Cynicism about Donald et al?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the owners and think they have been a breath of fresh air. I’m really not sure why they have been so misleading about the purchase of the club and the parachute payments. I suspect when they came in they just gave a very simple version without realising every word they say and the accounts would be pored over in minute detail by everyone.
That said the wall of silence that seems to have coincided with all of this coming out and the looking for a takeover this soon rightly raises questions.

Anyone else now coming round to my old man’s way of thinking. Got to be honest, I think there is a rabbit off somewhere.
Well he is right isn’t he? Theres alot of very naive people on here who would rather insult people than open their eyes and see whats going on.

People here keep saying that they have come in and reduced the debt and made the whole thing more stable, it had to be done and any buyer would have had to have done it. I don't see why anyone should be so thankful for this.

What I don't get is that Ellis says he sold the club and into the best hands, but it appears the owners don't have the money, yet to be proven of course. Didn't Ellis also say that there were plenty of other potential buyers?

Anyway I hope the current owners can make a profit if and when they sell if that's what they want to do

The contrast between the " breath of fresh air" style of communication before last season and a complete lack of it now is strange.These are grown successful men who must be savvy re social media and should have understood you get good and negative responses.I am behind them but to go from what we had to nothing rightly raises questions.
The optimism they helped create amongst some of our fanbase is likely to go ..with the " hardcore" staying ( hence good season ticket sales) but those wavering not attending until they see a team winning every week( that's football fans)
Maybe they have decided its time for Jack Ross and the lads to step up and give us something to get behind rather than bombard us with P.R.
I personally would like to hear a little more on what if anything is happening

Anyone else as cynical about Donald et al as my old man?

Seen him yesterday and his opening gambit to me was “have you seen what those two spivs, Donald and slicked back, are up to now. Using the parachute money to buy the club and flipping it for a hefty profit within a year when they knew they never had the money to run it long term.”

Now, let it be said I like SD and I think there is a genuineness to him. I take what he says at face value. However, I’m a fairly trusting person for the most part.

Does anyone share my old man’s view, or is he just a cynical old Sunderland supporter worn down by six decades of largely shite?

it’s become ‘fact’ because of the amount of people blindly sharing the info.

It happens constantly now. People don’t think about what they are sharing or passing on as ‘genuine’ info. They’ll share owt and pass on as fact.

I’ve argued for years that an element of our fan base, and the city as a whole, loves negativity. If Bill Gates bought us tomorrow and signed Messi and Ronaldo, people would still moan.

This ^^
I think it’s more that we have been served almost totally misery for large portions of the last ten years it’s been rarely enjoyable for any prolonged period (a few highs thrown in).

What a difference a year makes,the hype, the rallying calls, the constant interviews,buy this,buy that,we need you, show your faith etc etc it’s as if we are the Mary Celeste of football.

I’ve argued for years that an element of our fan base, and the city as a whole, loves negativity. If Bill Gates bought us tomorrow and signed Messi and Ronaldo, people would still moan.

This ^^

The SOL is a Fookin miserable place 80% of the time.....(Pareto)

I think it’s more that we have been served almost totally misery for large portions of the last ten years it’s been rarely enjoyable for any prolonged period (a few highs thrown in).

It goes beyond ten years though mate. Even when I started going in the late 80’s/early 90’s we had the “I’m not going back till Murray has gone” brigade.

Personally I don't give a shiny shite whether there's been some financial shenanigans or not. Nowt would bother me IF we just played football that was a pleasure to watch. Can't see it coming mind unless pre season so far is just an exercise in lulling our L1 rivals into a sense of false security.

I like the owners and think they have been a breath of fresh air. I’m really not sure why they have been so misleading about the purchase of the club and the parachute payments. I suspect when they came in they just gave a very simple version without realising every word they say and the accounts would be pored over in minute detail by everyone.
That said the wall of silence that seems to have coincided with all of this coming out and the looking for a takeover this soon rightly raises questions.
i agree witht his-but i do think they always wanted to sell on more..thSD was supposed to be a consortium wasnt he..ellis said he sold to a "consortium of international investors"-which isnt true..when ellsi sold juan wasnt even on board..so ellis sold to two english guys..so i reckon SD always intended to get more in..but maybe his original group backed away?

More boradly, I think the cyncisim is justified..the mystery of the £10m has turned me against them a lot..

And I've argued that an element of our fan base quite happily stick their heads in the sand and accept any old shite. Being vigilant, concerned or sceptical doesn't make someone any less of an "uber" fan like yourself.

And I've argued that an element of our fan base quite happily stick their heads in the sand and accept any old shite. Being vigilant, concerned or sceptical doesn't make someone any less of an "uber" fan like yourself.

Having an opinion is fine mate, but some are desperate to find a negative.

Out of my set of mates, I have always found that the most critical are the ones that don’t go to games. It’s almost like they need to find a negative to justify the fact they don’t go the SOL

i think thats fine-but-some folk seem to want to fund a reason not to go..ever..

Out of my set of mates, I have always found that the most critical are the ones that don’t go to games. It’s almost like they need to find a negative to justify the fact they don’t go the SOL
Its all about opinions until fact comes out.

I personally don't shy away from the fact i criticise the current owners, but it still doesnt change the way I feel about the club. For me it's just cautious worry rather than hoping to be proved right.

It goes beyond ten years though mate. Even when I started going in the late 80’s/early 90’s we had the “I’m not going back till Murray has gone” brigade.
It was pretty crap then as well!

There’s probably an element of that as well:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back