign position. This sign is the direction telling drivers to merge in turn from there and only if safe to do so. What we don't see is is there were any other signs previously warning of Merge In Turn etc. There's no getting away from the fact they were being twats by trying to get ahead a car or two. You may say they should be let in but what about the even bigger gap behind them in the right lane which will fill up with another 5 cars? Do you let them in also and just 3 from the left again?

Regardless, you certainly do not merge at the cones as you said as that creates a potential stop in traffic in either lane. That's because the cars in the left lane won't always let in a car from the right before them. You do it at or as soon after the sign and only if it's safe to do so (not barge in thinking you are next because you jumped a place at the sign like the 2 Audi's did due to a couple of cars merging ahead of them) as this helps keep the traffic flowing through the cones and before a lane is affected by cones causing a restriction or unnecessary stationary traffic.
And...... Relax. :lol:

And...... Relax. :lol:
I'm chilled, I was just bored waiting for food to cook so I was just browsing SMB killing some time. I couldn't resist replying to the ignorance and wanker comments as the sign doesn't say Merge At Cones now does it? ;) :lol:

After having my car broken into I'd like some kind of permanent CCTV for it that can update remotely to the cloud and can run off the car's battery rather than its own.
It is possible but not easy or cheap and it would be hard to get the data uploaded as a good quality video so it would only be snapshots at best if on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm chilled, I was just bored waiting for food to cook so I was just browsing SMB killing some time. I couldn't resist replying to the ignorance and wanker comments as the sign doesn't say Merge At Cones now does it? ;) :lol:

It is possible but not easy or cheap and it would be hard to get the data uploaded as a good quality video so it would only be snapshots at best if on a budget.
The dashcam clip is near where i live and the que in the left lane stretches back ages at times. Most people ignore the "use both lanes when queuing" signs and create an even longer que in the left lane. Thick kernts, straight to the front for me to merge in turn.

There was only about 100 yards between the merge sign and the cones starting. You sound as though there was twenty miles!

There was only about 100 yards between the merge sign and the cones starting. You sound as though there was twenty miles!
You say it's was only about 100 yards and I'm making it sound like 20 miles? It's less than 100 feet so I don't know where you are getting that 100 yards from. If anything I'm saying the smaller the distance then the sooner people should merge at or after the sign so they don't bottleneck at the cones which would cause the traffic flow through the cones to be affected.

The sign was on the lamp post on the left after the bus stop and the cones started after 2 white lines or so after the railings ended on the right.

Overhead

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...87079,-1.4641017,90a,35y,45.02t/data=!3m1!1e3

Street View

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...4!1s5peEUWlrxwClUq_mhsugyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Funnily enough on Google Maps (in Chrome as not the same image for me in Firefox) there is a white van in the left lane where the sign is and a car in the right hand lane like the Audi was when passing. You can see there's not much road for them to merge and given 3 cars had already merged there obviously wasn't much room available in the left lane for a few seconds until traffic moved further along.

Logon or register to see this image

The 2 Audi drivers were self important twats, simple as that.

You say it's was only about 100 yards and I'm making it sound like 20 miles? It's less than 100 feet so I don't know where you are getting that 100 yards from. If anything I'm saying the smaller the distance then the sooner people should merge at or after the sign so they don't bottleneck at the cones which would cause the traffic flow through the cones to be affected.

The sign was on the lamp post on the left after the bus stop and the cones started after 2 white lines or so after the railings ended on the right.

Overhead

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/5...87079,-1.4641017,90a,35y,45.02t/data=!3m1!1e3

Street View

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...4!1s5peEUWlrxwClUq_mhsugyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Funnily enough on Google Maps (in Chrome as not the same image for me in Firefox) there is a white van in the left lane where the sign is and a car in the right hand lane like the Audi was when passing. You can see there's not much road for them to merge and given 3 cars had already merged there obviously wasn't much room available in the left lane for a few seconds until traffic moved further along.

Logon or register to see this image

The 2 Audi drivers were self important twats, simple as that.

Were you the dash cam driver?

Is there a dash cam that has its own internet connection via 4G and is hardwired?
You could hoy some hidden cams in the car getting various angles along with a hidden hard drive in the boot to record onto. Obviously if the car is nicked you won't get to see owt as it will be gone but in the case of your smashed window etc it may have recorded whoever did it. You know the ones I mean like the ones in bait cars :lol:

Were you the dash cam driver?
Nope and I guess your lame short reply is an admission of your earlier post saying "they show you being a wanker who doesn't understand the principles of merge in lane!" along with "meant to use both lanes up to the point where the cones are" was a little incorrect ;)

I do know that dash cam video can be misleading on distance etc so I'll give you the 100 yards though ;)

This Renault driver is a twat for blocking the Mercedes driver from doing something perfectly legal. Yet look at the results of the poll, only 17% agree with the Mercedes driver! No wonder the standard of driving on the roads is shite at times!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-driver-m58-causes-road-9084702

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back