Cycling with knee/back pain

I did the Great North Run last year, and that seems to be what caused the knee pain as I'd never really had any bother with it before that. I haven't run since.

Cycling is generally a lot less impactful than running. So it's probably the better option for dodgy knees.

For bad backs, it depends what causes it. For some, back issues are caused by tight hips etc, so cycling can actually be good for it.

All depends really.

Cheers. I wasn't thinking about running (ever again!) but cycling might be something to think about.

I'm generally a swimmer, which is clearly the best all round.

Cheers. I wasn't thinking about running (ever again!) but cycling might be something to think about.

I'm generally a swimmer, which is clearly the best all round.

Aye swimming is great, but I personally don't enjoy it. I just find it a bit boring.

Whereas running and cycling at least gets me outdoors.

I got into running during lockdown and loved it. Then I knacked my left knee and tried cycling for a bit. Found it really boring, I much prefer running.

Then I knacked my right knee and five months later, its still fucked. There might be a lesson in there somewhere.

What irks me the most is that the boss here at my new-ish job is a year older than me and runs ultra-marathons and does triathlons competitively in Israel. The bastard.

And his wife is unbelievably hot too.
The swine
Get a bike fit done, especially if you use a road bike.

Also this.

A good friend of mine was training for an ironman when I did a 60km cycle with him.. He was in great shape and much fitter than me in every respect, but on a rented bike he couldn't keep up with me on my custom fit Wilier.

Last edited:

Back