Daft dog got stung by a jellyfish

Looks like he is alright but tad worrying coming out of the sea and thinking the jellyfish was something he could pick up.
Secluded beach in Devon (no not look at me) but a distant walk over the cliff top.
Settled him down and washed his mouth with sea water. It’s been 3 hours now and already eaten 2 beef burgers thus think he is alright.

I know you have some big bastard jelly fish on the NE coast line. Anyone had or heard of the same situation?

Got sent a picture of a helluva sized one the other day.

The football club used to do some pre-season training at the sea front. I don't remember who the manager was at the time but he sent them into the sea to cool off afterwards and Julio Arca got stung by one.

Hope the hound is alright mate but if he's had two burgers i'm guessing so!

Definitely got stung as the kids witnessed it.
Dog came out dragging his mouth on sand, shaking his head then rubbing his paw around his mouth area.
After washing it with sea water we walked him back and he was eating grass. Been over 3 hours now and he looks fine.
2 Daughters both got stung by them at South Shields couple of days ago, was loads of them

What is the symptoms?
How long was the pain and is it like a wasp sting?

Last edited:
Definitely got stung as the kids witnessed it.
Dog came out dragging his mouth on sand, shaking his head then rubbing his paw around his mouth area.
After washing it with sea water we walked him back and he was eating grass. Been over 3 hours now and he looks fine.

What is the symptoms?
How long was the pain and is it like a wasp sting?

just a bit of a rash, said it felt like a nettle sting and lasted about 24 hrs.

Me dad was a fisherman when we grew up and did quite a few salmon seasons drift netting out of sunderland. when the Jellies were in full flow they had to go for a piss using a piece of string so that their nobs didn’t get stung from the residue on their hands.
I’m glad I deal with dead or dying people instead of that shite.
getting bounced about for 12 hours and getting jelly stings wasn’t for me

Looks like he is alright but tad worrying coming out of the sea and thinking the jellyfish was something he could pick up.
Secluded beach in Devon (no not look at me) but a distant walk over the cliff top.
Settled him down and washed his mouth with sea water. It’s been 3 hours now and already eaten 2 beef burgers thus think he is alright.

I know you have some big bastard jelly fish on the NE coast line. Anyone had or heard of the same situation?

One of mine picked one up on Lytham St Annes beach a few year ago, he was eating the sand and licking the carpet in the motorhome. Took him to the vet and they injected him with an epi pen and he was fine. just give him plenty of fluids and make sure his tongue isn't swollen.

We tend to get two types mainly on the NE coast

1 little clear round ones with a purple central ring which don’t appear to sting and can be thrown at each other in jelly fights.

2 lions mane - these are horrible red purple colour and vary in size - they sting and the effects vary from person to person.

I’ve seen photos of huge ones abroad but seen ones bigger than a bin lid at Seaburn.

One of mine picked one up on Lytham St Annes beach a few year ago, he was eating the sand and licking the carpet in the motorhome. Took him to the vet and they injected him with an epi pen and he was fine. just give him plenty of fluids and make sure his tongue isn't swollen.

Nice one. That was the initial worry if his tongue was swollen.
He is fine this Morning and his useful self, a bloody nuisance:)

We tend to get two types mainly on the NE coast

1 little clear round ones with a purple central ring which don’t appear to sting and can be thrown at each other in jelly fights.

2 lions mane - these are horrible red purple colour and vary in size - they sting and the effects vary from person to person.

I’ve seen photos of huge ones abroad but seen ones bigger than a bin lid at Seaburn.
There’s been a large swarm of barrel jellies hit the Devon & Cornwall coasts. We saw a couple on our local beach in Brittany. 2-3 feet across.

Back