Darlington man gets five years for running woman over at pedestrian crossing

The sentence seems light but I never get the driving ban aspect of these things.

Once you cross a certain line that should be it, you should never drive again.

Got to be 1000s of people driving without a licence in this country ,its no deterrent

It's unlikely, I admit, but this will just limit his ability to contribute even more in future.
You seem to be a bit squewiff with your logic here .I Remember a judge fining me when I was 18 for riding my bike down a bus lane ,when I said how much my £25 a week wages went on various things (all essential) he said "tough" .By your "lost economy" method no one would be locked up

Last edited:
Got to be 1000s of people driving without a licence in this country ,its no deterrent
I genuinely don't know how you stop someone from driving if they're inclined to do so.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read of someone caught driving without a license, insurance, tax or MOT, who is then given an 18-month ban from driving. It's not going to stop them - they didn't give a f@@k before they were caught and they're not going to give a f@@k afterwards.

There's a certain mindset involved that just doesn't give a toss about other road-users and giving them meaningless bans isn't going to change it.

I saw two young 'uns in a clapped-out Golf driving past the Passport Office in Durham, heading the wrong way down a one-way street. One of them got out to go to the Passport Office and I told him to tell his mate he might get done as there's CCTV in the area. His reply was that his mate didn't give a f@@k as it wasn't even his car in the first place!

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure out the insurance status of that young driver.

Last edited:
My parents bought a house off a couple whose son knocked down a bloke and killed him.

Got his licence back when he whined that he needed it for a job. Tough shit, why should someone who hasn't done nowt wrong miss out on a job for him?

My parents bought a house off a couple whose son knocked down a bloke and killed him.

Got his licence back when he whined that he needed it for a job. Tough shit, why should someone who hasn't done nowt wrong miss out on a job for him?

He’s served his time. That time was doubtless nowhere near enough but until we get out of this cycle of punishing offenders there entire lives we can’t expect them to become productive members of society who don’t re-offend.

He’s served his time. That time was doubtless nowhere near enough but until we get out of this cycle of punishing offenders there entire lives we can’t expect them to become productive members of society who don’t re-offend.

Yet if a professional registrant is struck off by their professional body - doctor, pharmacist, whatever - they can't practice again. If you commit certain criminal offences it's vanishingly unlikely you would ever be admitted to a degree in teaching or nursing. If you are a sex offender on the register for life, there are all kinds of things you cannot do. There are lots of restrictions on people's ability to work due to criminal records - don't see why driving should be any different. They just have to look for jobs that they can do.

Rehabilitation into society from convictions like that doesn't just have to mean that you can do anything and everything as if you'd never offended.

Back