BBC Darren Bent's beach ball goal 10 years on - five things you may not know

I was in the south west corner that day and had no idea about the beach ball until on the way home I thought it had deflected off a defender, carragher iirc

At the time and looking at the replays now I still maintain the deflection was from the defenders foot and only he made contact with the beachball, sure the confusion caused the goal, but I do not feel the ball struck the beachball, and the relative weights and angle of deflection would seem to agree with me.

ps the ref was demoted, big headline news - aye for one game.
pps the beachball in the museum cannot be the original, and is just 'one like it'.

Last edited:
At the time and looking at the replays now I still maintain the deflection was from the defenders foot and only he made contact with the beachball, sure the confusion caused the goal, but I do not feel the ball struck the beachball, and the relative weights and angle of deflection would seem to agree with me.

ps the ref was demoted, big headline news - aye for one game.
pps the beachball in the museum cannot be the original, and is just 'one like it'.
I agree that the slight deflection was from Johnson’s foot. But the ball hit the beachball, although that didn’t deflect the shot. Reina instinctively started to follow the trajectory of the beachball, not the football - only for an instant but that was enough to wrong-foot him and leave him stranded.
But that’s not as entertaining a story for the fukin media to cack on about for ages.

Back