Cyclo cross or hybrid?

Esh

Midfield
Advice needed. Im going to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme. My miles will almost all be on the railway paths. Do I get an aluminium hybrid with front shockers or a carbon fibre cyclo cross?

Advice needed. Im going to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme. My miles will almost all be on the railway paths. Do I get an aluminium hybrid with front shockers or a carbon fibre cyclo cross?
People will advice you based on what they have I would imagine. I've got a cyclo cross, but ride it mainly roads. Mines aluminium with carbon forks and it handles railway tracks pot holes and drains no bother. So I would say cyclo cross if you're thinking of extending your rides to weekends. However cyclo cross has the gearing of a road bike (two chain rings) I would imagine a hybrid has the same as a mountain bike (three chain rings) so think about hills.

No need to get a cyclo-cross bike if you get a road bike that has decent clearance for 28/32mm tyres. They tend to be dead racy/uncomfortable too, mine definitely is even with soft tyres.

Road bikes will more likely have eyelets for racks/panniers and full mudguards, plus you won't look like a fanny on a hybrid.

Don't know what the C2W budget is these days, still £1k?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/cda/cda-20

No need to get a cyclo-cross bike if you get a road bike that has decent clearance for 28/32mm tyres. They tend to be dead racy/uncomfortable too, mine definitely is even with soft tyres.

Road bikes will more likely have eyelets for racks/panniers and full mudguards, plus you won't look like a fanny on a hybrid.

Don't know what the C2W budget is these days, still £1k?

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/adventure/cda/cda-20
Thanks for that. Aye its £1000.

What did you end up getting ? Late i know, but don't use this forum much.
If you still haven't bought yet, it'd be a cross bike for me. Just get another set of tyres for road. Will probably come with mud treads on. When its dry, i just put file tread on and cycle road and track. Mrs R has a hybrid, cross and rd. bike and the hybrid hardly gets used.

What did you end up getting ? Late i know, but don't use this forum much.
If you still haven't bought yet, it'd be a cross bike for me. Just get another set of tyres for road. Will probably come with mud treads on. When its dry, i just put file tread on and cycle road and track. Mrs R has a hybrid, cross and rd. bike and the hybrid hardly gets used.
Aye mate
Got a boardman cx team in the end. Mind its snowed ever since!

Back