Cyclists on mobile phones

I’d just like to have parity amongst all road users. I posted this thread because I’ve just seen someone doing it whilst cycling down the high street.

If it’s considered a dangerous distraction on a car, surely it should be the same for other road users. A cyclist texting or calling someone is cycling with one hand and is distracted. That could cause an accident.

Likewise, I believe Hawaii brought in a law that you couldn’t use your phone whilst crossing the road. Makes sense to me. Apparently people aren’t looking up and just crossing.

A distracted cyclist is likely to knack themselves though, whereas a distracted car driver is likely to seriously injure or kill someone with zero harm to themselves. The dangers are proportional.

I don't condone this btw, I've only ever used my phone on side streets when there's no one about and I'm not travelling at any sort of pace. You're taking a risk to be doing anything other than be paying full attention to drivers not looking, car doors opening, potholes etc.

A distracted cyclist is likely to knack themselves though, whereas a distracted car driver is likely to seriously injure or kill someone with zero harm to themselves. The dangers are proportional.

I don't condone this btw, I've only ever used my phone on side streets when there's no one about and I'm not travelling at any sort of pace. You're taking a risk to be doing anything other than be paying full attention to drivers not looking, car doors opening, potholes etc.

I agree the consequences of a driver being distracted are likely to be far more severe, but a cyclist could still cause an accident, or be involved in one that isn’t their fault but could have been avoided if they’d been paying attention, like as you say a car door.

Phone always on silent and in jersey pocket..can't imagine wanting or needing to use the phone while out riding.

While the cyclists referred to may have been on a bike I think there is a difference between the kids and scratters pulling wheelies etc and those commuting or out for a proper ride.

All labelled cyclists but imo worlds apart

It should be banned. Like a few have said, if it is a distraction for a driver then it is a distraction for a cyclist. While a cyclist does not have the speed and momentum of a car they are far more likely to be stepped out in front of than a car. If that happens you need to be able to pull both breaks and have full control of your steering. You can't do that with a phone in your hand.

Dunno about cyclists, but I just followed some prick driving his white van up Silksworth lane - he was on his phone and swerving all over the place.
He had a local bathroom place on Blind Lane emblazened on the van. So hopefully he might get to read this. Or if some fellow board member knows him- tell him to stop it. It is dangerous.

you need to be able to pull both breaks and have full control of your steering. You can't do that with a phone in your hand.
i saw a kid riding to the comp on Mill Lane in Hebburn... he was on a MTB, no cycling helmet, texting away with both hands on the mobilephone...

my first thought was, hats off for having the skills to ride all the way down mill lane 'no handed'... :lol:

can't imagine wanting or needing to use the phone while out riding.
i'll admit to having taken the odd photo or three whilst riding... :oops:

Hate to see cyclist with headphones on generally.

They are the most vulnerable vehicle on the road, why would they choose to cut off one of their senses!

I use earphones on the road...quiet enough to hear.I can certainly hear cars/vans coming and if busy traffic would always pull out earbuds.
Also can get the earphones( bone conductor) which enable you to hear everything while listening to music.

Hate to see cyclist with headphones on generally.

They are the most vulnerable vehicle on the road, why would they choose to cut off one of their senses!

I don't do it, but as long as you're still alert and looking constantly then I doubt it affects you that much. It's rare your hearing is the thing keeping you safe on the road, it's about anticiping things ahead of you.

Back