Cycling route planner, national cycle routes?

DaveH

Striker
Does anyone know of any good cycle route planners that can favour national cycle routes?

I’m looking at doing some more long distance cycling ( trying to build uo to a 100 mile day) and was mainly going to stick to the national routes, because they are signposted. If I have my phone screen on all day for satnav, it will flatten the battery pretty quickly. As well as the en-route I want to know routes and distances while planning.

In an ideal world I would have the route on my strava so if I get a bit lost I can look it up.

So far the best way I have found is to have one window showing the national cycle routes and one showing strava, and manually copy them. Even the bikehub app will show the routes then ignore them in favour of a busy road.

Does anyone know of any good cycle route planners that can favour national cycle routes?

I’m looking at doing some more long distance cycling ( trying to build uo to a 100 mile day) and was mainly going to stick to the national routes, because they are signposted. If I have my phone screen on all day for satnav, it will flatten the battery pretty quickly. As well as the en-route I want to know routes and distances while planning.

In an ideal world I would have the route on my strava so if I get a bit lost I can look it up.

So far the best way I have found is to have one window showing the national cycle routes and one showing strava, and manually copy them. Even the bikehub app will show the routes then ignore them in favour of a busy road.
Try a search for Komoot, it will do all you need and more :)

Try a search for Komoot, it will do all you need and more :)
The options on that seem pretty limited when it comes to route planning, The national cycle routes are not marked and all three of the cycling types take me down a major A road for many miles. Out of the ones I have looked at, komoot seems to be the most dangerous cycle route planner!

The options on that seem pretty limited when it comes to route planning, The national cycle routes are not marked and all three of the cycling types take me down a major A road for many miles. Out of the ones I have looked at, komoot seems to be the most dangerous cycle route planner!
You’re obviously not looking at it we’re well!

How do you get the routes up then and tell it to prefer them?

I think I have found a nice solution. The route planner on www.bikemap.net seems really good. It shows national cycle routes (without numbers unfortunately ) and seems to default to quiet routes. Times when it strays away you can drag it back on course.

Once set you can export as a GPX and import into Strava. That looks like it will give me the balance of a nice planning tool while sat at home, I can use the things I like the most about Strava and have the route plotted on the real time map if I need.

I’ll give it a go this weekend and see if it works. Hopefully this info will be useful to others.

Last edited:

Back