Darts 2018

One of the best things about xmas is the Worlds. Anderson coming into this in good form and think he'll win it, MVGs finishing not been as good as his usual high standards lately. Going to have a couple of each way bets on Michael Smith (14/1) and Daryl Gurney (33/1). I think it'll be sooner rather than later that Smith finally wins a major. His game has improved loads over the last year or so, becoming a lot more consistent and can beat anyone on his day. Gurney seems to be coming back into form he showed earlier in the year just at the right time. Won the last major in the players championship and looks worth a go at the odds.

Bit disappointing really as doesn't really getting going until after Christmas, then again that was pretty much the same under the old system.

I think it's worse personally. There may be an upset / story here and there or someone unusual / flamboyant like that Chinese lad a few years ago beginning with Q, but I think i largely dilutes the product.

Last years fist round we had the likes of - Wade-Brown, Taylor-Dobie, Clayton-Lewis, Chisnall-VDV, Klaassen-Dekker etc. this year those on the right will be the favourite playing some random Indian, Chinese, Filipino player and apart from trying to crack new markets, it just doesn't add anything to the quality.

One of the best things about xmas is the Worlds. Anderson coming into this in good form and think he'll win it, MVGs finishing not been as good as his usual high standards lately. Going to have a couple of each way bets on Michael Smith (14/1) and Daryl Gurney (33/1). I think it'll be sooner rather than later that Smith finally wins a major. His game has improved loads over the last year or so, becoming a lot more consistent and can beat anyone on his day. Gurney seems to be coming back into form he showed earlier in the year just at the right time. Won the last major in the players championship and looks worth a go at the odds.

I like the look of Smith each way too, especially as in the other side of the draw to Van Gerwen and Anderson.

Will be extremely difficult for Gurney even though playing well, if goes to seedings he would have to play Anderson in the quarters, Van Gerwen in the semis and then the final, but guess that's why he is 33/1.

My bets will be a Anderson win and Smith each way.

Last edited:
I like the look of Smith each way too, especially as in the other side of the draw to Van Gerwen and Anderson.

Will be extremely difficult for Gurney even though playing well, if goes to seedings he would have to play Anderson in the quarters, Van Gerwen in the semis and then the final, but guess that's why he is 33/1.

My bets will be a Anderson win and Smith each way.
I thought Gurney was too big a price. Didn’t look into his draw properly.

Don’t feel MvG will win here.

Hopp, Lewis/Barney, Wade, Anderson to get the to final is tough as it gets. He’s not played that well this year either.

Reckon Gerwen Price could make the final you know.

Anyone got a link for the draw tree? Only seen the 4 groups and it's difficult to work out potential matches from the 4 groups.

Don’t feel MvG will win here.

Hopp, Lewis/Barney, Wade, Anderson to get the to final is tough as it gets. He’s not played that well this year either.

Reckon Gerwen Price could make the final you know.

Hope he does and Anderson beats him 7 0!

The comedy panto version of the game is just the starter before the official BDO championship kicks off in January.

What side is that on?

Thursday 13th December (7pm)
Jeffrey de Zwaan v Nitin Kumar (R1)
Martin Schindler v Cody Harris (R1)
Jan Dekker v Lisa Ashton (R1)
Rob Cross v De Zwaan/Kumar (R2)

Friday 14th December
Afternoon Session (12.30pm)

Michael Barnard v Jose De Sousa (R1)
Alan Tabern v Raymond Smith (R1)
Paul Nicholson v Kevin Burness (R1)
Jamie Lewis v Schindler/Harris (R2)

Evening Session (7pm)
Danny Noppert v Royden Lam (R1)
Simon Stevenson v Ted Evetts (R1)
Chris Dobey v Boris Koltsov (R1)
Gary Anderson v Nicholson/Burness (R2)

Saturday 15th December

Richard North v Robert Marijanovic (R1)
Mickey Mansell v Jim Long (R1)
Josh Payne v Jeff Smith (R1)
Max Hopp v Noppert/Lam (R2)

There's the schedule for the first 4 sessions. They've obviously rolled out a couple of big name 2nd rounders in Anderson and Cross to headline the 2 evening session slots, but it's generally not must see stuff.

Obviously with a far bigger field they have to make the space somehow, but I think this is the first time in as long as I can remember that there has been an afternoon session before Christmas Eve, may be wrong. I can't see many folks being off work at 12.30pm on Friday 14th December.

Last edited:
Thursday 13th December (7pm)
Jeffrey de Zwaan v Nitin Kumar (R1)
Martin Schindler v Cody Harris (R1)
Jan Dekker v Lisa Ashton (R1)
Rob Cross v De Zwaan/Kumar (R2)

Friday 14th December

Michael Barnard v Jose De Sousa (R1)
Alan Tabern v Raymond Smith (R1)
Paul Nicholson v Kevin Burness (R1)
Jamie Lewis v Schindler/Harris (R2)

Evening Session (7pm)
Danny Noppert v Royden Lam (R1)
Simon Stevenson v Ted Evetts (R1)
Chris Dobey v Boris Koltsov (R1)
Gary Anderson v Nicholson/Burness (R2)

Saturday 15th December

Richard North v Robert Marijanovic (R1)
Mickey Mansell v Jim Long (R1)
Josh Payne v Jeff Smith (R1)
Max Hopp v Noppert/Lam (R2)

There's the schedule for the first 4 sessions. They've obviously rolled out a couple of big name 2nd rounders in Anderson and Cross to headline the 2 evening session slots, but it's generally not must see stuff.

Obviously with a far bigger field they have to make the space somehow, but I think this is the first time in as long as I can remember that there has been an afternoon session before Christmas Eve, may be wrong. I can't see many folks being off work at 12.30pm on Friday 14th December.
As per usual.
Love these write ups. Keep up the good work.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts & opinions throughout the World Chanpionships.

Just stuck a tenner on Smith at 14/1. Think he's got as good a chance as any to make the final in the bottom half and if he does, hopefully the big two will get knocked out along the way in the top half.

Like you theory mate with the first part , but the second part can’t see it happening, will be amazed if either Van Gerwen or Anderson doesn’t make the final from that half of the draw!

If they do get knocked out what have to happen early imo, as longer format in the worlds as it goes deeper in the tournament means upsets more unlikely imo.

Last edited:

Back