Darren Bent - a retrospective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawes, that's the point. Something else has gone on.
With Clarky he did something stupid (and Ball used it as an excuse to get him shipped, although at the time it was a pretty good excuse) but I just can't agree that the OP (and the world and his dog) is ready to treat Bent in this way without knowing the facts. People are putting 2 and 2 and getting 5. Moving to a bigger club....possibly, but not in recent times. better service...hardly. better fans...no more of the same I'd suggest. No-one but Bent knows why he has moved and perhaps he doesn't really know himself.
If money was involved, we have to ask ourselves if we did offer to improve his contract, but again, we DON'T know.
Booing a player who used to play for Sunderland is a very poor effort. Do it if you have to, but I won't be.
Kneejerks are us! If we really hate the guy, the best way (IMHO) is to ignore him (my posts excluded of course!)

Booing the fuck out of him, and I mean with pure vitriol will affect his game. He was like a rabbit in the headlights at WHL last season.

He has made his bed and he must lie in it. He is going to be a very rich man, but then he already is. What will he do with his extra £30K a week?

He did not deserve a pay rise after 12-15 months at the club. He was paid very well to do what he was meant to do when he arrived.

We know enough facts to make a judgement. He lied his way through a press conference yesterday, it was etched all over his face.

He has joined a club going nowhere fast. He is under huge pressure to deliver. And not just during his inevitable honeymoon period(great bet for the first goal on Saturday I would say). The real test comes when the dust settles.

Excellent from the OP.

I think the worse part of this is that its the first time we've really been caught up in a badge-kissing-I-Love-This-Club pisstake.

Usually we don't have top-level players, and we were so happy to hear the words that we didn't even contemplate that it was standard premiership bollocks.

Its our fault for being naive, but it made it all the worse that it was such a shock to most of us.

Excellent from the OP.

I think the worse part of this is that its the first time we've really been caught up in a badge-kissing-I-Love-This-Club pisstake.

Usually we don't have top-level players, and we were so happy to hear the words that we didn't even contemplate that it was standard premiership bollocks.

Its our fault for being naive, but it made it all the worse that it was such a shock to most of us.

A shock and a massive insult.

Great post mate, I agree with everything you have to say.
He will be getting booed by me next year, providing I can find the funds to renew.

It makes you feel like you need a shower doesn't it, after what he's done?

Forgot about this but Bent had three 50/50's with Harper at not once did the gutless bastard dive in for the ball we all know why no. He is a disgrace and anything that gets thrown at him he deserves the next time we meet the greedy prick

An excellent post by the OP, one of the best I have seen.

But is the Bent situation not typical of professional footballers per se.

They come to a new club full of promises of love and loyalty, pledging their service for yeays to come.

in the short term players like Bent perform exceptionally well, and immediately become heroes.

Then along comes the moneyman and the loyalty is gone.

They are such mercenary bastards its unbelievable.

I welcome next seasons game at home to Villa, assuming they stay up, because I think we will witness a reception for Bent unprecedented in premiership history and thoroughly deserved.:evil:

Forgot about this but Bent had three 50/50's with Harper at not once did the gutless bastard dive in for the ball we all know why no. He is a disgrace and anything that gets thrown at him he deserves the next time we meet the greedy prick

Good point that. I remember discussing that at the time.

Absolutely disgusting piece of shit. £50,000 a week he was getting from us and he wasn't even trying on Sunday.

Well, I've been round the block a few times but he took me in.

I've seen Stan Anderson, Neil Martin, Jim Baxter, Marco and SKP leave the club so the gut feeling is not new.

He says to remember him for the goals he scored for us but every single one was scored for himself.

Yet he kissed the badge......

He has clearly used us for one reason, to get himself into the spotlight for the WC and when that passed we were of no further use, and it showed.

We won't get fooled again?

Well, there's no fool like an old fool.

Narcissistic personality disorder with a sprinkling of Messiah Complex.

When he was eclipsed by Gyan and Welbeck, and the club had the temerity to refuse his perfectly reasonable request for a massive pay rise, he came to believe that The People were losing faith in him. He wasn't The Messiah, he was a naughty boy. This conflicted with his world view and was unacceptabe to his ego.

And so he ran away to be The One somewhere else.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back