Cyclists who don't honk or bell.

Close by me there are cycle paths........that are used as a car park by the local garage and the people going to the gym. Only once have I seen a car get a parking ticket there.

Get easier numbers booking cars doing this, rather than speed traps. Both parking and speeding wrong, but highway code regulation ignored for bikes, who have three options.

1. Ride on road parked cars blocking cycle path.
2 Ride on path and cause issues or get pulled
by police.
3. Get off and walk pushing bike.

Lot of anger on this thread :lol:

Why shouldn't they ride on the road ? Cars have no more right to a road than cyclists,
In fact roads were introduced originally for bicycles.

19th century cyclists paved the way for modern motorists’ roads | Cycling | The Guardian

I have no issue with cycles on the road(OK, occasionally an idiot will annoy me but that goes for all road users), if there is no alternative provision for them and they aren't causing an unnecessary hazard to themselves or other road users. The road I'm referring to is a very busy commuter route with a wide cycle path and there are regularly slow cycles on the road at rush hour. It's the application of 'I can so I will' attitude. Remember the cyclist at the silverlink that got ran over by a truck, he was allowed to ride on that road as well.

Only time they annoy me is when they either ride on the road or path ignoring the cycle lane especially made for them.
It does depend on the cycle lane. I have seen quite a few where it is a white line painted down a path, but a cyclist has to stop and give way every 100 yards at each right turn cutting across the path. The expense and effort for cyclists has been 2 tins of paint. The alternative is to go on the road and keep going at a decent speed.

Long uninterrupted cycle lanes I can’t always understand people not using. There are a couple of cyclists who commute using a narrow winding but 60 limit road through the woods near me. As well as slowing rush hour traffic down twice a day, the difficulty people have passing makes it quite a scary ride. There is a lovely off-road cycle track that I use further into the woods, that would add a mile at most to their trip. I can’t understand them being on the road.

It does depend on the cycle lane. I have seen quite a few where it is a white line painted down a path, but a cyclist has to stop and give way every 100 yards at each right turn cutting across the path. The expense and effort for cyclists has been 2 tins of paint. The alternative is to go on the road and keep going at a decent speed.

Long uninterrupted cycle lanes I can’t always understand people not using. There are a couple of cyclists who commute using a narrow winding but 60 limit road through the woods near me. As well as slowing rush hour traffic down twice a day, the difficulty people have passing makes it quite a scary ride. There is a lovely off-road cycle track that I use further into the woods, that would add a mile at most to their trip. I can’t understand them being on the road.

For me, roads are a necessary evil to get from one off-road track to the next. I avoid them at all costs. Not to please drivers, but because the vast majority are not cyclists and don’t give due care or consideration. Add to that: in a fight between me and 1.5Te + car, I loose every time.

For me, roads are a necessary evil to get from one off-road track to the next. I avoid them at all costs. Not to please drivers, but because the vast majority are not cyclists and don’t give due care or consideration. Add to that: in a fight between me and 1.5Te + car, I loose every time.
I tend to stick to off road or marked national routes where I can. It is nicer, safer and you don’t have the noise and fumes. Though in some places it is very hard to avoid.

I've also got shouted at by van drivers for using the cycle path as I "shouldn't be on the pavement". You can't win, man. How dare people ride a bike? Why don't folk on horses get grief? Cos they're lasses probably.
A few months ago I was talking to a bloke who visits 'my' Cemetery (he was in a car), and he was moaning about a cyclist who carried straight on (on a footpath according to him) across the Cemetery exit as he was preparing to drive out of said exit.
I pointed out to him that the 'footpath' in question was actually a cycle lane and that the cyclist actually had right of way.

I have no issue with cycles on the road(OK, occasionally an idiot will annoy me but that goes for all road users), if there is no alternative provision for them and they aren't causing an unnecessary hazard to themselves or other road users. The road I'm referring to is a very busy commuter route with a wide cycle path and there are regularly slow cycles on the road at rush hour. It's the application of 'I can so I will' attitude. Remember the cyclist at the silverlink that got ran over by a truck, he was allowed to ride on that road as well.

I know what you mean, i havent cycled for 12 months, when i was and doing some commutes i would mainly stick to off road cycle paths where i could,
5.5 miles to work i preferred to go the 8 mile route off road, even though i had a decent turn of speed it kept me out of the way of numpties,
(Even on a quiet stretch of road at 6am you can't stop someone smashing into you cos they are txting)

Some hardcore roadies stick to roads as the cycle paths can slow them down and be more dangerous at junctions etc but some fool bumbling along weaving everywhere on a road needs to take a reality check :D

In town here the council says it is stamping down on the nuisance of bikes riding on pavements and fine them, but they aren't because most are eastern europeans or crack heads who don't give a fook and get away with it.
Then others label these idiots as cyclists,

To be fair mate he’s got a point, I’m a cyclist but the amount of knackers that gan fleeing past without a warning gets in my tits. Especially when I’m walking the dog, I always keep hold of her when there’s a bike gan past but can’t if they come bombing out of no where.

Theres a 3 or 4 mile straight cycle/walk path along the river,
I use to cycle or walk dogs,

Dogs off the leads and keeping an eye out i didn't see the sky wánka that came from behind and passed within an inch at 30mph, i nearly shìt :eek:
Then one of my dogs ran across him and he got arsey shaking his heed, i thanked him for the advanced warning he gave and politely offered to wash him and his bike in the river but he carried on his way, :lol:

A far cry from a group of cyclists who sounded their bells well in advance so i gathered the dogs together, they slowed down whilst passing, smiled and thanked me :)

Last edited:
You shouldn't be riding on the pavement, don't know if things have changed, but it used to be a £30 fine If the police could be arsed to enforce it.

The bike mounted policeman who was based at Farra used to ride everywhere on the pavement in full uniform. I even once witnessed him stop at Kayll Rd/Hylton Rd junction and press the green man button to cross the road.

The bike mounted policeman who was based at Farra used to ride everywhere on the pavement in full uniform. I even once witnessed him stop at Kayll Rd/Hylton Rd junction and press the green man button to cross the road.
I'm sure he did, but the law states.

Bicycles are considered vehicles under British law and is illegal to ride a bike on a pavement which has not been designated as a cycle way. The maximum penalty is £500, but it is often dealt with by a £50 fixed penalty notice.

So I was wrong about the amount, but I've not checked in a long time.

I'm sure he did, but the law states.

Bicycles are considered vehicles under British law and is illegal to ride a bike on a pavement which has not been designated as a cycle way. The maximum penalty is £500, but it is often dealt with by a £50 fixed penalty notice.

So I was wrong about the amount, but I've not checked in a long time.

I think you’ve missed my point. You mentioned ‘if the police could be arsed to enforce it’. Not only do they not (not like they did when I was a kid anyway), they’ve even took to not bothering adhering to this law themselves.

A few months ago I was talking to a bloke who visits 'my' Cemetery (he was in a car), and he was moaning about a cyclist who carried straight on (on a footpath according to him) across the Cemetery exit as he was preparing to drive out of said exit.
I pointed out to him that the 'footpath' in question was actually a cycle lane and that the cyclist actually had right of way.

That was him telt. You made him your bitch.

I think you’ve missed my point. You mentioned ‘if the police could be arsed to enforce it’. Not only do they not (not like they did when I was a kid anyway), they’ve even took to not bothering adhering to this law themselves.
I acknowledged that, with the first line of my reply, they also turn a blind eye to bikes without lights riding in the dark, it's a joke, the police are so short staffed they can't do the job, the same reason we have people parking on pavements etc, the bottom line is, it's the governments fault for all the cuts.

Back