Cycling hill climbs

SnakeEyes

Midfield
I cycle about 20km a day, travelling to and from work. There's a beast of a hill on my way back, it's a 200 meter climb. Is that a lot? Just my legs are constantly aching. Especially once I pass the 3rd day.

Any tips on helping with this problem, would be appreciated. I was considering buying a foam roller.

Unfortunately there is no other route. I’m hoping you’re right and my body does adjust. It’s had going atm.
Some blue sky thinking:

Walk up the hill occasionally instead of cycling up it.

Buy one of those electric motors for your bike.

Make sure that you have refuelled before setting off - some slow release carbs or a sports drink?

Is your job sedentary or are you on your feet all day?

If it gets too much is there an alternative mode of transport on a Wednesday so that you have a break?

Do f@ck all at the weekend

I cycle about 20km a day, travelling to and from work. There's a beast of a hill on my way back, it's a 200 meter climb. Is that a lot? Just my legs are constantly aching. Especially once I pass the 3rd day.

Any tips on helping with this problem, would be appreciated. I was considering buying a foam roller.
If you don't mind me joining in Gents..

If you're doing 200 mtrs straight up you're doing f***ing marvellous. Seriously, your saddle might be too low which will make hard work for your legs. After checking your saddle, bars are the right heights just keep plugging away, as you become fitter it will soon be a piece of piss.

Some blue sky thinking:

Walk up the hill occasionally instead of cycling up it.

Buy one of those electric motors for your bike.

Make sure that you have refuelled before setting off - some slow release carbs or a sports drink?

Is your job sedentary or are you on your feet all day?

If it gets too much is there an alternative mode of transport on a Wednesday so that you have a break?

Do f@ck all at the weekend

I did use to walk the hill, but its took a lot of practice to get up it lol. Ive just invested in a new road bike, which arrives next week.

What gearing have you got and are you spinning at an efficient cadence?

Tbh I'm not sure whats on my MTB atm. But Ive just invested in my first road bike. Its a Trek Emonda alr5. It has the shimano 105 group set on it.

2019 Trek Emonda ALR 5

Last edited:
200m climb in one short blast? Where do you live, the Pennines? That's a massive climb, I don't do half that in total on my 19k commute

There's a gradual climb then 2 big massive fuckers right at the end of my 10km. I can't get a screen shot to upload of my ride. I live in NZ, right near the top of a git big massive hill :lol::lol:

There's a gradual climb then 2 big massive fuckers right at the end of my 10km. I can't get a screen shot to upload of my ride. I live in NZ, right near the top of a hit big massive hill :lol::lol:

Ah right, the NZ thing puts a whole new perspective on it all :lol:

Lose some timber or change gearing...going up same hill again and again will make you stronger.
Is the climb on Strava ? 200 metres but how long is the actual climb ?

I can't go any where without a hill getting in my way lol. I'm hoping my swap from a mountain bike with slicks on, to a road bike will help.

View media item 4723

Managed to get the screen shot.
Hard to tell from that screenshot but it might be that you're going to fast at the beginning. Try to do a pace that you can sustain the whole way and change down to your easiest gear as you run out of momentum after coming down the hill before. It can also help to get out the saddle for a few seconds to stretch out your back. Keep your chest up as you'll get more air in when you are in the saddle.

I've switched to a road bike now. It's took a couple of weeks to get use to the different gearing compared to my mtb. I've slightly altered my route too. I still have to do the same hill, but it's on less of a gradient and climbs more steadily. The difference between a road and mtb is massive. I knew it would be different but I didn't fully appreciate it.

Anyway the change in bike and route has helped massively. I also invested in a foam roller which I use a couple if times a week. Gets rid of the muscle knots pretty well. Cheers for all the advice.

Back