Dalian Atkinson - Police on trial

Bird getting tonked by a copper ^

In a man who is covered in blood and has his father by the throat threatening to kill him scenario, who would you send to begin an assessment of the situation and to then determine which agency should deal with it?

Not your employer, given your view at the time of the incident was to exonerate the officers without the need for a trial

Post in thread 'Dalian Atkinson' Dalian Atkinson
Well the problem was it never really worked. The community care act was suppose to enable people with mental health issues to live and be supported in the community and deinstitutionalise.

The reasons why these cases are handled by the police today is that directly after that was implemented there was an increase in sporadic acts of violence by people with mental health issues, hence the knock on that incidents are dealt with by police today.

As a lefty liberal I’m all for decriminalising mental health but it’s tough to justify if their is an increased risk to the public

What never really worked? The community care act you refer to was the dismantling of the necessary services and abandoning the mentally ill and they neighbours to their fate

Last edited:
Not your employer, given your view at the time of the incident was to exonerate the officers without the need for a trial

Post in thread 'Dalian Atkinson' Dalian Atkinson

What never really worked? The community care act you refer to was the dismantling of the necessary services and abandoning the mentally ill and they neighbours to their fate

I missed your answer as to who should be sent in amongst that?
Are you implying the case could not have been resolved by a means/method that didn't result in his death?

Eh? I was asking who should have been sent to deal with a man covered in blood holding his father by the throat threatening to kill him if not the police.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine what's happened is a couple of fairly ordinarily paid people went to start their shift and were faced with a person clearly out of their box. Said person being a rather large chap. Id like to see you walk a mile in their shoes. Particularly as a female officer.

Atkinson died on 15 August 2016 after being tasered by police near his father's house in Trench, Telford.[23] Police had responded to a call as Atkinson threatened to kill his father, Ernest. Atkinson's older brother Kenroy said "My brother had lost it. He was in a manic state and depressed – out of his mind and ranting. He had a tube in his shoulder for the dialysis and he had ripped it out and was covered in blood. He got dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me, our brother Paul and sister Elaine and he had come for him."
If you look at the available information, it seems he was both kicked in the head and hit with a baton when he was incapacitated and no longer a threat. This was after he was tasered well beyond the recommended limit.

If you look at the available information, it seems he was both kicked in the head and hit with a baton when he was incapacitated and no longer a threat. This was after he was tasered well beyond the recommended limit.

There is no recommended limit. A taser will cycle for 5 seconds. This gives an opportunity to detain a subject or to reassess the threat. If a threat still exists it can be recycled to give further time to detain/keep threat under control. As soon as that threat has gone/detained it should be holstered.

If the taser doesnt work at all then its a bad day completely and my baton would be out for that threat level. Ultimately its to detain the male.

Im a little confused by the reports up to now. Stated that 3 cartridges were shot. That long ago i think it will have been an x26 model which only holds 2 and as far as im aware, no other spares are carried on the person. If it was the x2 model there are only 2 shots and cartridges are not stored.

Police officers probably panicked and thought if we don't incapacitate this guy swiftly and definitely then we're going to end up in intensive care.

Call me naive but I just don't think the officers at any point decided ' let's kill this bloke for our own sadistic pleasure'.

Like another poster said it's easy to know how you'd behave until you're in their shoes.
Not taking a full swing so hard you leave imprints of your docs on an incapacitated man's forehead might be a start. Face it the most likely explanation is the black guy scared the cop, the cop lost his temper after he got him down and the cop lost his control.

I missed your answer as to who should be sent in amongst that?

Eh? I was asking who should have been sent to deal with a man covered in blood holding his father by the throat threatening to kill him if not the police.

Dalian Atkinson was known to be having mental health and kidney problems. If we had proper services in place for people with those problems he could (a) not be on his own in a vulnerable situation, and/or (b) be kept tabs on by health professionals who see he's struggling and send in their people and/or (c) when his address is recorded as the source of the disturbance it is flagged as a vulnerable person and an appropriate team goes in.

But in the event the police are the ones who have to deal with him, perhaps not abuse the use of weapons in dealing with him and kick him so hard in the face that the laces and logo of your special shoes for flatfooted people who eat too many doughnuts are embedded in his face

Dalian Atkinson was known to be having mental health and kidney problems. If we had proper services in place for people with those problems he could (a) not be on his own in a vulnerable situation, and/or (b) be kept tabs on by health professionals who see he's struggling and send in their people and/or (c) when his address is recorded as the source of the disturbance it is flagged as a vulnerable person and an appropriate team goes in.

But in the event the police are the ones who have to deal with him, perhaps not abuse the use of weapons in dealing with him and kick him so hard in the face that the laces and logo of your special shoes for flatfooted people who eat too many doughnuts are embedded in his face

So let's say we have this team, on call 24-7, in every town in the country, ready to go out. They have a database of every address that every person with mental health issues is associated to and they go to every and any call to said addresses on the off chance they can resolve whatever issue has arisen there. Including someone who is having a violent episode. Or has already stabbed someone for example. And bearing in mind police deal with hundreds of incidents like this safely every day if the year. This is what you advocate in all seriousness?

Back