Dan Gosling

I’m a ref and I can remember on one occasion I was getting grief from a sub, he eventually came on and started again, I gently pointed out that he needed to have a look at himself as he couldn’t even get into a team that was well adrift at the bottom of the league. Not another word out of him, sometimes a few words are much better than a card.

He's acted exactly how they're told not to. It's very simple he, despite provocation, shouldn't be talking to players like that.
You say that but he’s not facing any further action which shows absolute common sense from his bosses.
It’s very simple. Players don’t act like dicks then the refs have no reason to have a go back then either.
Players to need to look at themselves and their conduct before whining on.

You say that but he’s not facing any further action which shows absolute common sense from his bosses.
It’s very simple. Players don’t act like dicks then the refs have no reason to have a go back then either.
Players to need to look at themselves and their conduct before whining on.
Its simple he shouldn't have done it provoked or not. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Its simple he shouldn't have done it provoked or not. Two wrongs don't make a right.
Well his bosses thankfully seem ok with it which I think is great.
Hopefully Gosling is getting a right lashing in training off his team mates the git f***ing wet wipe.

Well his bosses thankfully seem ok with it which I think is great.
Hopefully Gosling is getting a right lashing in training off his team mates the git f***ing wet wipe.
As do the bosses of the players seemingly. Are you OK with them doing it to refs? Refs are told not to do it, even at the lowest level of refereeing.

As do the bosses of the players seemingly. Are you OK with them doing it to refs? Refs are told not to do it, even at the lowest level of refereeing.
Bosses of the players aren’t in charge of the games. Refs are.
Managers are massive hypocrites as well as they prove on a weekly basis.
It’s called common sense, something which is sadly missing in the game these days. A little bit of the human element. Players from yesteryear regularly mention that refs would say similar things to them. It seems now though that this precious little soul can’t handle it.
It certainly happens in cricket. I’ve looked aggrieved at a decision not going my way walking past umpire shaking my head to be met with a “concentrate on not bowling half trackers son I’ll do the umpiring”. No issue at all.
Refs in rugby just tell the players to be quiet, don’t entertain them.
A ref on this thread has mentioned how he made a little comment as well to a twisty player.
Only people who’d have a problem are wailing minges to be honest.

It’s called common sense, something which is sadly missing in the game these days. A little bit of the human element. Players from yesteryear regularly mention that refs would say similar things to them. It seems now though that this precious little soul can’t handle it.
It certainly happens in cricket. I’ve looked aggrieved at a decision not going my way walking past umpire shaking my head to be met with a “concentrate on not bowling half trackers son I’ll do the umpiring”. No issue at all.
A ref on this thread has mentioned how he made a little comment as well to a twisty player.
I'm a fully qualified referee and I wouldn't even dream of having a go at a player about his league position or performance. Waffle all you like it's just not right. This coming from me who referees very little these days because some players and coaches are utter bellends.

Bet the not bowling half trackers bit was hard for you

I'm a fully qualified referee and I wouldn't even dream of having a go at a player about his league position or performance. Waffle all you like it's just not right. This coming from me who referees very little these days because some players and coaches are utter bellends.
It’s not right plsyers getting in refs faces either week after week so they’re the perpetrators not the refs.I’ve no problem with refs giving some back and it seems his bosses have shown common sense as well, something sadly missing in today’s game.
Bet the not bowling half trackers bit was hard for you
When I had a bit more zip it wasn’t ended of world. It was the floaty half volleys in my later years that were an issue :lol:

Last edited:
It’s not right plsyers getting in refs faces either week after week so they’re the perpetrators not the refs.I’ve no problem with refs giving some back and it seems his bosses have shown common sense as well, something sadly missing in today’s game.
I've never once said it is. Common sense from a refs perspective is to get on with game and don't be dragged down to being exactly what they don't want to happen to them.

As I've said before 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I've never once said it is. Common sense from a refs perspective is to get on with game and don't be dragged down to being exactly what they don't want to happen to them.

As I've said before 2 wrongs don't make a right.
If this was a one off incident where a player let his mouth go and the ref nibbled back I’d agree with you but it’s every game every week.
It’s a non issue but because some little fanny has went crying to press its become one.
If someone has a go at you in any walk of life should you just turn the other cheek because two wrongs don’t make a right? I don’t think so.
Don’t act like a dick in first place then you should be fine.

If this was a one off incident where a player let his mouth go and the ref nibbled back I’d agree with you but it’s every game every week.
It’s a non issue but because some little fanny has went crying to press its become one.
If someone has a go at you in any walk of life should you just turn the other cheek because two wrongs don’t make a right? I don’t think so.
Don’t act like a dick in first place then you should be fine.
Deal with it with the power you have as a ref. Don't be be dragged down to a level that refs want out of the game. It's just plain stupid to engage in 'banter' that questions perfromance. Whether it's one off or every week is irrelevant

Deal with it with the power you have as a ref. Don't be be dragged down to a level that refs want out of the game. It's just plain stupid to engage in 'banter' that questions perfromance. Whether it's one off or every week is irrelevant
Personally I think it’s good to see a human side to refs.
Wether the refs want it out the game or not it isn’t going out the game it’s that simple.
If players are going to persist with their behaviour then don’t be surprised if a ref goes back at them.

Personally I think it’s good to see a human side to refs.
Wether the refs want it out the game or not it isn’t going out the game it’s that simple.
If players are going to persist with their behaviour then don’t be surprised if a ref goes back at them.
They can have a human side without lowering themselves to the behaviour they don't like. The ref should deal with them appropriately and not be dragged down.

Back