Darren Williams

Got a lot of stick from memory. Decent Championship player, never really an adequate PL player. Great winner v Middlesbrough though.

I like him, seems a decent bloke who always speaks well of us.

Great servant with a fantastic attitude.
Daz is a mate of mine. Great lad who loves SAFC.

I once sent a tweet out advertising a charity game for a mate who was battling cancer and tagged him & a few other ex SAFC players/staff in. He was the only one to retweet and sent me a message saying he hoped it went well.

Just a small thing but i’ve never forgotten it.

Did a good job filling in at various positions,had a great attitude and never gave less than 100%.
A few players like him would be very welcome at the club at this point in time.

Worked hard, never had anything against him...always remember when we couldn't find West Aucklands ground for a pre-season friendly and he pulled up beside us and said "You couldnt tell me where the ground is could you" ha ha

Didn't he man mark viera or Bergkamp or some **** off the field on his debut straight from York for 50k??
he was excellent at man marking, I think he was so good at it he got a couple of people so wound up they ended up getting sent off. (arsenal and boro away possibly)

watched the highlights of the relegation game at Wimbledon recently and I was surprised how well he played.

Decent enough utility player sort of middling between Championship and Premiership level. Was obviously involved in one or two cock-ups with Perez which obviously cast doubts over his reliability but gave what he had to the cause and served Reid well over the years. Racked up 200 appearances during some of the best years following Sunderland so a good, solid servant to the club. Can't remember anybody disliking the lad.

Just near some bell-ends for a few years at the SoL I think. Mainly remember one dad egging his incredibly high-pitched lad on while it just whined relentlessly.

Roker end for Quinn. It was only those few games before he got injured early on but he did seem shite and I don't think it was just our section being a bit off with him looking back.

Shame we only got early-Craddock, he'd be a legend now if we'd kept him.
I can remember a few fans in the Fulwell end making donkey noises at Quinny when things werent going for him when he first came.

Williams was a decent player in my opinion, and I wish we had a few players like him now.

Back