Cyclist found jointly liable for hitting pedestrian in road reading mobile

Nee pics of lass before judgement is made by the SMB jury? Shocking to say the least as it's an open and shut case in favour of the lass ;) :lol:

Yoga teacher staring at her phone when hit by a cyclist wins compensation | Daily Mail Online

I see her Tw@tter and Inst@shan profiles have gone the journey and chances are it was due to trolls.

I love the top voted comment on the Daily Mail link! :lol: :lol:

If you walk off a cliff while looking at your phone it's the cliffs fault then.

I get people stepping out in front of me a fair bit. A fair number of them on their phone, and plenty more with headphones on. Someone steps off a kerb at short notice, they are living on borrowed time. Even on quiet streets/roads pedestrians cross by sound. They can't hear a vehicle so its far too much trouble to turn their head.
I've not read opened the link, but cannot see how the cyclist is to blame,based on others comments. You need to be a grade A twat to sue and blame someone else when you caused the accident.

Edit. Just seen the pics. Cyclist is clearly guuilty as fuck.

Last edited:
I see loads of cyclists on their phones. I just pip the horn at them.

i think the "no phones" law, should extend to cyclists. far easier to stop your bike and answer your phone (if you really need to). quick hand signal and get off the road or cycle path. imo, you need all your wits about you, when you're on a bike.

I get people stepping out in front of me a fair bit. A fair number of them on their phone, and plenty more with headphones on. Someone steps off a kerb at short notice, they are living on borrowed time. Even on quiet streets/roads pedestrians cross by sound. They can't hear a vehicle so its far too much trouble to turn their head.
I've not read opened the link, but cannot see how the cyclist is to blame,based on others comments. You need to be a grade A twat to sue and blame someone else when you caused the accident.

The cyclist had time to blast the horn at her, so he saw the hazard, reacted to it, and decided not to slow down.

Plenty people hit people after sounding horns and shouting,its called minimum stopping distance ,she moved then jumped back into his path

In a car, yes. What’s the stopping distance on a bicycle doing 20mph?

Google reckons 5m or 15ft. He’s not entirely at fault but he is to some degree at fault.

I think it's an arrogance that many cyclists especially the militant ones and drivers have. That once it's green it's fair game.
I suspect he knew the timings of the lights and approached them at a speed he knew he would be able to get through quickly as soon as it's green - but not factoring in the zombies or those twats who still think they can make it across.
I think both at fault is correct here.

My initial reaction was stupid cow and what was the judge thinking? but it is more nuanced than what I first thought.

I don't really understand how the cyclist is at all responsible here. I'm teaching my kids to look left and right as they cross the road because roads are dangerous This fool hasn't looked at all for the danger and yet has blamed the cyclist. If it had been a car she'd be dead. Would a car travelling under the speed limit be blamed? People need to take responsibility for their actions
Reading between the lines the cyclist had time to stop but instead called for her to get out of the way. She had a moment of panic and actually stepped into the path of the cyclist.

Where I live, I encounter very few commuter cyclists. The vast majority are teenage lads and young men. They’re the biggest danger on the roads I’ve ever seen.

The young lads often have their lass or their mate on the bike with them, not on the back though, they sit on the handlebars, so the bike can’t stop and the rider can’t see or steer properly.

Combine that with jumping traffic lights, going from pavement to road, cutting people up at junctions...it’s a nightmare
Sounds stressful as fuck

In a car, yes. What’s the stopping distance on a bicycle doing 20mph?

Google reckons 5m or 15ft. He’s not entirely at fault but he is to some degree at fault.
Sounds like the judge and you haven't cycled or rode a motorbike .He saw her, sounded a horn ,shouted(whilst trying to slow ) ,spotted a path which wouldn't involve hitting her then she stepped into that very path .That little process happens umpteens on two wheel journey to a lesser or similar degree ,bit like pot holes ,dead things,diesel spills etc ,pets ,slow road crossers who shouldn't be crossing and people who nearly step out and jump back .You're looking at it like a one off isolated experiment where they just emergency stop at every possible incident .Poor old guy killed at whitburn at the weekend,stepped out in front of a motorbike ,no one speeding .He shouldn't have stepped out ,simple as .

You for not checking your mirror. A motorcyclist did the same to me, overtook me as I was turning right. If I hadn’t have caught him in my mirror at the last minute, he would have died.

Idiots.
not sure who examples of people doing stuff wrong proves anything for people not doing something wrong

Last edited:
Sounds like the judge and you haven't cycled or rode a motorbike .He saw her, sounded a horn ,shouted(whilst trying to slow ) ,spotted a path which wouldn't involve hitting her then she stepped into that very path .That little process happens umpteens on two wheel journey to a lesser or similar degree ,bit like pot holes ,dead things,diesel spills etc ,pets ,slow road crossers who shouldn't be crossing and people who nearly step out and jump back .You're looking at it like a one off isolated experiment where they just emergency stop at every possible incident .Poor old guy killed at whitburn at the weekend,stepped out in front of a motorbike ,no one speeding .He shouldn't have stepped out ,simple as .

not sure who examples of people doing stuff wrong proves anything for people not doing something wrong
She attempted to step back onto to the pavement which strangely was the same direction the cyclist took. Maybe he thought he was just doing the usual "im on the road, on the path, then road again" dance. (ps i am a cyclist ;) )

Why didn’t the cyclist slow down? Why didn’t he stop?
3 witnesses said he couldn't avoid her ,the judges patter is all road users should expect the unexpected or words to that effect.Tell me about it ,I saved my own life on Friday doing exactly that .If it was a car doing 25mph in a 30 she'd be probably dead and it would her fault ,agree ?

Back