Cycling Routes

Super Ted

Striker
Morning All, I am looking to get back out on my road bike but i'm not that familiar with decent routes for cyclists across the North East be honest. I would prefer to be on roads as i want to build up some decent pace / distance but I always seem to end up having to stop and navigate around avoiding dual carriageways :lol:

Can anyone recommend either an app, website or anything else they use when out and about on a road bike? Can you pre-populate routes into your iPhone and use it as essentially a sat-nav as you go?

Thanks.

You got strava? It will auto-create routes for you. You say whether you want road/dirt, hilly/flat & distance and it looks through millions of users routes and segments to create them. You can then save them to your profile. If you have a cycling head unit like a wahoo or garmin you can load them to it.

The other one is Komoot. It’s an app that will use your location to create a random route. Or you can create your own. You can then view it on phone, a head unit or an Apple Watch.

Depends where you live. I live at Seaham and head out towards durham thro the villages. If going further then on to Lanchester or consert etc some lovely quiet roads past Houghton.

You got strava? It will auto-create routes for you. You say whether you want road/dirt, hilly/flat & distance and it looks through millions of users routes and segments to create them. You can then save them to your profile. If you have a cycling head unit like a wahoo or garmin you can load them to it.

The other one is Komoot. It’s an app that will use your location to create a random route. Or you can create your own. You can then view it on phone, a head unit or an Apple Watch.
I've got Strava but only the basic version, Do you need the paid version to be able to create routes? Can you then synch it with your phone so you can essentially use it as a Sat Nav?

I've got Strava but only the basic version, Do you need the paid version to be able to create routes? Can you then synch it with your phone so you can essentially use it as a Sat Nav?

You can just run the app on your phone with the route active mate. I dunno if it has to be a paid version. It’s on the bottom row where it says maps on mine.

Morning All, I am looking to get back out on my road bike but i'm not that familiar with decent routes for cyclists across the North East be honest. I would prefer to be on roads as i want to build up some decent pace / distance but I always seem to end up having to stop and navigate around avoiding dual carriageways :lol:

Can anyone recommend either an app, website or anything else they use when out and about on a road bike? Can you pre-populate routes into your iPhone and use it as essentially a sat-nav as you go?

Thanks.
Have you considered any of the Sustrans routes. Some onroad, some offroad, but if you're lucky to be near some offroad sections then it's just a little safe for you.

Then you can have joggers like me curse the MAMYL Lycra menace having no consideration for other path users. :D

Have you considered any of the Sustrans routes. Some onroad, some offroad, but if you're lucky to be near some offroad sections then it's just a little safe for you.

Then you can have joggers like me curse the MAMYL Lycra menace having no consideration for other path users. :D
It's more-so having the ability to have something on my phone so as i cycle, I can follow the navigation in real time. I know most areas around here, but if i want to get 50 miles in, I'm venturing into areas I don't know (other than dual carriageways / motorways) that i can't cycle on.

It's more-so having the ability to have something on my phone so as i cycle, I can follow the navigation in real time. I know most areas around here, but if i want to get 50 miles in, I'm venturing into areas I don't know (other than dual carriageways / motorways) that i can't cycle on.
using Strava and searching other people's routes is the one, worth paying for it if you can. I live Whitburn and some good loops up to Newcastle or the other way up to Penshaw. If your willing to take in a bit of cyclepath gravel good routes up towards Consett, Tanfield railway etc as well.

Back