Darren Williams

Not a brilliant footballer, great attitude though. Cupping the ears celebration at 'Boro was class .

Exactly this, heard a story while he was at York as a kid, they had better players in the youth squad there but when the others were off down the arcades or whatever after training he'd still be at the training ground doing sit ups, practicing with a ball on his own etc. He made it to the top flight despite not being massively gifted. Numerous kids (and numerous 1st team players) could learn a huge amount from him.

Always struck me as honest as the day is long. Never the most talented of footballers but 100 % committed to the cause. You always knew he'd do his best and when you think of some of the ones we've had earning megabucks and not even half-arsed you realise he was one of us.
Yeah, one of us was Darren.

Exactly this, heard a story while he was at York as a kid, they had better players in the youth squad there but when the others were off down the arcades or whatever after training he'd still be at the training ground doing sit ups, practicing with a ball on his own etc. He made it to the top flight despite not being massively gifted. Numerous kids (and numerous 1st team players) could learn a huge amount from him.

Billy no mates, he just wasn't invited down the arcades :lol:

Ultimate respect for Darren Williams played with his heart on his sleeve not like these fellas we’ve had to put up with the last 10 years

He was strange in that his technical ability seemed to get worse as he got older.

He started in midfield, spent a lot of time at centre back and right back and seemed comfortable on the ball. Was capped for England B at CB iirc. He was never quick but as he aged he ended up very slow and seemed to lose his touch as well. By the end of his time with us he was very limited and got a bit of grief which was sad cos he was a good servant.

I remember boro away, before they had the corner in the ground, and the plastic covering thing getting smashed to bits in the 1 nil win

Nowt interesting, just wondering what people used to think of him? I remember him as a decent enough lad, not always first choice (at times then our team was amazing) but always seemed to fill in competently.

He used to get dogs abuse where I used to be sat though, so have always had the impression he was really disliked by the majority. Not seen any of that reminisced about here mind.

Thing is I was only about 10 when he joined, I don't really remember properly.

So; good, medium or shit. What was the reality?

Tell him I liked him

Back