Dan Anderson aka DA NDOYT

Cracking effort. Heard that people were coming in to checkpoints with their drinks bottles frozen.
There’s some arguments going on about letting the event go ahead. 30 people were treated for hypothermia and the Mountian Rescue were called out and said the conditions were terrible. The runners seem to be saying they were fine, and the organisers said they all had survival kits, but it does seem a bit negligent to me. What if someone died?

There’s some arguments going on about letting the event go ahead. 30 people were treated for hypothermia and the Mountian Rescue were called out and said the conditions were terrible. The runners seem to be saying they were fine, and the organisers said they all had survival kits, but it does seem a bit negligent to me. What if someone died?

Yeah. UK Athletics issued an advisory yesterday morning that events should be cancelled & the organisers ignored it. I was due to run a 10 miler at Thirsk this morning & that was cancelled even though conditions had improved & the roads had been checked. Same with the 10 & 20 milers at Locke Park in Redcar. I suspect some serious questions are going to be asked of the Hardmoors organisers.

I've done a triathlon with him, IIRC he just turned up on the day with a mutual friend, he had never done one before nor trained for one. As he was an on the day entrant they couldn't start him like everyone else in predicted swim time order so he got put in with the top boys, some of whom have been in national standard events and if memory serves me right one of if not the fastest triathlete in the British fire service. He put in a very good effort indeed.
Not sure about now but he used to be very active with a sunderland running club.

Still active with running club and cracking endurance racer both in running and in triathlon (done iron man or two).

Still a solid lad but finds the balance between racing and having a life......He is a really talented athlete and if he ever took it seriously in terms of diet/training etc he would be a very very good athlete.

It wasnt negligent, the race organisers work with the Mountain rescue teams, the racers all raise a fortune for the mountain rescue teams through out the year and the MRT themselves are running in a similar event next weekend....Private medical teams and ambulances are hired for the events and runners have a stupid amount of mountain quality kit which they are forced to wear/carry......The 30 with mild hypothermia were in no danger, they all had survival bags incase of issues and every runner also had an electronic tracker on so that they could be pinpointed to within 10 meters at all times....There were literally hundreds of people monitering their progress on public links and if anyone went off course or were still for any period of time it was flagged up.

The race company has been going for 10 years, it has organised literally hundreds of events in every kind of weather known to man and this is the first time an MRT has ever had to be involved...Not that it was a problem as their coverage was pre arranged as it always is during these events.

Yeah. UK Athletics issued an advisory yesterday morning that events should be cancelled & the organisers ignored it. I was due to run a 10 miler at Thirsk this morning & that was cancelled even though conditions had improved & the roads had been checked. Same with the 10 & 20 milers at Locke Park in Redcar. I suspect some serious questions are going to be asked of the Hardmoors organisers.

Nonsense, it is an advisory notice and the Hardmoors races are winter trail races that are massively experienced in this stuff...The weather yesterday has been seen many times in these races, its really not a big deal and it was all dealt with swiftly and without fuss using the race planning that goes on for every race. The "rescue" was actually the transportation of 30 runners from Kildale village hall to Guisebrough via 4x4s (some of which were MRT others by race supporters and martials)

There wont be any questions asked of the Hardmoors team, even the Cleveland MRT said

"From a Rescue Team point of view we never criticise people for been out on the Moors enjoying themselves. Its what we do ourselves. These runners are some of the fittest athletes that you will find on the planet...the weather closed in worse than was expected and we were happy to help out."

and

"Comment from Carl Faulkner, Cleveland Team Leader, "The events last night show how important it is to be prepared when you head out into the hills or on the Moors; because each Hardmoors competitor was well equipped- with appropriate winter clothing and knew how to read a map and use a compass, they were able to keep moving until they reached a place of safety. Whilst the team helped move around 80 competitors last night their resilience and determination was outstanding, and they can all come back and compete next year... hopefully when the sun is shining".

Please dont sensationalise stuff, at no point was anybody at any risk.

Last edited:
Still active with running club and cracking endurance racer both in running and in triathlon (done iron man or two).

Still a solid lad but finds the balance between racing and having a life......He is a really talented athlete and if he ever took it seriously in terms of diet/training etc he would be a very very good athlete.

It wasnt negligent, the race organisers work with the Mountain rescue teams, the racers all raise a fortune for the mountain rescue teams through out the year and the MRT themselves are running in a similar event next weekend....Private medical teams and ambulances are hired for the events and runners have a stupid amount of mountain quality kit which they are forced to wear/carry......The 30 with mild hypothermia were in no danger, they all had survival bags incase of issues and every runner also had an electronic tracker on so that they could be pinpointed to within 10 meters at all times....There were literally hundreds of people monitering their progress on public links and if anyone went off course or were still for any period of time it was flagged up.

The race company has been going for 10 years, it has organised literally hundreds of events in every kind of weather known to man and this is the first time an MRT has ever had to be involved...Not that it was a problem as their coverage was pre arranged as it always is during these events.

Nonsense, it is an advisory notice and the Hardmoors races are winter trail races that are massively experienced in this stuff...The weather yesterday has been seen many times in these races, its really not a big deal and it was all dealt with swiftly and without fuss using the race planning that goes on for every race. The "rescue" was actually the transportation of 30 runners from Kildale village hall to Guisebrough via 4x4s (some of which were MRT others by race supporters and martials)

There wont be any questions asked of the Hardmoors team, even the Cleveland MRT said

"From a Rescue Team point of view we never criticise people for been out on the Moors enjoying themselves. Its what we do ourselves. These runners are some of the fittest athletes that you will find on the planet...the weather closed in worse than was expected and we were happy to help out."

and

"Comment from Carl Faulkner, Cleveland Team Leader, "The events last night show how important it is to be prepared when you head out into the hills or on the Moors; because each Hardmoors competitor was well equipped- with appropriate winter clothing and knew how to read a map and use a compass, they were able to keep moving until they reached a place of safety. Whilst the team helped move around 80 competitors last night their resilience and determination was outstanding, and they can all come back and compete next year... hopefully when the sun is shining".

Please dont sensationalise stuff, at no point was anybody at any risk.
I know from my mate doing in previous years that it's very well organised. I've tracked him myself when he's been doing it and I never got off my settee.
Assume he didn't do it this year as he was out for an 'easy' 21 mile run this morning.

I know from my mate doing in previous years that it's very well organised. I've tracked him myself when he's been doing it and I never got off my settee.
Assume he didn't do it this year as he was out for an 'easy' 21 mile run this morning.

Done the Hardmoors Grandslam in the past, they are epic races and the race director is an ex para and a complete legend (personal friend too). There is literally nothing left to chance in any race like this....All that happened yesterday is that a very well planned "emergency" plan was put into action. It is the first time in 10 years of racing (well over 100 races) that it has ever been required and it was a seriously slick operation to ensure everyone was safe.

Did the Hardmoors 55 couple of years back and it's very well organised with kit checks, plenty of volunteers and this year trackers.
Route is off road Helmsley to Guisborough on the Cleveland Way.
I've seen videos from the weekend and Wainstones, Bloworth Crossing etc looked complete whiteout.
Race got stopped in the end so a canny few ran 45 miles+ but no medal, tshirt. Bummer.

While we’re all moaning and crying about the weather, our man Dan (DA) ran 55 miles over the moors today. Let that sink in.

Danno you are a legend
Thanks Herman, the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

Well done. I seem to recall him being a bit of a porker.
I am. I weigh 16 stone 9. I think I've won the 'shire' category for being the quickest finisher who weighs more than 14 stone.

If its not on Strava.......

Edit. Seriously though, nee idea about any of this, but thats impressive in wellies.
Check out my run on Strava: Strava Runner Profile | Dan A.

The distance is a bit iffy, my watch added distance on whilst i was inside the checkpoints.

which moors mate? out of interest
North Yorkshire, followed the Cleveland way from Helmsley to Guisborough.

More info please.
Hardmoors 55 – Hardmoors Race Series

I finished in 11 hours 28.

I've done a triathlon with him, IIRC he just turned up on the day with a mutual friend, he had never done one before nor trained for one. As he was an on the day entrant they couldn't start him like everyone else in predicted swim time order so he got put in with the top boys, some of whom have been in national standard events and if memory serves me right one of if not the fastest triathlete in the British fire service. He put in a very good effort indeed.
Not sure about now but he used to be very active with a sunderland running club.
Is it LC?

Still a member of Sunderland Strollers.

Massive respect for whoever put up with dans crack for 55 miles :D

only joking, well done mate
I was pretty much by myself! :lol::lol:

Thanks everyone. Challenging conditions but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Slightly disappointed with my time but that was out of my hands.

Last edited:

I am. I weigh 16 stone 9. I think I've won the 'shire' category for being the quickest finisher who weighs more than 14 stone.

The distance is a bit iffy, my watch added distance on whilst i was inside the checkpoints.

Is it LC?

Thanks everyone. Challenging conditions but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Slightly disappointed with my time but that was out of my hands.

It was yeah

Is it LC?

Well done marra, great run without the poxy conditions.

Back