Cyclists on mobile phones

I don't do it, but as long as you're still alert and looking constantly then I doubt it affects you that much. It's rare your hearing is the thing keeping you safe on the road, it's about anticiping things ahead of you.

This.....and also most road accidents occur when getting hit from behind, unlikely that being musi
One of the great things about being out on the bike is the peace and solitude. Why the fuck would anyone take a phone.

Had the odd mechanical or mishap where glad I’ve been able to call for assistance or lift home

I'm all for changing the law to be honest.....problem is it will be nigh on impossible to enforce fully.

The recent increase in penalties for motorists hasn't made a difference.........drivers that do it are still prepared to gamble they wont get caught.

Plod have got better things to be getting on with to be fair...

I don't do it, but as long as you're still alert and looking constantly then I doubt it affects you that much. It's rare your hearing is the thing keeping you safe on the road, it's about anticiping things ahead of you.
Got to disagree, hearing is one of your main tools to help anticipate a hazard. Especially on a bike where you make no noise. Even in a truck it can get you out of trouble.

OP hates cyclists.

I don’t mind those who obey the rules of the road. You don’t see leisure cyclists where I live. Usually just scratters in trackies, from bairns up to middle aged blokes.

Worst I’ve ever seen was a cyclist filtering beteeen two lanes at the traffic lights. On a one way street. Coming TOWARDS the traffic.

At that point I realised the cyclists here just do not give a fuck.

I’d just like to have parity amongst all road users. I posted this thread because I’ve just seen someone doing it whilst cycling down the high street.

If it’s considered a dangerous distraction on a car, surely it should be the same for other road users. A cyclist texting or calling someone is cycling with one hand and is distracted. That could cause an accident.

Likewise, I believe Hawaii brought in a law that you couldn’t use your phone whilst crossing the road. Makes sense to me. Apparently people aren’t looking up and just crossing.
You want bikers to wear seat-belts?

Could you give an example? Genuine question.

Plenty of deaf and hearing impaired people cycle.

All about your own personal perception of risk tbf.......if i'm on my road bike I never wear headphones and listen to anything......along a shared cycle path like hadrians way I'd be quite happy to put a podcast or a bit of background music on....even thats very rare mind.

All about your own personal perception of risk tbf.......if i'm on my road bike I never wear headphones and listen to anything......along a shared cycle path like hadrians way I'd be quite happy to put a podcast or a bit of background music on....even thats very rare mind.

This is a valid point. When I was young, I'd take my Walkman out and listen to music while riding. This is something I never do now.

Similarly, I would never get my phone out on a road (I try to avoid roads wherever possible), but I have looked at my phone, checked messages and ride stats while riding, but only on disused railway lines and only then, where there's no-one else around to crash into.

It's basic common sense really.

Could you give an example? Genuine question.

Plenty of deaf and hearing impaired people cycle.

Just personal experience, I have no doubt that deaf people can cycle equally as well and safely as me but there is no way I would cycle with my hearing voluntarily impaired. Even traffic coming behind you as CJ says you have no control over but at least you know it's coming.

Back