Daily Mail article on Maja transfer

whe has maja scored 20 goals in a seaosn...grigg has in this league and we paid less than £3.5m for him..so he must be very cheap inndeed by your "logic"

were the players going for £6m players who had premier league interest and a longer track record of achievement than maja by any chance?
No. Luton and Portsmouth both sold players for £6m.

The chronology and details of that fit in a lot more with what was doing the rounds at the time. For example the threat to sign or be sold in January didn't even get a mention during STID but was widely reported at the time.
It’s no doubt very much an agent led perspective but it’s consistent with what was being reported at the time - and the wider context of things that are known about the deal. What can’t be denied is that - even given the bias of the perspective - it demonstrates the sheer incompetence of the football operation of the business to a man.

I agree..

But if you look at his 2 years here he has been giving the running around by agents and other clubs.

But the story in the DM centres around SD offering 7.5k per week and not 8k as the paper stated, and the DM implied we missed out on Maja signing a contract for £500 per week, which I think is pure crap tbh.

whe has maja scored 20 goals in a seaosn...grigg has in this league and we paid less than £3.5m for him..so he must be very cheap inndeed by your "logic"

were the players going for £6m players who had premier league interest and a longer track record of achievement than maja by any chance?
And a longer record of non achievement, Grigg goals per season average 13 having achieved 20 goals in 4 seasons.
Maja scored 16 in the 1st half of the season he left, pretty sure he would have scored more.

They said they wouldnt pay goal bonus as they're not paying them twice and that's what a striker is paid to do anyway.
Tbf I’m not a fan of individual bonus structures. Creates a situation where players might prioritise their own success over the teams. Far more in favour of collective ones. However the flip side to that is that you have to pay competitively. The arrogance, bluster and lack of understanding demonstrated by Hill, Coton and Donald in their dealings with players left us hamstring before we even started. Far more bothered about playing to the gallery than they were about performing effectively - the absolute story of the Donald era.

While mistakes were made, SD was a bit unlucky in how this panned out.

When he first took over he was busy sorting out ndong, djiliboji etc and maja wasn’t high on the priority list.

Had they got Lyle Taylor or wyke not got injured in pre season it’s unlikely maja would have even been playing and he’d have had time to sort a deal with him. There would have been little interest from elsewhere in him too. Asoro was the one who had made the bigger impact and maja was still an unknown quantity.

Once he was playing and scoring all the power shifted to the player and the agent.

It’s hard to predict the future. Just look at the kimpioka situation. If he takes the 4 year deal we’ve offered and doesn’t progress people will question the logic of giving him so long.

But the story in the DM centres around SD offering 7.5k per week and not 8k as the paper stated, and the DM implied we missed out on Maja signing a contract for £500 per week, which I think is pure crap tbh.
It doesn't. It says £7.5k but they wanted £8k with a release clause of £3.5m.

If true, I can understand why we'd turn it down but then to go out and spend £3m on Grigg and give him a reported £6k per week is nuts.

Since taken over SD has had rings ran around him by agents and other clubs. Wigan played him like a fiddle and I'm sure Bradford did as with Wyke.

While mistakes were made, SD was a bit unlucky in how this panned out.

When he first took over he was busy sorting out ndong, djiliboji etc and maja wasn’t high on the priority list.

Had they got Lyle Taylor or wyke not got injured in pre season it’s unlikely maja would have even been playing and he’d have had time to sort a deal with him. There would have been little interest from elsewhere in him too. Asoro was the one who had made the bigger impact and maja was still an unknown quantity.

Once he was playing and scoring all the power shifted to the player and the agent.

It’s hard to predict the future. Just look at the kimpioka situation. If he takes the 4 year deal we’ve offered and doesn’t progress people will question the logic of giving him so long.
True but coming in and seeing where things went wrong is easy....It's predicting the next shitstorm that separates the men from the boys

He hasn't made a pigs ear of it all, and hes leaving becauuse he said at the start if he felt the fans didnt want him he would leave. The mistake he made was listening to the stupid fan group statement which isn't the opinion of a lot of the fans
Alreet Stewy.

luton i knew about..didnt know the pompey one..
but how long had those guys been operating at league one level..ie was it more than half a season?

It was Justin’s first season at league 1 and previously played in league 2 with them. The same goes for Stacey who went to Bournemouth.
Had maja signed a new deal I wouldn’t have entertained any bids under £10m

Last edited:
And a longer record of non achievement, Grigg goals per season average 13 having achieved 20 goals in 4 seasons.
Maja scored 16 in the 1st half of the season he left, pretty sure he would have scored more.
is that grigg avergae for all leagues or league one only?
if all leagues the count majas one in 17 in the champo to drag his average down..

maja clearly the better player like and going to (maybe already is?) have a better career than grigg..and i must admit he has doe much beter than i thought he would after leaving safc..
It was Justin’s first season at league 1 and previously played in league 2 with them.
Had maja signed a new deal I wouldn’t have entertained any bids under £10m
you wouldnt have got any bids at that level..though if he had done it in the champo subsequrnlty qwould have been telephoine numbers money..

Could SD’s tenure at Eastleigh have left him with the inability to deal with agents?
I think the “sign or you don’t play” model may have worked farther down the pyramid but the higher a club goes the more leverage the agents have. He should be scouring the countryside for a shrewd negotiator.

I can’t believe people still argue about some of this stuff.

Sunderland football club has been for sale since January 2019 and terms has been agreed with 2 separate parties since then, only for them to fall out. The club remains on sale.
indeed. SD has said from day one he wanted to sell some shares, never been a dispute about it.
more recet comments are that he doesnt want to be involved afterwards.
Could SD’s tenure at Eastleigh have left him with the inability to deal with agents?
I think the “sign or you don’t play” model may have worked farther down the pyramid but the higher a club goes the more leverage the agents have. He should be scouring the countryside for a shrewd negotiator.
he has a negotsitor..the point is SD shouldnt be doig the negotiaing..and certainly shouldnt be ignoring the advoice of the manage rhe employs and the negoitiator he employs..

Back