Darlington man gets five years for running woman over at pedestrian crossing

Given the reliance on the car in this country, absolutely.

If my car vanished tomorrow, I'd manage to get into the office, but I would be at the mercy of the buses. My commute times to anywhere other than the office would double or triple.

Aye, but you'd still cope. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you nearly kill someone like the person in the OP you should lose that privilege.

If my car vanished tomorrow, I'd manage to get into the office, but I would be at the mercy of the buses. My commute times to anywhere other than the office would double or triple.
You haven't killed anyone by speeding, being off your tits on methadone and not wearing your glasses. Fuck him. He'll probably be jobless for life now anyway.

Presumbably you haven't killed a kid while off your tits though.

Driving is a privilege, not a necessity.

Aye, but you'd still cope. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you nearly kill someone like the person in the OP you should lose that privilege.

You haven't killed anyone by speeding, being off your tits on methadone and not wearing your glasses. Fuck him. He'll probably be jobless for life now anyway.

I'm not thinking of him as a person, but as an economic unit/statistic. If we are to rehabilitate people we need to allow them to take part in activities considered essential for working/living, IMO. I'm not arsed about him as a person, but if he's prevented from driving, it limits his earning potential and thus his contribution to the wider economy.

He did kill someone. He killed a woman and nearly killed her son.

My reasoning for allowing him back behind the wheel is above. However I think his sentence should be longer than it is.

Presumbably you haven't killed a kid while off your tits though.

Driving is a privilege, not a necessity.

Please see above.

I'm not thinking of him as a person, but as an economic unit/statistic. If we are to rehabilitate people we need to allow them to take part in activities considered essential for working/living, IMO. I'm not arsed about him as a person, but if he's prevented from driving, it limits his earning potential and thus his contribution to the wider economy.

My reasoning for allowing him back behind the wheel is above. However I think his sentence should be longer than it is.

Please see above.
Doesn't seem like he'll be a contributor tbf

Saw the aftermath of that with the paramedics trying to save the poor lasses life. It’s a ring road and like a race track round there. Always drunks stepping out into the road on a night too. Horrible bit of road.

Please see above.

Can't see it like that, I don't drive and really don't see it as anything but occasionally inconvenient.

Do something like this and I think it should be over forever, there's other people to think about other than him.

That made me really angry when I first read it. Knocks down a ten year old kid and leaves her lying in the road, driving with no insurance and in a car without properly working breaks while disqualified because she's on a ban for...previously driving when disqualified. And gets an 18 month sentence, suspended for two years. Sorry you disgusting piece of shit, you had your chance at rehabilitation when you got your first ban, should be off to prison with you now.

Amazing what you can get away with if you do it with a car.

Can't see it like that, I don't drive and really don't see it as anything but occasionally inconvenient.

Do something like this and I think it should be over forever, there's other people to think about other than him.

I'm not thinking of him as a 'person' though, literally just a bag of flesh that either can or can not contribute to the economy, but I understand what you're saying, absolutely.

A permanent ban makes it nigh-on impossible for someone to be rehabilitated after the crime though.

There's loads of people who can't drive, because they have a disability, have epilepsy and fit just often enough not to be allowed to drive, have never bothered to learn. Something like a quarter of all adults don't drive.

They seem to manage. Maybe the fucker would just have to learn to get up earlier to get to work.

That made me really angry when I first read it. Knocks down a ten year old kid and leaves her lying in the road, driving with no insurance and in a car without properly working breaks while disqualified because she's on a ban for...previously driving when disqualified. And gets an 18 month sentence, suspended for two years. Sorry you disgusting piece of shit, you had your chance at rehabilitation when you got your first ban, should be off to prison with you now.

Amazing what you can get away with if you do it with a car.

That's incomprehensible, she should be doing 5 years and banned from ever driving again. What a disgusting c_unt of a human being

Back