Darren Williams

Nowt interesting, just wondering what people used to think of him? I remember him as a decent enough lad, not always first choice (at times then our team was amazing) but always seemed to fill in competently.

He used to get dogs abuse where I used to be sat though, so have always had the impression he was really disliked by the majority. Not seen any of that reminisced about here mind.

Thing is I was only about 10 when he joined, I don't really remember properly.

So; good, medium or shit. What was the reality?

was never the best but he tried. could never fault him

Was he that generation's Seb?

Truthfully, I thought he was average. He fathomed a good relationship with Craddock at centre half but they hit a rough patch around Easter time leading up to the play off final. We dropped a few points around that time which would have seen us promoted automatically had we won some very winnable games (well that's obvious I suppose).

They seemed to capitulate and Williams looked very nervous at the back at times. He was signed as a midfielder, but was simply not good enough.

Seemed like a good lad, a steady enough championship player, but certaintly not good enough for the Premier League. It's all about opinions though.

Had a chat with him after the viera sending off, just to confirm if he had actually hit Williams. He confirmed he did, with a smile and a wink mind

Nowt interesting, just wondering what people used to think of him? I remember him as a decent enough lad, not always first choice (at times then our team was amazing) but always seemed to fill in competently.

He used to get dogs abuse where I used to be sat though, so have always had the impression he was really disliked by the majority. Not seen any of that reminisced about here mind.

Thing is I was only about 10 when he joined, I don't really remember properly.

So; good, medium or shit. What was the reality?

Solid if unspectacular is probably how i would describe him.

He is going to be the guest of honour at the North American Supports AGM in August. Looking forward to meeting up with him.

Truthfully, I thought he was average. He fathomed a good relationship with Craddock at centre half but they hit a rough patch around Easter Time leading up to the play off final. We dropped a few points around that time which would have seen us promoted automatically had we won some very winnable games (well that's obvious I suppose).

They seemed to capitulate and Williams looked very nervous at the back at times. He was signed as a midfielder, but was simply not good enough.

Seemed like a good lad, a steady enough championship player, but certaintly not good enough for the Premier League. It's all about opinions though.
Reid learned his lesson and brought butler in to boot the likes of mendonca all over. Always felt the Williams and craddock as a pair were to soft, when we needed to cripple someone out of the game, especially in the final

Was your seat in the away end?
Just near some bell-ends for a few years at the SoL I think. Mainly remember one dad egging his incredibly high-pitched lad on while it just whined relentlessly.

Roker end for Quinn. It was only those few games before he got injured early on but he did seem shite and I don't think it was just our section being a bit off with him looking back.

Reid learned his lesson and brought butler in to boot the likes of mendonca all over. Always felt the Williams and craddock as a pair were to soft, when we needed to cripple someone out of the game, especially in the final
Shame we only got early-Craddock, he'd be a legend now if we'd kept him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lacked the ability to play midfield the pace to play right back and the height to play centre back but did a good job when called upon in all 3 positions and I've seen much worse performances from current squad members filling those positions than he ever gave in any of them.
Cracking lad off the field. Used to go and watch them train at the Charlie Hurley when i was up in the school holidays. He was one of the few who always went out of their way to come say hello.
Incidentally got talking to our very own Tony Coton at an awards do in Tamworth about 10 years ago and he said that ressie team he managed that won the premier reserve title and Williams captained were the best group of lads he had ever worked with in football.

Truthfully, I thought he was average. He fathomed a good relationship with Craddock at centre half but they hit a rough patch around Easter time leading up to the play off final. We dropped a few points around that time which would have seen us promoted automatically had we won some very winnable games (well that's obvious I suppose).
Cheers, that season's nearly lost to the sands of time for me. I remember we'd been doing so well, so to come third was galling. Mostly I remember Wembly. I told God I'd give him a consideration if Gray scored; ruled Him out there and then.

Always thought Nottingham must be full of twats since then as they put some banner shanning us over the M1.

Incidentally got talking to our very own Tony Coton at an awards do in Tamworth about 10 years ago and he said that ressie team he managed that won the premier reserve title and Williams captained were the best group of lads he had ever worked with in football.
BHH?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great servant and bargain for £50k, pity we didn't have 11 Darren Williams' last season.

Aye he had his limitations, but he was a decent player and never really got the credit he deserved.

Didn't he man mark viera or Bergkamp or some **** off the field on his debut straight from York for 50k??

Can’t remember if it was his first game but remember the game and was Bergkamp. I think Bergkamp got sent off that day for stamping on Bracewell? Could be my mind playing tricks on me. Was only a youngun.

Back