Damp and Timber property survey

agftm

Goalkeeper
Anyone on here had one done and have any recommendations of a decent company?

In the process of applying for a mortgage and this is a condition the lender has come back with on the valuation report.

Cheers

Anyone here seen a property surveyor go up in the loft to check the roof timbers ?

I certainly haven’t, yet I would have thought that would be one of the most important things to check.

Try Peter Cox.

Sounds like a right feck on.
Not dealt with them for years now but Peter Cox were always a decent outfit.

Have also used a company called Quadriga Ltd, owned and run by an MLF, but I think he closed down his branch at Shields and now only works from Northwich. Not sure if he has surveyors covering NE but worth asking the question

In the process of applying for a mortgage and this is a condition the lender has come back with on the valuation report.

Cheers

We could choose which survey level we wanted. First was a visual inspection about 400. 2nd was a better inspection looking for damp on walls and timber. Attic check on joists etc. Think this was about 550. The next was he 2nd one but they lift up boards on ground and 2nd floor etc and think they test for damp. That was about 800 i think it was. Not sure who did it. Just through natwest

I've seen surveys where they say there's a damp problem but there actually isn't and it's just the surveyor looking for a referral fee from a damp proofing firm. Have you seen the property? Can you actually see or smell a damp problem? A lot of surveyors will test a wall with their moisture meter and say you've got a problem and moisture meters only actually work on wood anyway.

Damp proofing is a big old con. Here's an actual chartered surveyor to explain:

The Fraud of Rising Damp

At the bottom of that article Jeff Howell who has done a column about building and surveying in the Telegraph gor years is quoted. He's worth googling. He had a thing on the internet called Ask Jeff. The more you read about it the more you'll save when you fix it, and fixing it is normally just a case of getting any wall where there's a problem to breathe naturally. People like Peter Cox just inject your damp wall with a load of water based chemicals, increasing the amount of water in the wall then plaster it up with a compound that normally starts letting the damp back through five minutes after the guarantee runs out. Fix the problem not the symptoms. If it's a rendered wall causing the problem you can chop a section of the render off yourself with a cheap angle grinder and kango and the problem is solved for under a hundred quid.

Cheers
Pm me mate

My old neighbour works for them, national company so probably a bit pricier but a decent company by all accounts.

There was a lad on here who worked for them, can’t think who though.
Me,,Big Pete

Last edited:
I've seen surveys where they say there's a damp problem but there actually isn't and it's just the surveyor looking for a referral fee from a damp proofing firm. Have you seen the property? Can you actually see or smell a damp problem? A lot of surveyors will test a wall with their moisture meter and say you've got a problem and moisture meters only actually work on wood anyway.

Damp proofing is a big old con. Here's an actual chartered surveyor to explain:

The Fraud of Rising Damp

At the bottom of that article Jeff Howell who has done a column about building and surveying in the Telegraph gor years is quoted. He's worth googling. He had a thing on the internet called Ask Jeff. The more you read about it the more you'll save when you fix it, and fixing it is normally just a case of getting any wall where there's a problem to breathe naturally. People like Peter Cox just inject your damp wall with a load of water based chemicals, increasing the amount of water in the wall then plaster it up with a compound that normally starts letting the damp back through five minutes after the guarantee runs out. Fix the problem not the symptoms. If it's a rendered wall causing the problem you can chop a section of the render off yourself with a cheap angle grinder and kango and the problem is solved for under a hundred quid.
It was a valuation report from the lender that said a damp and timber inspection is required. I've been in the property with me da whose a joiner and we didn't see any signs of it, the only thing is a faulted pane of glass with condensation in between the double glazing which could have caused suspicion . I don't know if its just the lender being more cautious?

It was a valuation report from the lender that said a damp and timber inspection is required. I've been in the property with me da whose a joiner and we didn't see any signs of it, the only thing is a faulted pane of glass with condensation in between the double glazing which could have caused suspicion . I don't know if its just the lender being more cautious?
How old's the house squire???? Pre 30's houses can be a pain in the arse due to rising damp, you can normally smell it a mile off despite how hard they try to mask it on viewing and it's a f***ing massive job to get shot of unless it's a full renovation project. To be honest it'll be worth paying for the inspection to either give you piece of mind or to negotiate a few grand off the sale price you agreed to, to sort it out if it's riddled.

If it's required then it's required. But if the only evidence of damp is a misted doubled glazed unit then there's no damp, it's a poorly manufactured double glazed unit. If you went in the property after it had been closed up for a few weeks and you can't smell or see anything then you don't have a problem. You could always lift a few boards next to the outside walls and have a good look yourself, checking for damp isn't rocket science. Buy a moisture meter on Amazon and check the skirting boards and joists, don't forget they only work on wood. But as has been said if it helps you knock a few quid of the price and it's required anyway then you've got to get it done. Surely the lender would want to see a report from an actual chartered surveyor though? A damp proofing company is going to tell you you've got damp and you need work done.

Back