Cycling track

ywcmackem

Winger
I'm looking for a cycle track suitable to take my 8 year old son. Somewhere where I can leave the car, jump on the bikes and peddle for 5 or 6 mile or so then stop to get him an ice cream and then cycle back. Anywhere that would take us to Seaham would be ideal so we can call at Lickey Splits. Needs to be off road as don't like him riding when cars are flying past. Normally do Castle Eden walkway from Thorpe Thewles to Station Town but fancy a change of scenery.

The Derwent Valley one goes from Consett to Durham. Flat because it's the old wagon way. Ice cream at Lancaster. Or that same track goes in the other direction from Durham to Bishop.

The main cycle track (the lines) bring you out at Seaton, so main roads would be unavoidable to get to Lickety Splits. However, you could ride from South Hetton and along the road to nowhere before joining the coast road (it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path). To add a couple of miles on you could start off on the lines at Haswell along the lines then join route I describe above past the newsagents on main street in South Hetton.

The main cycle track (the lines) bring you out at Seaton, so main roads would be unavoidable to get to Lickety Splits. However, you could ride from South Hetton and along the road to nowhere before joining the coast road (it's a shared pedestrian/cycle path). To add a couple of miles on you could start off on the lines at Haswell along the lines then join route I describe above past the newsagents on main street in South Hetton.
I run along there often and it's full of wankers on peds

You could park at Herrington country park, head East towards Silksworth/ Doxford. Theres a track that takes you to Ryhope. Short ride to Seaham from there.
You could also park at Hetton country park. Theres a track between the park and the quarry, takes you onto the South hetton/Ryhope track. Turn right at Ryhope or you'll end up in the sea.

Best by a long way is seaton imo.

Park at north end and youve a couple of mile of 4m wide footpath miles from cars to ice cream n chips then 2m back again.
You can extend it by parking a mile further away where houses start.

Ideal.

Google chandlers close hartlepool then pan south.

Best by a long way is seaton imo.

Park at north end and youve a couple of mile of 4m wide footpath miles from cars to ice cream n chips then 2m back again.
You can extend it by parking a mile further away where houses start.

Ideal.

Google chandlers close hartlepool then pan south.

How would you get down to the harbour from Seaton without going along a main road? Might just be being daft here.

The Sunderland to Stanley/Consett old railway one used to be a good cycle - though I have not been that way for years.

I used to join it at Washington (just behind Makro) and cycle up towards Stanley. I'm not sure about stopping off places though. Possibly Beamish. You come out at Anfield Plain and next to a supermarket where you could get an ice cream.

It is a very gentle incline and you feel like you are on the flat, until you turn around to come home and barely need to pedal.

How would you get down to the harbour from Seaton without going along a main road? Might just be being daft here.

Big wide path from marina to seaton.

From marina go down past maccy ds then over 2 roundabouts n yer at the start.

Im talking seaton carew like, are you?

Last edited:
That's Seaton Carew to us that don't hang monkeys mate
Theres a canny ice cream shop in Seaton Carew anarl

Ahhh now I'm with it! Aye, next to the bowling alley.

Mind there's a good one in Seaham which doesn't get as much coverage as the other two..Nicey Icey down the Marina.

Back